People driving well below the speed limit

I had an ex-girlfriend who would never drive over 55-60mph on a motorway and wouldn't overtake ("what's the rush?"). Used to be terrifying to have her driving along sandwiched between 2 HGVs in lane 1.

I bet he beeps at people who don’t pull away from the lights like Lewis Hamilton.
Nah, I just swear at them under my breath
I had an ex-girlfriend who would never drive over 55-60mph on a motorway and wouldn't overtake ("what's the rush?"). Used to be terrifying to have her driving along sandwiched between 2 HGVs in lane 1.
Is this a euphemism?

I'm not talking a couple of mph but 15 in a 30 zone, 10 in a 20 zone etc. WTF? Roads were full of them today. Usually little old biddies hunched over the steering wheel staring at their bonnet. Creeping over a speed bump at 2 mph. Get off the roads man.

It's because they can't judge speed and distance.

Mostly it's a combination of low winter sun, and cataracts or other eye problems. If you lose the stereoscopy of vision you can't judge speed or distance anymore. Their distance sight might be really good, but they have no idea of where they are relative to other road users

People doing 50 or less on a motorway should be put up for public execution imo. Nowt worse the getting stuck behind hgvs taking forever to overtake them while they sit oblivious in the inside lane. Don't give a fuck if you are in no hurry, you have a duty to order road users to keep traffic flowing. If your not confident going any faster you shouldn't be on the road quite frankly
I call them lorry limpets. Stupid fuckers in daft little run arounds driving at about 55 mph stuck up the exhaust pipes of a HGV. I can't think of anything worse, you literally can't see the road ahead at all.

Even if they drove at 60 mph they wouldn't end up permanently being in and around huge lorries, it's incredibly dangerous.

It's because they can't judge speed and distance.

Mostly it's a combination of low winter sun, and cataracts or other eye problems. If you lose the stereoscopy of vision you can't judge speed or distance anymore. Their distance sight might be really good, but they have no idea of where they are relative to other road users
This then surely reinforces the argument of a yearly/2 yearly test. Get some of these old incapable drivers off the road and make room for the new dynamic 18 year olds in their Golfs etc, soon to be banned after less than a year. Then normal folk can get about their business once again?

I think there's a collective agreement here around driving standards in general. Started this thread for a bit of a laugh yesterday but there's a lot of different views and high feelings, it's been great to read back through it tonight. How can it be fixed?

Oh, and for the record I'm helping Jimmy sell his car online for cash, declined the offer of the freebie!

Last edited:
I must admit if someone is annoyed behind me I slow down and do everything I can to break them.
I think there's a collective agreement here around driving standards in general. Started this thread for a bit of a laugh yesterday but there's a lot of different views and high feelings, it's been great to read back through it tonight. How can it be fixed?
Stop thinking you have a Devine right to drive the way you want.

This then surely reinforces the argument of a yearly/2 yearly test. Get some of these old incapable drivers off the road and make room for the new dynamic 18 year olds in their Golfs etc, soon to be banned after less than a year. Then normal folk can get about their business once again?

I don't know any 18 year olds who could afford the insurance on a Golf, and lots of them are crap drivers

But there is a real problem with a small group of older drivers, whose driving, health and eyesight are well below the safe standard, and yet are allowed to drive. Once you become aware of the problem, it's hard to miss it, because their driving style is very distinctive. The good news is that the winter low sun months are over and they won't be as much of a menance

There will be a huge backlash at any attempts to tackle poor driving among OAPs because lots of them are lonely and terminally bored, and tootling around in their cars is how they spend their days

I like your answer. What does the first part solve?
It makes them realise that know matter how much they huff and puff they can’t change the way other people drive. People who drive slow don’t crash as often than people who speed or get wound up. You can only change your own driving habits.

It makes them realise that know matter how much they huff and puff they can’t change the way other people drive. People who drive slow don’t crash as often than people who speed or get wound up. You can only change your own driving habits.
I'll admit that it does wind me up if it's excessively slow. As I don't drive aggressively I tend to just back off but I will be calling you worse than shite under my breath :)
I don't know any 18 year olds who could afford the insurance on a Golf, and lots of them are crap drivers

But there is a real problem with a small group of older drivers, whose driving, health and eyesight are well below the safe standard, and yet are allowed to drive. Once you become aware of the problem, it's hard to miss it, because their driving style is very distinctive. The good news is that the winter low sun months are over and they won't be as much of a menance

There will be a huge backlash at any attempts to tackle poor driving among OAPs because lots of them are lonely and terminally bored, and tootling around in their cars is how they spend their days
Stupid 18/19 year old in a GTD almost took me out today. Used to have one, those are powerful beasts.

Last edited:
I'll admit that it does wind me up if it's excessively slow. As I don't drive aggressively I tend to just back off but I will be calling you worse than shite under my breath :)
I do normally just drive at the speed limit but especially in a 20 zone. I often end up with a convoy behind me through hollycarside all the way to ryhope.

I do normally just drive at the speed limit but especially in a 20 zone. I often end up with a convoy behind me through hollycarside all the way to ryhope.
No issue with driving at or close to the limit mate, none at all! It's the excessively slow pace that winds me. And yeah, everyone is up your arse on that road if you're not doing 40. Fuck them.
hat

I think assisted death is on the political horizon, so that might be a game-changer?

Last edited:
I get MUCH more annoyed/infuriated/pissed off with the trilby hatted, leather and knitted glove twats who decide 55mph is a nice speed to sit in the middle lane of the A1, and indeed any motorway….. and ignore me flashing my lights at them. Just pootling along, oblivious to the world around them … BASTARDS!!😡😡
Just the worst of the worst. Middle lane plodders. Straight off the slip road, no traffic anywhere…….straight onto the middle…. For 6 miles until he turns off. Stopped car sharing cos a lad wound me up so much doing it.

The absolute worst thing is the helmets who pull into the third lane on a four lane section of motorway and sit there at about 65. Massive queue of frustrated drivers behind them, some of whom eventually take a chance and undertake

My uncle was driving until he turned 90 despite having a string of collisions (always someone else's fault he claimed). I told my mam to pay for a taxi (she doesn't drive) rather than get in a car with him as he was a liability to himself and everyone around him. Eventually he had one incident too many, the police got involved and his licence was revoked.

OOOOH!! People who stop to let people out. When there is only one car behind them for about half a mile. Great shout.

I'll add to the mix: Mexican Standoffs at a roundabout. Everyone just sits and looks at each other. How do you react?
I drive round it as fast as I can for 10 minutes in an effort to stop anyone getting out.
The absolute worst thing is the helmets who pull into the third lane on a four lane section of motorway and sit there at about 65. Massive queue of frustrated drivers behind them, some of whom eventually take a chance and undertake
Agreed. I'd have guns positioned on footbridges, and overhead signs wiping these perverts out.

Last edited:

Back