People fleeing London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeh I agree. I could afford to live there but not have the quality of life I would have here on the kind of money I could earn. If I was absolutely loaded and could have lived in Notthing Hill/Kensington and have my kids in top private schools perhaps I would have seen it differently. At the time London schools, particularly in the affordable areas were shite.

Yeh I agree. I could afford to live there but not have the quality of life I would have here on the kind of money I could earn. If I was absolutely loaded and could have lived in Notthing Hill/Kensington and have my kids in top private schools perhaps I would have seen it differently. At the time London schools, particularly in the affordable areas were shite.

Sunderland doesn't beat London then, it's just more affordable. It's quite key to the point you were making imo.

Sunderland doesn't beat London then, it's just more affordable. It's quite key to the point you were making imo.

It beats it in many ways but not others.......I like the space here, the housing stock is more affordable and better, you can drive round without being in constant traffic jams, the air is cleaner, the primary schools are/were better, kids are safer on the streets, the coast and countryside is on your doorstep and is fantastic.

Down side is that there are far less career opportunities, less entertainment, crap shopping (not that Im bothered about that), worse public transport.

On balance with a young family I think the North East is better for bringing up kids, once they are up and away I will spend far more time in London.

Can only say why I left but suspect it is probably untypical.......We went down in early 20s to work, spent a few years there, loved the vibrancy and career opportunities. Loved the social life and always stuff to do.

Then my Mrs fell pregnant and added £800 a month of nursery fees to our astronomical rent. We were living in the East End and would not have wanted my kids to school there. Realised that while living in shared house meant we had a shit load of £££ while in London, once you have a family and need your own place its crazy un affordable. Also like most young people who move to London all our family were up here so we had no support network for the nipper etc..

Also think that when you look at a place with the eyes of a parent rather than a single person your considerations of what is and is not important shifts massively. As a place to bring up a family then Sunderland beats London imho.
so more money you would have been able to get a decent size flat and pay for a nanny/childcare?

edit: just seen the above, proper sebbington

Last edited:
so more money you would have been able to get a decent size flat and pay for a nanny/childcare?

Which wouldnt have solved the issues that were real problem, shit schools, poor air quality, lack of safety on the streets......Its a final balance, I adore London, its a fantastic City and one I loved living in, just not one I would want to bring my family up in.

Which wouldnt have solved the issues that were real problem, shit schools, poor air quality, lack of safety on the streets......Its a final balance, I adore London, its a fantastic City and one I loved living in, just not one I would want to bring my family up in.
air quality agreed, money can't fix that. we as a society need to address it by getting cars off the road and unfortunately the entitlement of British culture means theres no chance. theres some superb schools here though. far better than up north.

It beats it in many ways but not others.......I like the space here, the housing stock is more affordable and better, you can drive round without being in constant traffic jams, the air is cleaner, the primary schools are/were better, kids are safer on the streets, the coast and countryside is on your doorstep and is fantastic.

Down side is that there are far less career opportunities, less entertainment, crap shopping (not that Im bothered about that), worse public transport.

On balance with a young family I think the North East is better for bringing up kids, once they are up and away I will spend far more time in London.

Again, more money would solve that.

ok so basically people want more for less and therefore will move away from London to satisfy their materialistic needs?

Correct, therefore Sunderland is better.

It's like saying I want a new coat and this posh one costs £700, which I think is too much for a coat, so I've seen a similar looking one for £70 and it's only a tenth of the price, therefore it's better.

It's like saying I want a new coat and this posh one costs £700, which I think is too much for a coat, so I've seen a similar looking one for £70 and it's only a tenth of the price, therefore it's better.
why do you think the usual suspects slate London on here? OMG a pint costs more than 2 quid, what a shithole :lol:

Tbf I want to move out like. Saty close enough but just slow down the pace of life. Plus your money goes a lot further just 5 miles further out

ok so basically people want more for less and therefore will move away from London to satisfy their materialistic needs?

When London sets the bar, I don't think people can be blamed for wanting to pay less for more tbh

If the coats are similar then why would you choose the 700 quid one? Pound for pound the 70 quid one sounds miles better value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back