Paul Collingwood on Loyalty

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon

Striker
Credit to @WCC for sharing the article in the Durham Pre-Season thread, I just felt it deserved its own thread.

From Wisden: Paul Collingwood: 'Talent drain is devastating' | Wisden Cricket

Paul Collingwood says he is disappointed so many established players have left Durham rather than helping the club return to the top tier of the County Championship.

Ahead of his 23rd season at Durham, club captain Paul Collingwood has spoken of his frustration at witnessing so many players leave the county, claiming that loyalty is a rare commodity in the modern game.

Only six of the 18 players who appeared in Durham’s Championship triumph in 2013 remain at Chester-le-Street, with several homegrown stars opting to leave following the county’s demotion to Division Two ahead of the last campaign.

The talent drain started with Scott Borthwick and Mark Stoneman leaving for Surrey in the winter of 2016 and continued at the end of last summer with 50-over captain Keaton Jennings and veteran seamer Graham Onions heading to Lancashire, while T20 skipper and England Lions all-rounder Paul Coughlin, 25, has moved to Nottinghamshire.

“I’m absolutely devastated,” Collingwood tells John Stern in the March issue of Wisden Cricket Monthly. “I get really upset by it. This is my 23rd season at Durham and I’ve never found an obvious reason to leave the place.

“In my eyes you get as equal an opportunity here as any other county to play for England. I can half-understand batsmen saying wickets aren’t as good as you might get at The Oval but a bowler like Coughlin wanting to leave Durham is something I can’t get my head around.

“I’d like to have seen players say they wanted to help get the club out of the second division. But all the T20 leagues around the world mean people are more used to going into different changing rooms now. Loyalty is not a word that can be used much these days. You’ve just got to get on with it.”

"A bowler like Coughlin wanting to leave Durham is something I can’t get my head around"

Having been penalised with relegation and a 48-point penalty in the Championship last season – as well as a four-point deduction in the T20 Blast and a two-point penalty in the One-Day Cup – in return for a £3.8m bail-out from the ECB, Durham will at least start the 2018 campaign on a level playing-field. But Collingwood concedes that the club now have to build for the future rather than expecting an instant return to county cricket’s top table.

“You never go into the season without the ambition to win trophies,” says the 41-year-old, “but we have to be realistic. We have lost five experienced players over the last two years – guys we have built up to playing international cricket. That probably took four years so we’re going to have to wait until the next generation come through now.

“We have some good youngsters who have shown potential but with young guys you don’t get the consistency. You never know with Durham – if we can build that spirit early on and get things moving then anything can happen. But realistically we’re building a team for four or five years down the line.”

That means relying on the conveyor belt of talent that has produced numerous England cricketers in recent times to keep coming up with the goods, and Collingwood identified Matty Potts, a 19-year-old paceman, as a player worth keeping an eye on.

“He impressed straightaway,” said Collingwood of Potts, who took 14 Championship wickets in five matches last season. “He looks the real deal and is very exciting.”

Durham begin their Championship season with a home fixture against Kent on April 20.

They are not going to stay out of loyalty especially when you are 25. Durham in the second division, not paying the wages and you get an offer that increases your pay by 50% or doubles?

Maybe Durham CCC needs to ask the question of why they are leaving and do something about it rather than pulling on the heart strings.

If Harker hadnt got us into this financial mess in the first place then perhaps we wouldnt be where we are now.

I'm not sure I agree, there's plenty of incentives for staying at Durham. Above all of them - opportunity. Something I'm sure Borthwick is asking himself after his first year at Surrey.

Stoneman is the exception to the rule, because he has flourished, but I'd argue his England call was more to do with his new 'friends' than his talent or performances, because he had those at Durham.

Money is always a big factor, I get that, but if the group had stayed together, I honestly think they'd have been back in Division One by 2019 and three years isn't a lifetime for lads who in the main are the right side of 26 - Jennings and Coughlin, I'm looking at you.

Love Colly me like :cool:

Hands down my favourite cricketer of all time.

