Pathetic and embarrassing chanting

this clearly is not an SAFC issue alone, nor is it a football issue, but when football fans indulge it and lionise it then that becomes a stupid sticking point ffs, boils my piss

Agreed. It's a reflection of UK culture in 2021.
It doesn’t, but it highlights it’s not just us

Which doesn't make it right. If 12 people stab a man to death, none of them can use "Well, those 11 did it as well" as a defence.

Last edited:

It doesn’t, but it highlights it’s not just us
Nobody’s said it was just us. It was highlighted early in the thread that it was ‘stolen’ from Newcastle fans, who sang it about Ronaldo. I suspect others will do it, too, but that doesn’t make it right.
I’m pretty sure there’d be folk getting uptight if everywhere we went, opposition fans sang about a former player of ours being a sex offender - you know, someone who’s actually been convicted of it.
Last night, I just thought with our history by association, it was an embarrassing thing to get involved with

Completely agree. The IRA stuff needs to finish like. The same people that sing that will be the ones booing the knee saying 'Politics have nothing to do with football' but the constitutional status of Northern Ireland does? Complete head scratcher.

As for the Charlie Wyke song - we're the last football club to be singing about sex offenders. It's a Mag tune anyway.

Fully expected someone to be along to say 'It's just banter' aye well very very shite banter,

First match I've been able to get to since March 2019. Absolutely loved it. I can't remember the last time I saw us win in person, and win so convincingly.

However, a contingent of our traveling fans were nothing short of embarrassing with their choice of chants.
The occasional "Fuck the IRA" chant was utterly ridiculous considering
1) James McClean wasn't even playing he wasn't even on the bench
2) 1996 was the last action of the IRA in this country. most of the idiots chanting this probably weren't even born then, and if they were they should know better.
3) Get the fuck over it. He hasn't played for us for years

The even more ludicrous chant was
"Sunderland boys were on a bender. Charlie Wyke is a sex offender".
Let's break that down shall we?
Sunderland boys on a bender sounds more like a homoerotic gangbang rather than a night on the booze, but of course not many things conveniently rhyme with sex offender and I doubt the inventor of the chant could manage to rhyme nonce.
Charlie Wyke is a sex offender - Wow. I mean, really? The bloke scored an absolute hat-full last season (shame he only managed 9 in the previous 2 seasons). An opportunity came up for him to sign a 3 year deal and he took it.
He followed the money. Like many of us would. You get next to nowt for loyalty these days. We need to stop being so f***ing precious about things.
Wyke didn't even play last night so what was the point?

We had an actual sex offender playing for Sunderland. A real one. A paedophile. Why do some of our lot think it's fine to throw that kind of slur around at anyone else? Particularly players who didn't leave on bad terms, they just left.

A great game with some excellent football from us, tainted by some of our lot who are frankly making themselves look as thick as a submarine door. I'd like to think that's not the case. We're better than this. Aren't we?
I won't even bother mentioning the morons who boo'd the taking the knee (for all of 3 seconds of it). I suspect if there's a venn diagram of the people who did that and the idiotic chants it would be a perfect circle.
So... did Alan Shearer have aids or not?

Who me? :lol:
I’m the one attacking anti-Irish stereotypes earlier in the thread. Didn’t see you helping then.
It isn't a stereotype per se so much as outrageous racism and ignorance... but in that post I was just picking you up as you had another poster on their use of English for kicks man 🤷‍♀️

First match I've been able to get to since March 2019. Absolutely loved it. I can't remember the last time I saw us win in person, and win so convincingly.

However, a contingent of our traveling fans were nothing short of embarrassing with their choice of chants.
The occasional "Fuck the IRA" chant was utterly ridiculous considering
1) James McClean wasn't even playing he wasn't even on the bench
2) 1996 was the last action of the IRA in this country. most of the idiots chanting this probably weren't even born then, and if they were they should know better.
3) Get the fuck over it. He hasn't played for us for years

The even more ludicrous chant was
"Sunderland boys were on a bender. Charlie Wyke is a sex offender".
Let's break that down shall we?
Sunderland boys on a bender sounds more like a homoerotic gangbang rather than a night on the booze, but of course not many things conveniently rhyme with sex offender and I doubt the inventor of the chant could manage to rhyme nonce.
Charlie Wyke is a sex offender - Wow. I mean, really? The bloke scored an absolute hat-full last season (shame he only managed 9 in the previous 2 seasons). An opportunity came up for him to sign a 3 year deal and he took it.
He followed the money. Like many of us would. You get next to nowt for loyalty these days. We need to stop being so f***ing precious about things.
Wyke didn't even play last night so what was the point?

We had an actual sex offender playing for Sunderland. A real one. A paedophile. Why do some of our lot think it's fine to throw that kind of slur around at anyone else? Particularly players who didn't leave on bad terms, they just left.

A great game with some excellent football from us, tainted by some of our lot who are frankly making themselves look as thick as a submarine door. I'd like to think that's not the case. We're better than this. Aren't we?
I won't even bother mentioning the morons who boo'd the taking the knee (for all of 3 seconds of it). I suspect if there's a venn diagram of the people who did that and the idiotic chants it would be a perfect circle.
Between you and me Sunderland aren't really the greatest team the world has ever seen. EDIT - Just seen someone beat me to it!

It isn't a stereotype per se so much as outrageous racism and ignorance... but in that post I was just picking you up as you had another poster on their use of English for kicks man 🤷‍♀️
No. There’s back story there.
He was having a go at me the other day because I was a softy who doesn’t like the disagree button. (And his English was fine then)
So I was having a bit of fun because he was correcting someone else’s grammar whilst making no sense himself. I even had a smiley on to show i was just having a tease.
Since then I have no idea what his other posts meant at all and you’ve called me a dick. Great stuff 👍

As one of the Wigan fans on twitter rightly pointed out, how long did we employ Adam Johnson for?

Cringeworthy in the extreme, people singing that sort of bollocks need hitting with a sock full of diarrhea.

we literally played him 3 days before his trial where he plead guilty at

I mean looking back, Jesus wept

No. There’s back story there.
He was having a go at me the other day because I was a softy who doesn’t like the disagree button. (And his English was fine then)
So I was having a bit of fun because he was correcting someone else’s grammar whilst making no sense himself. I even had a smiley on to show i was just having a tease.
Since then I have no idea what his other posts meant at all and you’ve called me a dick. Great stuff 👍
I was just joining in la, didn't realise it was a game of touchy tails, I'll back away gracefully like :lol:

The law needs to be adjusted to properly title his actions.

The crime he was convicted of was "sexual activity with a child" not "paedophilia".

"Earlier, Dr Philip Hopley, a consultant psychiatrist giving evidence for the defence, told the court: "This is a man who, at the age of 28, is socially and psychologically immature."
The doctor said he found no evidence in Johnson of an attraction to pre-pubescent children or "sexual perversion"."
Adam Johnson jailed for six years

Not a paedophile.

Back