People that work from home

I'm in the office today. A couple of road closures made it a 2 hour 35 journey. The desk I booked has a chair on it that I think was only designed for short people. It feels like it is tipping forward all the time and I can't see a way to adjust it and the back is far too close to the middle of the seat. There are some really tiny people where I work and it takes ages to get a chair right for a tall person. I am by a window, looking out on to a couple of dull rooftops.

And to cap it all off, because a couple of people (who live far closer than I do) have said at the last minute they can't come in for the meeting that was the main reason for coming in, it is switching to online and we will use one of the video conference rooms. I've driven all this way to meet people who are not here.

Tomorrow I'd be back to having more healthy food rather than from the local shop, zero commute, a comfy chair and nice desk set up. I'll likely to half an hour of guitar playing in my dinner break and when I look out of the window I see my garden. There has been a Jay very active each morning, and I'll have the dog lying by my side.

Working from home wins for me.

When I returned to the office after covid, I found it was mainly the bullies, gossipers and shit stirrers that were happiest to be back. I hadn’t even took my first sip of coffee before overhearing the same suspects tearing into people. Love WFH away from all that sort.
Yep I try to make my office days those when others are WFH. There are a few women nearby who just gossip and talk about telly, grandkids, weddings, Royal family etc etc etc much of the day. Find I'm increasingly looking at when they're WFH and going into the office then

I'm in the office today. A couple of road closures made it a 2 hour 35 journey. The desk I booked has a chair on it that I think was only designed for short people. It feels like it is tipping forward all the time and I can't see a way to adjust it and the back is far too close to the middle of the seat. There are some really tiny people where I work and it takes ages to get a chair right for a tall person. I am by a window, looking out on to a couple of dull rooftops.

And to cap it all off, because a couple of people (who live far closer than I do) have said at the last minute they can't come in for the meeting that was the main reason for coming in, it is switching to online and we will use one of the video conference rooms. I've driven all this way to meet people who are not here.

Tomorrow I'd be back to having more healthy food rather than from the local shop, zero commute, a comfy chair and nice desk set up. I'll likely to half an hour of guitar playing in my dinner break and when I look out of the window I see my garden. There has been a Jay very active each morning, and I'll have the dog lying by my side.

Things like this just summarise why it just needs to be a full move, where appropriate. It's wasted almost 3 hours of your time travelling there, could be similar getting back, crap desk/chair setup etc etc.. it's no good.

You either work for Willy Wonka or in early Christmas Eve logistics planning at the North Pole?

Things like this just summarise why it just needs to be a full move, where appropriate. It's wasted almost 3 hours of your time travelling there, could be similar getting back, crap desk/chair setup etc etc.. it's no good.
I’m expected to visit the office once a week. Last week I had to leave the house at 10ish, so I started WFH at 7am, travelled at 10, worked until 6pm, came home. I didn’t have to attend any meetings, I could have worked at home all day as usual.

It went quite well as I avoided the peak traffic, I think that a basis of working ‘core hours’ is decent but we still need to separate work from seeping into downtime.

I've had the same. With a client from Hereford. 5 and a half hours drive with an overnight and some local people didn't come in for it. Annoying as hell. Still, needed to show the effort but it was pretty disrespectful of them. Client was a nightmare mind.

On my new one we have a pretty disbursed team. Main office is in Canary Wharf and we were expecting to be going in once a week. But with about 12 of us we were never going to get everyone in at the same time so I just said unless we can guarantee everyone in the office then it's pointless having some on teams and some in the room. Meetings are way less productive like that than having all online. So now not having to do the travelling I'd thought I was. Bit of a bonus.

Yep I try to make my office days those when others are WFH. There are a few women nearby who just gossip and talk about telly, grandkids, weddings, Royal family etc etc etc much of the day. Find I'm increasingly looking at when they're WFH and going into the office then
Ahh the famous unproductive U.K. workforce at its best!

I’m expected to visit the office once a week. Last week I had to leave the house at 10ish, so I started WFH at 7am, travelled at 10, worked until 6pm, came home. I didn’t have to attend any meetings, I could have worked at home all day as usual.

It went quite well as I avoided the peak traffic, I think that a basis of working ‘core hours’ is decent but we still need to separate work from seeping into downtime.

Crackers when they enforce rules like that. Where is the common sense?! I get it if you need to go into the office, or to a client site for a workshop/kick off session etc etc... but just to tick a box makes no sense.

Was meant to be meeting a colleague in Newcastle today. We've sacked it off due to the weather so it's another day wasting money on heating n that.
The weather, I hate it when people cry off over a bit rain or cold. It’s not even raining either. Generally the sort whose skin wouldn’t graft.

The weather, I hate it when people cry off over a bit rain or cold. It’s not even raining either. Generally the sort whose skin wouldn’t graft.
Before WFH was available, a colleague from Sheffield managed to drive to Nottingham for work when there’d been a snowfall.

Some of the local residents couldn’t be arsed to make the effort of getting to the office. I appreciate that bus routes could be affected but many people don’t even try to do difficult things.

Before WFH was available, a colleague from Sheffield managed to drive to Nottingham for work when there’d been a snowfall.

Some of the local residents couldn’t be arsed to make the effort of getting to the office. I appreciate that bus routes could be affected but many people don’t even try to do difficult things.
Sums them up. I might include it in future interviews I do.

If you have an import any meeting in the office and it’s raining heavily outside, what would you do?

A - Put on a big coat and make my way to work
B - Say I’ll just work from home today as I don’t value other people’s time
C - Just take the day off and say I’ll catch up the rest of the week as I’ve left my laptop at work and don’t want to get wet

When the ‘Beast from the East’ happened it felt like a fun expedition getting to the office :lol:

I did ditch the car because I expected the roads to be shite and would have had some sketchy hills to contend with. Surprisingly the metro was still running though, so 20 minute walk to the station roughly either side of the journey, big coat on, hiking boots, nobody else out.

Sums them up. I might include it in future interviews I do.

If you have an import any meeting in the office and it’s raining heavily outside, what would you do?

A - Put on a big coat and make my way to work
B - Say I’ll just work from home today as I don’t value other people’s time
C - Just take the day off and say I’ll catch up the rest of the week as I’ve left my laptop at work and don’t want to get wet
:lol:You can’t discriminate on wimpiness grounds!

The difference in ye olden dayes was that if you didn’t turn up you got a bollocking and/or docked pay.

Back