I'm not sure I agree, there's plenty of incentives for staying at Durham. Above all of them - opportunity. Something I'm sure Borthwick is asking himself after his first year at Surrey.

Stoneman is the exception to the rule, because he has flourished, but I'd argue his England call was more to do with his new 'friends' than his talent or performances, because he had those at Durham.

Money is always a big factor, I get that, but if the group had stayed together, I honestly think they'd have been back in Division One by 2019 and three years isn't a lifetime for lads who in the main are the right side of 26 - Jennings and Coughlin, I'm looking at you.

Hands down my favourite cricketer of all time.
It is down to Durham CCC, if they are that upset at players leaving, to ask the question of why that is and what they can do about it. No use whinging about it - get to the heart of the issue. Did they even ask Coughlin why he left and if not - why not. If they did ask him and he told them - why was that and what are Durham going to do about it.

coughlin was tapped by Mike Newell with the suggestion he would get more chance to play for England, as the stars of notts are on TV a lot, compared to Durham

I can see the appeal of Surrey and money but again Jennings to lancs is another example of more TV appearances enhancing his chances of again playing for England.

We see it in football, a player gets an England call up and within a year they are off to pastures new, with the supposedly more high profile teams.

This will only increase from 2020 onwards with the FTECB franchises. That will be tapping up heaven for the counties with teams involved

coughlin was tapped by Mike Newell with the suggestion he would get more chance to play for England, as the stars of notts are on TV a lot, compared to Durham

I can see the appeal of Surrey and money but again Jennings to lancs is another example of more TV appearances enhancing his chances of again playing for England.

We see it in football, a player gets an England call up and within a year they are off to pastures new, with the supposedly more high profile teams.

This will only increase from 2020 onwards with the FTECB franchises. That will be tapping up heaven for the counties with teams involved
Absolutely. Reality bites.

It is down to Durham CCC, if they are that upset at players leaving, to ask the question of why that is and what they can do about it. No use whinging about it - get to the heart of the issue. Did they even ask Coughlin why he left and if not - why not. If they did ask him and he told them - why was that and what are Durham going to do about it.
It's Jennings departure that worries me. He's an intelligent lad who would have thought things through- not worried about past it Onions and injury prone Coughlin. We've got an absent chairman, a CEO who's more interested in his wine business, a captain who spends half the year with England and a chief coach who appears to me to be completely uninspiring. Not difficult to see how disillusionment sets in

It's Jennings departure that worries me. He's an intelligent lad who would have thought things through- not worried about past it Onions and injury prone Coughlin. We've got an absent chairman, a CEO who's more interested in his wine business, a captain who spends half the year with England and a chief coach who appears to me to be completely uninspiring. Not difficult to see how disillusionment sets in
Yes, there doesnt seem to be a lot of loyalty or natural born leaders in amongst that lot as you imply.

I can understand reasons why any individual would want to move onto pastures new. It's just a shame there were so many.

But not Colly is poring cold water on their chances this season and tbh I prefer that rather than false bravado.

I suspect the real answer to that question is/was "Because Mick Newell has guaranteed me an England Lions call up".

Agree with most of that, but in fairness to the coach, it must be noted the on field performances under his stewardship have been more than acceptable: a County Championship crown, One Day Trophy, T20 Final - consistently overachieving despite crippling finances and all kinds of other off field issues. Many counties with four times the budget and resources have won fuckall in that time

Last edited:
I know that the players probably all had slightly differing reasons for leaving, but it is easy for Colly to say this. For a large chunk of that career he was with England, and had no reason to leave whatsoever, whilst being rewarded handsomely from a financial perspective. Also lets not forget the time he went and had discussions with Derby about moving down there, following his international retirement. Granted he never went, but surely by his logic he should have dismissed their advances instantly and worried about getting back to Durham.

Spot on! Only missed one thing out, and no return home to cosy Durham if it does not work out for any of them. The players have moved on and so should the county. It will be worth it in the long run with future talented players who may think about leaving.

I'd still take Borthwick back like, tail between his legs admitting his mistake ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back