People that work from home

Yep I try to make my office days those when others are WFH. There are a few women nearby who just gossip and talk about telly, grandkids, weddings, Royal family etc etc etc much of the day. Find I'm increasingly looking at when they're WFH and going into the office then
It only takes one or two people in an office to drag it down. I was in a IT technical team in a previous job and we were given an admin woman, mainly because she had spent her way working round various teams pissing them all off until they got to the point they could not work with her and she was moved on.

All day it was either her telling us how rich she was (she was not), or moaning about every single aspect of her job. Her main job was to manage user accounts and you would think it was the most complicated thing ever. All day moaning about this loudly, moaning about that, everything was a nightmare, anger, swearing. It was hard to concentrate. She didn't work Fridays and it was a much better day in the office.

She decided to do a longer holiday one year of 3 or 4 weeks, so her account duties got put onto a new lad as we all ran a mile from getting involved. For two days he created user accounts, saying it only took him half an hour to do what she would do in a day. Then he said it was all bollocks anyway, wrote a perl script to do it automatically. She came back to find that after all the fuss she had spent years whinging about, had been automated with 100 lines of code that didn't cause a fuss and drag down productivity.
Things like this just summarise why it just needs to be a full move, where appropriate. It's wasted almost 3 hours of your time travelling there, could be similar getting back, crap desk/chair setup etc etc.. it's no good.
This one is a more difficult one. It is a presentation to 24 heads of departments, so quite senior people and coordinating all them are a nightmare. If the rule was everyone in, this would only really work if most departments are in on the same day, and since one building just got condemned we suddenly have space issues.

On the other hand, one of my team is in and I just took him for a coffee and a general chat, which is important when you manage people.

Last edited:

Interesting insight. I have no idea if Timpson's employees are happy but they do have a good reputation.
It's quite an easy formula. Look after your staff and they will look after you. Treat them like children and they will act like kids.

As long as data protection and tax laws are followed and the job allows it I don't see a problem. The kids are off all July and August here we've thought of booking an Airbnb for a month with a pool on Croatia, cheaper than the summer camps for the kids here
Given most large companies now have a pile of folk offshore in India and whatnot, then they already have the systems in place to safeguard data.

Our place it's mostly the tax implications for working in the EU, or if you go to the US the visa limitations on remote work
Sums them up. I might include it in future interviews I do.

If you have an import any meeting in the office and it’s raining heavily outside, what would you do?

A - Put on a big coat and make my way to work
B - Say I’ll just work from home today as I don’t value other people’s time
C - Just take the day off and say I’ll catch up the rest of the week as I’ve left my laptop at work and don’t want to get wet
Back in 2018 we had everyone sent home from the office due to weather, transport was a mess the next day.

Got back in later that week and the director was doing his nut about how some people hadn't been online - it was pointed out to him that his managers had decided that there was no point giving everyone a remote access token. I think there was one in my team of 6, they were used as pool tokens. His view was we could have phoned the person with the token to get the current key off it.
I pointed to the IT code of conduct and asked for what he said in writing.

All for the sake of a £100 one off charge every 3 years from BT who managed them. It's amazing we managed to get people working as well as we did when Lockdown hit in 2020. Totally transformed how we work as a company, in roles which can be remote.

Last edited:
The weather, I hate it when people cry off over a bit rain or cold. It’s not even raining either. Generally the sort whose skin wouldn’t graft.
Me too. Plan was a pub stop after. Better when the weather is kinder. Still, the graft has been done over Teams so no harm done.
I WFH and have to visit the office once a year for a departmental get together. It's great WFH.
Hopefully it's not raining that day mate or you'd have to wait until the following year.

Last edited:

Back