People that work from home

Totally agree with this.

I always thought it was a whiteboard though, not wipeboard. Both would make sense.
Only asking because for years I thought those yellow tag bits of paper were Post-Sticks, not Post-Its. Only found out when I looked at the plastic wrapper that they come in.
You are right. I've never been quite sure and use both!

Totally agree with this.

I always thought it was a whiteboard though, not wipeboard. Both would make sense.
Only asking because for years I thought those yellow tag bits of paper were Post-Sticks, not Post-Its. Only found out when I looked at the plastic wrapper that they come in.
You can't say whiteboard anymore without getting arrested. ;)
I always assumed it was whiteboard but could see why the name may have changed.

What sort of monitoring system does Brian's gaff have? Sounds like instead of using systems, data and processes to track progess they just stand over peoples shoulders watching :lol:

And what's with all the runway patter!?

Apparently a happenstance coffee chat is a robust business process for identifying escalations to senior leadership.

Nee wonder his firm is running out of runway.

lots of countries recognising the benefits of enticing foreigners who don't need to attend an office in their home country regularly (or at all)

It sounds attractive but there is a pretty big difference between working from home and being a digital nomad.

Most people working from home will have an employer that wouldn't allow them to work outside the UK for data security / tax / logistical reasons. Or simply because it's a headache they don't need.

There's also visa considerations and minimum income required for most countries.

Though if I was single and worked freelance it would be a canny life for a few years dodging from place to place.

I just had a meeting with someone who did go into the office today. The heating has broken and it is apparently freezing in there. A few people are going home at dinner time and generally people are not going back in until it is fixed.

It is great having that flexibility. I remember that happening a couple of times before and just wearing extra layers but having very cold head and hands, having to work through it. Meanwhile I'm at home pretty warm but if I do feel a bit chilly, I'm next to a radiator, one twist of the thermostat and on it comes.

FUME

As long as data protection and tax laws are followed and the job allows it I don't see a problem. The kids are off all July and August here we've thought of booking an Airbnb for a month with a pool on Croatia, cheaper than the summer camps for the kids here

Last edited:
They don’t have that data. That’s what I’m trying to figure out, but I reckon 180 days minimum.

Software development for data intergration, aggregation and visualisation.
The company will probably get more new customers if they start spelling integration correctly.

If they’ve had no new customers for 6 months they sound like they’re fucked without a miracle.
It’s not always about putting a shift in.

Great for task based roles but in my line of work, software, the people delivering tasks are also the best people for understanding what else can be done - these people are most creative as a face to face collaborative.

Mental
I work in software development and have worked remotely for years now, it works absolutely fine. We’re demonstrably more productive than when we worked in an office.

Last edited:
As long as data protection and tax laws are followed and the job allows it I don't see a problem. The kids are off all July and August here we've thought of booking an Airbnb for a month with a pool on Croatia, cheaper than the summer camps for the kids here

Maybe OK for a short period but it it becomes permanent then there are lots of potential issues for the employer and worker including taxation, benefits, Health and Safety laws, pensions, redundancy processes and compliance with the local laws where the person is working. We've had people move abroad permanently but they've had to sign a new contract and have usually had to take a pay cut in line with the local pay rates. Hardly fair to have someone working from a beach in Thailand while being paid UK rates and paying no local taxes.

Maybe OK for a short period but it it becomes permanent then there are lots of potential issues for the employer and worker including taxation, benefits, Health and Safety laws, pensions, redundancy processes and compliance with the local laws where the person is working. We've had people move abroad permanently but they've had to sign a new contract and have usually had to take a pay cut in line with the local pay rates. Hardly fair to have someone working from a beach in Thailand while being paid UK rates and paying no local taxes.
Yeah it's people going permanent that's the issue

it's a strange one as we had loads of contractors in both North America and India but we aren't allowed to work from an overseas location, even for a short period of time. Privacy/security concerns were the main reason but all of those contractors were also working from their homes.

we also have a lot of migrants from India (or many other south east asian countries) who often go back home for visits and I'd be absolutely fine if they worked while away, particularly as they often go for weeks or months at a time and we can't backfill their positions.

I'm very happy to keep working from home though. stunning day today and I'm sitting in our courtyard instead of in some shitty office and wasting time catching public transport each way.

Back