People fleeing London

Your mam never bought you any of the clothing you were first to wear on wearside from any shop in London... I do like your brags though, but lets be fair being the first person to own an item of clothing or footware in Sunderland when it was purchased in Newcastle. is not that big a deal...

London's always had a transient population, I've lived there twice myself, first time for 6 year and the second for 18, never ever intended to stay there and always intended to come back home.

Last edited:
If I was under 30 though I’d be down here like a shot. The work opportunities are just fantastic, skilled and unskilled. The social side of things at that age speaks for itself, unmatched really...

My lads in his twenties now, he's having a ball plus doing well in his job , can't see coming him back to the north east, there's nothing for him here , much as I'd love it :(

My lads in his twenties now, he's having a ball plus doing well in his job , can't see coming him back to the north east, there's nothing for him here , much as I'd love it :(

Must be tough huh? I’m in my 40’s and my mother would still wish for me to be back in the NE. I probably would be back if it wasn’t for the kids, the two older ones are southerners and although they like Sunderland as you have said there is not a lot here....

I still hope to be back mind, once they have flown the nest who knows...

Not as bad as I thought. I could see why he'd do that. I used to commute from out in the sticks Aberdeenshire to the other side of Aberdeen and that would take me an hour for a distance of about 16 miles.

That’s one way, add in getting to and from york station at the beginning and end of the day plus getting from kings cross to workplace and back each day with a bit of extra time waiting for the trains. Could be looking at 6 or 7 hours per day.

I retired two years ago and moved out of London where I had lived and worked since 1971. With one short spell back in the North East I had 45 years of it. I moved because I had the means to and I no longer need secure employment. The "bright lights" were great when I was younger but I became increasing less interested in them. Most people do as the get older. I also like to be near the sea because I grew up near the sea (you might know the place) and I missed it.

I am very happy where I now live and I don't miss London at all. It's only 90 minutes away by rail so if I want go to a exhibition of museum or a footy match or see friends who are still there its not a problem. My two sons still live in London they can't imagine living anywhere else but they will in time.

I don't hate or dislike London or have been "driven out of it" - I just don't need it at this stage of my life

Your mam never bought you any of the clothing you were first to wear on wearside from any shop in London... I do like your brags though, but lets be fair being the first person to own an item of clothing or footware in Sunderland when it was purchased in Newcastle. is not that big a deal...

Scoring shots.

I lived in London for 20 years and got out when it became almost impossible to park in my street after 4pm, sometimes my missus would spend 15 minutes driving up and down the local streets waiting for someone to leave. That was in Battersea though. I sold my maisonette in Roehampton in 1999, it's now worth about 500,000. My missus sold her 1 bed flat in Battersea in 2000 and looking on Zoopla it was last sold in 2013 for £830,000 :eek:. Nee way I could afford to move back there even if I wanted to, which I don't.

I'll leave London eventually but its because I want more greenery and space etc. With more family comes greater responsibility and being a cab ride away after a night out in the west end is now less important. Not fleeing.

And yes semis with 4 beds do cost a mill or more but if you're swapping it for a flat that's going for 820k as your man above says its not that big a step.

Still people are fleeing. Probably from all the knives, acid and poverty. Must be shite living there.

Great for a few days away mind so roll on Wembo :cool:

Can only say why I left but suspect it is probably untypical.......We went down in early 20s to work, spent a few years there, loved the vibrancy and career opportunities. Loved the social life and always stuff to do.

Then my Mrs fell pregnant and added £800 a month of nursery fees to our astronomical rent. We were living in the East End and would not have wanted my kids to school there. Realised that while living in shared house meant we had a shit load of £££ while in London, once you have a family and need your own place its crazy un affordable. Also like most young people who move to London all our family were up here so we had no support network for the nipper etc..

Also think that when you look at a place with the eyes of a parent rather than a single person your considerations of what is and is not important shifts massively. As a place to bring up a family then Sunderland beats London imho.

Can only say why I left but suspect it is probably untypical.......We went down in early 20s to work, spent a few years there, loved the vibrancy and career opportunities. Loved the social life and always stuff to do.

Then my Mrs fell pregnant and added £800 a month of nursery fees to our astronomical rent. We were living in the East End and would not have wanted my kids to school there. Realised that while living in shared house meant we had a shit load of £££ while in London, once you have a family and need your own place its crazy un affordable. Also like most young people who move to London all our family were up here so we had no support network for the nipper etc..

Also think that when you look at a place with the eyes of a parent rather than a single person your considerations of what is and is not important shifts massively. As a place to bring up a family then Sunderland beats London if you can't afford London.

Tidied.

Back