Park Runs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fletch

Striker
Have only done a handful of park runs (mostly sunderland) and be interested to know what park runs other posters do and how they find the course.

Sunderland - I reckon it will be one of the hardest/slowest as there are a few uphill sections and if its windy at all then it seems to be blowin a gale up there as pretty exposed and on high ground.
South shields - done it once and it was a calm sunny day so didn't find it a problem, was nice to have the view of the sea which took mind off the pain :lol:... however I can imagine it being a nightmare if its windy and/or heavy rain as the coastal path will be boggy as...
Ive heard that the routes at chester le st and at Newcastle are meant to be pretty flat and likely to be faster ?

I've only done the Sunderland one but a few mates do the Albert park one in boro. When they came and tried Sunderland they found it much harder, 30 seconds or so down on their usual time.

I'm tempted to try all the local ones at some point

the durham one is all flat barring one small up-and-down ( which takes about 4 seconds to get over ) nice course beside the river and through fields ive ran it 12 times so far

chester le st as far as im aware is 3x around the park - should be flat but id get bored doing that

mate has done sedgefield and apparently its a hilly course[DOUBLEPOST=1377773283][/DOUBLEPOST]also; the gateshead one is around a pretty park so id like to do that at some point but i think thatl be pretty hilly

Last edited by a moderator:
I do the Whitley Bay one most weeks. Its got a few small hills, and is known not to be classed as one of the fastest. Lovely views as you run along the promenade but very open to the weather elements.

Chester-le-street (riverside parkrun) is very flat, I got my 5km PB there :D the only thing that bugs me is at the top of the course you run across a bit of a field twice, which is fine during summer months but fuck me it's a leg killer when it's wet, slippery and muddy in the wetter months.

I've done Sunderland a few times too and it's like the alps compared to Riverside parkrun !

only done the sunderland 1 but i have ran the shields one many a time whilst out jogging, and if the wind is againt you i can see it being harder than the sunderland park run, im off to york on friday and am planning to do the park run there sat morning so will report back on that but it just looks like a loop and a half so may be a boring park run.

The Durham one was a lot better when you went along the river bank and finished near the Cricket pitch, now it just has the feel of a school cross country route, going round footie pitches and the part were you go through the hole in the wall is a bit daft. Never been there in the rain but imagine its a nightmare when wet as 80% is run on grass.

Heard Gateshead is very tough with hills.

Newcastle is apparently a decent route, but they get too many people there now for the course and can be a bit of a nightmare.

It's where my 5k PB was set. Nice little course.
I don't think its that fast. ok its flat but its a bit twisty with some sharpish bends that take away your rhythm and doing 3 laps to me makes it feel 'long'. Plus there's a bit on the grass which can be a bit slippy.

Newcastle town moor is a decent flat course - theres a 10k race there is a few weeks (its give or take 2 x the parkrun route) if anyone fancies a nice 10k run out.

Yeah, as well as the grass bit, the sharp turn at the top to bring you down alongside the river can be tricky when it's wet too.

It's all fine if its dry though.

albert park, middlesbrough. fast and supposedly nett down hill(!).
darlo. again fast and flat.
both of these involve laps which i don't like particularly. nothing worse if you are giving it full beans and suffering and you've still only run 1 of 3 laps.

Only done the Newcastle one, pb is 21.03. Looking to get back into it after the gnr. There's a new one being setup in Rising Sun Country park in Wallsend for anyone who lives that way, as i do.

Kings Lynn must be one of the flattest - did it while on holiday and beat my Sunderland PB by about 30 seconds.

bushy park. The original one with 800-1000 people every week. Flat and mix of path and grass.

has the record parkrun time of 13:4x i think. Just a bit ahead of me! Superbly organised and great event.

Done York today and misses knocked 3 mins of her pb, very flat and only a little wind, 3minutes quicker than the sunderland park run for her, it's just 1and a half laps of a big circle, loads doing it and nice weather, off for a big fry up now and long run for myself tomorrow night

I do the blackhill one at consett. . .canny nasty like . .all up hill and down hill . .not much comfortable running. Might have a crack at the Chester one seeing as it sounds easy

Only ever done the Sedgefield one, the hill through the trees towards the end of the lap is a right twat.

Nice scenic route for the most part, would recommend it.

Only done the Newcastle one, pb is 21.03. Looking to get back into it after the gnr. There's a new one being setup in Rising Sun Country park in Wallsend for anyone who lives that way, as i do.

Thanks for the heads up. I keep meaning to try the Newcastle one but can never be bothered to get the bus over and just end up going for a run near home instead. The Rising Sun would be a bit closer for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back