Passport renewal

Slightly different subject matter, but has anyone had to renew their driving licence since the first lockdown and if so how long did the new one take to arrive (if you did it online)?

Mine ran out last week but this applies...

If your licence expires between 1 February and 31 December 2020
Your driving licence or entitlement to drive in the UK will be automatically extended for 11 months. This is because of coronavirus (COVID-19).

The extension will start from the date your licence is due to expire.

Got mine two weeks ago. Definitely blue, albeit very dark blue. Shine your phone torch on a plain area from about an inch away and it shows more clearly.

Last edited:
Mine ran out last week but this applies...

If your licence expires between 1 February and 31 December 2020
Your driving licence or entitlement to drive in the UK will be automatically extended for 11 months. This is because of coronavirus (COVID-19).

The extension will start from the date your licence is due to expire.

Yeah I seen that. Mine runs out end of February which is slightly annoying, although £14 isn't going to break the bank I guess.

Just reading about someone who got turned away from the airport going out to Ibiza because they didn’t have 6 months left from 10 years after the issue date.

Apparently the EU consider a passport validity for third countries to be 10 years from the issue date rather than 10 years from the expiry date. Might be worth checking for anyone planning to go away this summer.

There also seems to be confusion whether the validity period is 3 months or 6 months. The uk.gov website says 6 months but EU regs apparently say 3 months.

All a bit of a confusing area.

Just reading about someone who got turned away from the airport going out to Ibiza because they didn’t have 6 months left from 10 years after the issue date.

Apparently the EU consider a passport validity for third countries to be 10 years from the issue date rather than 10 years from the expiry date. Might be worth checking for anyone planning to go away this summer.

There also seems to be confusion whether the validity period is 3 months or 6 months. The uk.gov website says 6 months but EU regs apparently say 3 months.

Been the case for probably nearly two year now. We were the only country that issued a passport longer than ten years. All about being part of the Schengen area which we aren’t after brexit.
The validity depends on which country in the schengen area you travel to so they (HMPO) say 6 months to be safe.

Been the case for probably nearly two year now. We were the only country that issued a passport longer than ten years. All about being part of the Schengen area which we aren’t after brexit.
The validity depends on which country in the schengen area you travel to so they (HMPO) say 6 months to be safe.
Did it not only become effective on 1st January? I’d guess not many people will have travelled since then.

We were never part of Schengen anyway.

Bollix, beaten by the Pompey PO!

Last edited:

Hasnt it always been 6 months left? last time we went forrin` I`m sure the travel agent said 6 months, and the kids schools and scouts said the same for european trips, and that was about 5 year back

Hasnt it always been 6 months left? last time we went forrin` I`m sure the travel agent said 6 months, and the kids schools and scouts said the same for european trips, and that was about 5 year back
Used to be to the expiry date before in the EU. Same for USA & Australia though I don’t think they’ve changed and you’ll need visa waiver.

I've travelled with less than a month on mine before but took my second passport just in case.

Last edited:

Back