Paul Collingwood on Loyalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since nobody knows his salary its difficult to say whether he is a top earner in county circuit or not but i would imagine the big payers like Surrey, Yorkshire and Hampshire would have easily paid him more than Durham. I suspect his loyalty is two-fold. he doesnt want to permanently leave the north east and he feels indebted to Durham for giving him his chance because he may not have got that just being a young lad from Shotley without Durham
Can we remember when he finished with England and the only county interested in him, from memory, was Derbyshire? No one else came in for him, as I remember it. He therefore had a choice, stay with Durham or go to Derbyshire. How serious Derbyshire's interest was in him I dont know. As far as I'm aware the likes of Surrey has ever been interested in signing Collingwood.

Collingwood is now over 40 years of age and he is trying to prolong his career as long as he can. That seems admirable to me. It clearly helps when you are being well paid to do so.

But my main point here is to say that, and as I said before - "its fair to just ask Colly to stand back and ask what he would have done in say Rocky, Borthwick, Coughlin or Jennings position". I think thats a very fair point to make.

Last edited:

Can we remember when he finished with England and the only county interested in him, from memory, was Derbyshire? No one else came in for him, as I remember it. He therefore had a choice, stay with Durham or go to Derbyshire. How serious Derbyshire's interest was in him I dont know. As far as I'm aware the likes of Surrey has ever been interested in signing Collingwood.

Collingwood is now over 40 years of age and he is trying to prolong his career as long as he can. That seems admirable to me. It clearly helps when you are being well paid to do so.

But my main point here is to say that, and as I said before - "its fair to just ask Colly to stand back and ask what he would have done in say Rocky, Borthwick, Coughlin or Jennings position". I think thats a very fair point to make.
I reckon he would still be here

I reckon he would still be here
We will never know.

Another thing that struck me about this statement is relating to the Durham Cricket Board/Academy. As we know the DCB is one of the highest rated cricket boards in the country and their academy system got a score of 100 IIRC either last year or the year before. One of the factors in Durham's quite disgraceful treatment by both the FTECB and their peer counties was the jealousy that seemed to ooze out of every pore regarding our academy products and the conveyor belt of talent that it has produced.

I just wonder if Colly's statement is aimed at the likes of Potts who may be tempted away from Durham as the county is in a very vulnerable position re wages.

Jon Windows cannot keep on pulling rabbits out of the hat every year and ultimately the well will run dry or if it doesnt run dry lads are going to have to be thrown in at the deep end before, perhaps, they are ready.

We will never know.
So surely that means your previous posts are all supposition as well then :rolleyes:

Another thing that struck me about this statement is relating to the Durham Cricket Board/Academy. As we know the DCB is one of the highest rated cricket boards in the country and their academy system got a score of 100 IIRC either last year or the year before. One of the factors in Durham's quite disgraceful treatment by both the FTECB and their peer counties was the jealousy that seemed to ooze out of every pore regarding our academy products and the conveyor belt of talent that it has produced.

I just wonder if Colly's statement is aimed at the likes of Potts who may be tempted away from Durham as the county is in a very vulnerable position re wages.

Jon Windows cannot keep on pulling rabbits out of the hat every year and ultimately the well will run dry or if it doesnt run dry lads are going to have to be thrown in at the deep end before, perhaps, they are ready.
Windows seems to still be pulling rabbits from hats and we are 20 years down the line. Nothign to suggest this will stop given the strength of club cricket in the region (without starting a NEPL v everyone else debate)

So surely that means your previous posts are all supposition as well then :rolleyes:

Windows seems to still be pulling rabbits from hats and we are 20 years down the line. Nothign to suggest this will stop given the strength of club cricket in the region (without starting a NEPL v everyone else debate)
Of course its all supposition. How can it be fact? We have no inside track on what prompted the statement from Collingwood and we are guessing.

Jon windows has been pulling rabbits out of the hat for years, I'd agree with you. However the degree he is now having to do it may be on a much larger scale than previous. I cant remember an exodus of home grown talent from DCCC like this before on a such a scale ie 4 x home grown lads leaving in the last 2 years.

As an example the DCB may have been trying to bring 1 a year through. If that now has to be 2 or 3 per year - every year - as the talent haemorrheges, then clearly something suffers eg quality, unless of course we have an exceptional period where 2 or 3 appear each year, on merit, for the next 2 or 3 years.

Of course its all supposition. How can it be fact? We have no inside track on what prompted the statement from Collingwood and we are guessing.

Jon windows has been pulling rabbits out of the hat for years, I'd agree with you. However the degree he is now having to do it may be on a much larger scale than previous. I cant remember an exodus of home grown talent from DCCC like this before on a such a scale ie 4 x home grown lads leaving in the last 2 years.

As an example the DCB may have been trying to bring 1 a year through. If that now has to be 2 or 3 per year - every year - as the talent haemorrheges, then clearly something suffers eg quality, unless of course we have an exceptional period where 2 or 3 appear each year, on merit, for the next 2 or 3 years.
Since 2010 this is the list of academy/local players who have come through the first team (in alphabetical order)
Ryan Buckley
Jack Burnham
Brydon Carse
Peter Chase
Graham Clark
Coughlin x 2
ben Harmison
Jamie Harrison
Adam Hickey
Keaton Jennings
Barry McCarthy
Callum McLeod
Gavin Main
Matty Potts
Stuart Poynter
Ryan Pringle
Ben Raine
Michael Richardson
Gurjiut Sandhu
Cameron Steel
Liam Trevaskis
Usman Arshad
James Weighell
Mark Wood

Thats not including the likes of Stoneman, Rushworth, Onions, Stokes, Plunkett, Mustard, Killeen, Harmison, Collingwood, Borthwick who were already established

there is definitely a well resourced pool of players coming through who are suitably equipped for cricket so i dont see the academy being a problem in the future. Success is a good marker for attracting future potential. Durham is the top performing academy and this will attrract talent from a larger geographical area than before

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back