PDC World Darts Championship 2014

Who will win the 2014 PDC World Darts Championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not a BDO wanker or a PDC tosser. Im darts fan rather than a fan of large companies making megga-bucks like $ky & Herne.

Hearn & Sky nearly killed snooker all together then just duped it when it no longer brought in new subscribers. Careful what you wish for. Think on!
That's just not the case. Both were dying on their arse for various reasons including loss of tobacco sponsorship. Hearn has done a huge amount to revitalise snooker and the PDC has been good for darts. I am no fan of Sky thoughh

That's just not the case. Both were dying on their arse for various reasons including loss of tobacco sponsorship. Hearn has done a huge amount to revitalise snooker and the PDC has been good for darts. I am no fan of Sky thoughh
Okay, so what happens when darts no longer pulls in subscribers to sky? They will dump it. I'ts already in decline as far as new subs - has been for the last two years. Its simple maths People my age know how good darts can be, Younger people have grown up with either darts on free telly which they are constantly told is inferior or the lucky few that have sky (still a minority of viewers). Sky will have a cut off limit. It's simple maths Subs Vs Costs. Plus they now have a new toy to tempt in subscribers in Formula One.

The above doesnt even include the darting aspects such as the lack of new players as each generation misses watching the sport so never gets a urge to take it up. The lack of grass root support from the PDC, who are only interested in making as much money as possible as fast as possible. It all adds up to a sorry end for the great game of darts I'm afraid.

Okay, so what happens when darts no longer pulls in subscribers to sky? They will dump it. I'ts already in decline as far as new subs - has been for the last two years. Its simple maths People my age know how good darts can be, Younger people have grown up with either darts on free telly which they are constantly told is inferior or the lucky few that have sky (still a minority of viewers). Sky will have a cut off limit. It's simple maths Subs Vs Costs. Plus they now have a new toy to tempt in subscribers in Formula One.

The above doesnt even include the darting aspects such as the lack of new players as each generation misses watching the sport so never gets a urge to take it up. The lack of grass root support from the PDC, who are only interested in making as much money as possible as fast as possible. It all adds up to a sorry end for the great game of darts I'm afraid.

The PDC World Championship has been broadcast live and in its entirety by Sky Sports in the UK since its inception. Since 2009 the tournament has been shot in High Definition (HD). The tournament has become more and more popular in recent years with the 2007 World Final achieving a viewing figure in excess of 1 million for the first time. Sky's contract to cover the event has been extended until 2013, which will be the 20th year of the tournament

1,270,000 watched the final last year on Sky - their most viewers ever. More televised tournaments than ever, bigger prize funds, more people talking about it. I'm struggling to see your argument marra

In reply to makum102. Darts doesn't bring in sky subscribers, football does. Darts and other sports are side beneficiaries of the need to fill the schedules.

Schedule of Play

First Round

Friday December 13 (7pm)
John Part v Mareno Michels
Rob Szabo v Ian Moss (P)
Peter Wright v Joe Cullen
Phil Taylor v Szabo/Moss
Richie Burnett v Dean Winstanley

Saturday December 14
Afternoon Session (12pm)
Mark Walsh v Jarkko Komula
Colin McGarry v Per Laursen (P)
Wayne Jones v Kevin McDine
Terry Jenkins v McGarry/Laursen
Ian White v Kyle Anderson

Evening Session (7pm)
Robert Thornton v Max Hopp
Julio Barbero v Andree Welge (P)
Gary Anderson v Mark Dudbridge
Andy Hamilton v Barbero/Welge
Paul Nicholson v Stuart Kellett

Sunday December 15 (7pm)
Dave Chisnall v John Henderson
Dennis Lindskjold v Edward Santos (P)
Raymond van Barneveld v Jamie Lewis
Brendan Dolan v Lindskjold/Santos
Jamie Caven v Jelle Klaasen

Monday December 16 (7pm)
Ronnie Baxter v Ricky Evans
Devon Petersen v Mohammed Latif Sapup (P)
Kim Huybrechts v Ronny Huybrechts
Steve Beaton v Petersen/Sapup
Mervyn King v Darin Young

Tuesday December 17 (7pm)
Colin Lloyd v Beau Anderson
Zoran Lerchbacher v Ben Ward (P)
Vincent van der Voort v Matt Clark
Michael van Gerwen v Lerchbacher/Ward
Simon Whitlock v Ross Smith

Wednesday December 18 (7pm)
Andy Smith v Steve Brown
Morihiro Hashimoto v Paul Lim (P)
Justin Pipe v Arron Monk
Michael Smith v Hashimoto/Lim
Adrian Lewis v Dennis Smith

Thursday December 19 (7pm)
Mark Webster v Mensur Suljovic
Gino Vos v Royden Lam (P)
James Wade v Darren Webster
Wes Newton v Vos/Lam
Kevin Painter v Tomas Seyler

Full first round schedule of play

Starts on Friday evening mate (7pm) - that's your schedule:

John Part v Mareno Michels
Rob Szabo v Ian Moss (P)
Peter Wright v Joe Cullen
Phil Taylor v Szabo/Moss
Richie Burnett v Dean Winstanley

Never heard of Mareno Michels. Burnett vs Winstanley looks decent. Cullen can hoy darts anarl

Well I was enjoying reading this thread, looking forward to this, then all the whinging twats rocked up. Can they not just fuck off to their own thread to bang on about the trebles being the size of bin lids and all that shite?

