Park Lane Roundabout

To be fair it's a terribly signed roundabout. Needs a fresh lick of lane signage put down to make it clear. Someone stopped at a green light when i drove through it on Thursday and then moved when it went to red.

Used to have this problem every day living in Ashbrooke. Someone even followed me home bumper to bumper. Pulled over jumped out the car and he sped off.

Tunstall Road is written on the road on the right lane in the approach to the roundabout. The sheer number of ignorant pricks who fail to notice is staggering. Come onto the middle lane of the roundabout then spiral off. It’s not difficult to understand. Anyone taking the left lane needs to resit their test imo

Last edited:
It's already got a name, it's Priestman Roundabout

Me da always called it The Star roundabout, after a pub used to be next to it. He named most landmarks after the nearest pub though tbf. Giving directions would often be things like "turn left at the White House, up past the Charltons, right at The Stork, down past the Wheatsheaf" etc.

I think that’s part of the problem , the tunstall exit is straight ahead

I do the right then move over to middle lane but my husband always says I’m in the wrong lane and should be in left lane - I guess the key is be considerate of other drivers regardless of which one you use
need to obey the road signs and road markings though.

Stick to your guns. You are right. Point out the road sign that Tunstall is the right lane
I just stay in the left lane, go past park lane then turn right to get to azalea.
you are in the wrong though

you obviously havent used it marra its a f***ing nightmare
Loads. I used to use it daily. It was however just taking the Michael.

I think that’s part of the problem , the tunstall exit is straight ahead

I do the right then move over to middle lane but my husband always says I’m in the wrong lane and should be in left lane - I guess the key is be considerate of other drivers regardless of which one you use
Let’s see if he dares come on and defend himself.
I just stay in the left lane, go past park lane then turn right to get to azalea.
Ah. Here he is. Wrang’un.

need to obey the road signs and road markings though.

Stick to your guns. You are right. Point out the road sign that Tunstall is the right lane

Not like, left hand lane is left turn or straight ahead. I’m going straight ahead to park lane so I’m in the correct lane.

I've been beeped at by other drivers a few times for having the audacity to be in the correct lane and therefore impede their dangerous cutting across of lanes just because they can't be arsed to go around again to get into the correct lane.

I'd say 90% if not more of accidents on the road are down to impatence.

If it’s the one I’m thinking of, it’s a shit roundabout.

Just have the spiral lines for the roundabout and it’ll make it so much simpler.
I’m sure it did, but they’ve worn off.
Both lanes are for Stockton Road. There’s two lanes as you come off the roundabout. Either lane takes you past park lane. Right hand is also for Durham Road and Tunstall Road. Left lane is for Albion place and Stockton Road.

Last edited:
not difficult to understand really.

from the highway code.

On approaching a roundabout take notice and act on all the information available to you, including traffic signs, traffic lights and lane markings which direct you into the correct lane.

i can understand as to where the confusion arises. do some people think of a roundabout as per the very simple highway code examples as to the entrances and exits are a simple north, east, south and west and all are directly opposite at the mouth of the exit. priestman round a bout is not like that, that is why the highway codes, you have to act on information as directed.

from st michaels way to exit tunstall rd, it the road signs and road markings clearly indicate to go to tunstall rd, use the right hand lane as that is for tunstall rd and durham rd. road on roundabout is 3 lanes.

we know left hand lane is for albion place and stockton rd.

we also know the right hand lane is for stockton tce, tunstall rd and durham rd.

that allows the middle lane to be used for the second lane of stockton rd and tunstall rd, the extreme right of the 3 lanes to be for durham rd.

the lane markings on the roundabout guide people.

not so clear is when exit tunstall rd to go to st michaels way.2 lanes on exit of tunstall rd. roundabout has 3 lanes, the left lane then stops and merges onto 2 lanes. no indication as to who has priority. merge in turn i presume if appropriate

Back