Anyhoo. Taylor has won more or less everything major this year (Bar the Premier League), but won next to nowt last year and still won this. If MvG can get on a roll like he can, and sustain it for 2 weeks he's good enough to win it. Same with Lewis, except he's proven twice before he CAN sustain it for 2 weeks, and prefers the longer format. I'd love to see Barney get close this year after a much improved 2012, but we all know as soon as he comes up against Taylor he will be sitting in the corner hugging his knees.

As for the first round, the Huybrechts derby has to be the pick. Weird how they've come up against each other twice in a month now. Kim blew Ronny away in the Player's Championship Finals a few weeks ago, but Ronny is a better player than he looked in that game (beat Lewis recently)

Well I was enjoying reading this thread, looking forward to this, then all the whinging twats rocked up. Can they not just fuck off to their own thread to bang on about the trebles being the size of bin lids and all that shite?

Anyhoo. Taylor has won more or less everything major this year (Bar the Premier League), but won next to nowt last year and still won this. If MvG can get on a roll like he can, and sustain it for 2 weeks he's good enough to win it. Same with Lewis, except he's proven twice before he CAN sustain it for 2 weeks, and prefers the longer format. I'd love to see Barney get close this year after a much improved 2012, but we all know as soon as he comes up against Taylor he will be sitting in the corner hugging his knees.

As for the first round, the Huybrechts derby has to be the pick. Weird how they've come up against each other twice in a month now. Kim blew Ronny away in the Player's Championship Finals a few weeks ago, but Ronny is a better player than he looked in that game (beat Lewis recently)
Good post. It's a shame Whitlock's form has gone to shit recently. Any surprise runs this year you reckon?

The PDC World Championship has been broadcast live and in its entirety by Sky Sports in the UK since its inception. Since 2009 the tournament has been shot in High Definition (HD). The tournament has become more and more popular in recent years with the 2007 World Final achieving a viewing figure in excess of 1 million for the first time. Sky's contract to cover the event has been extended until 2013, which will be the 20th year of the tournament

1,270,000 watched the final last year on Sky - their most viewers ever. More televised tournaments than ever, bigger prize funds, more people talking about it. I'm struggling to see your argument marra
Errrr, okay, I am aware of the history marra.
PDC In excess of 1 million - only twice has it achieved this in 2007 & 2013. The BDO gets three times that much despite its 'inferiority'. This is the whole problem with darts being on a subscription channel. Its not viewed by the masses. which it needs if it is to thrive. (do you get it yet?). Figures would be way higher if it were one darts body on free telly.
2007 was 5 years ago man! $kys PDC circus slumped back to 700,000 over recent years before climbing again for the first time in 2013.
BBC take BDO darts. Here's the news... They also broadcast in HD ;)

Im struggling to see your counter argument marra.

Errrr, okay, I am aware of the history marra.
PDC In excess of 1 million - only twice has it achieved this in 2007 & 2013. The BDO gets three times that much despite its 'inferiority'. This is the whole problem with darts being on a subscription channel. Its not viewed by the masses. which it needs if it is to thrive. (do you get it yet?). Figures would be way higher if it were one darts body on free telly.
2007 was 5 years ago man! $kys PDC circus slumped back to 700,000 over recent years before climbing again for the first time in 2013.
BBC take BDO darts. Here's the news... They also broadcast in HD ;)

Im struggling to see your counter argument marra.
I think the point he was trying to make was that last year it pulled in the most viewers it has ever has so can't see them dumping it soon. Plus Matchroom Sport with their boxing, darts, snooker, pool etc is a major part of Sky's output so I can't see it being 'dropped' any time soon.

To be honest, I much prefer the likes of football and boxing to darts. I would get slightly bored of just seeing a couple of overweight, middle aged blokes hoying a bit of steel into a board repeatedly, but it's the whole production and packaging that I really like. The crowd can get a bit annoying but it is often a good atmosphere, and it just feels far more like an event now. I really like the 'transformation'. I can see why a few traditionalists don't, but it is going from strength to strength and its popularity (whether for the right or wrong reasons) is continuing to grow - more tournaments, still selling out arenas in the Premier League etc.

Good post. It's a shame Whitlock's form has gone to shit recently. Any surprise runs this year you reckon?

It wouldn't be that big a surprise (although he went out early last year IIRC), but Kim Huybrechets has a great chance of getting to the semis. And it's becoming a real darting cliché, but if Gary Anderson can hit his doubles he can match anyone, even though he's slipped down the rankings recently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back