Parents - love them

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to sound depressing, but I'm sorry to tell you that watching someone with dementia is horrific. It's absolutely heartbreaking.
It's ok, mate. This is not new to me. Over the last six months I have had situations that were new to me and things that are not nice. I was living there for a while. However, let's turn a negative into a positive. He seems to be doing ok at the minute. That is good.

My mam burst into tears the other week when I went round to fix her printer. She thought that I was moving back in. I must be such a loss. However, she perked up when I said that I was just fixing her printer. I was glad to help out and understood her offsetting the balance of me not moving back in but showing enough attention to fix a printer. Got to give something back for those formative years.

It's ok, mate. This is not new to me. Over the last six months I have had situations that were new to me and things that are not nice. I was living there for a while. However, let's turn a negative into a positive. He seems to be doing ok at the minute. That is good.

My mam burst into tears the other week when I went round to fix her printer. She thought that I was moving back in. I must be such a loss. However, she perked up when I said that I was just fixing her printer. I was glad to help out and understood her offsetting the balance of me not moving back in but showing enough attention to fix a printer. Got to give something back for those formative years.

I honestly don't know an 'appropiate' reply in this situation. It's an awful situation. Life is fuckin shit at times.

Opposite end for me

having a cracking time with my teenage lads in Spain this weekend, but probably will be last for a while as eldest (17) will start going away with his his mates now.

If you are paying they will be there/

Started having the odd drink with me Dad now - didn't bother for 19 years but thought at Christmas what the hell - he still spends most of the time trying to lecture me but that's not going to change

Last edited:
just spent a lovely night with mine, had a shitty few months worried about me dads cancer, tonight was almost back to normal. Apologies I've had a drink
Hope your dad gets better.
Both my parents are gone and I think of them every day. I couldn't have had a better mum and dad if I'd have been given a choice.
Make the most of them while you can.

I love my mam and dad, even though I never lived with them until I was 13. I'm 50 now and physically see them about once every three years or so due to distances. They have a 'policy' of not interfering in my life and as such they must have visited me, the wife and son about five times in six years when we lived about 13 miles from each other.
We emigrated in 2007 and even though they can quite easily afford to visit they choose not to. My mam tells me it's because they don't want to impose upon us, personally I think it's because they're just plain lazy. It's probably a good thing because half a day with them is enough.

Struggling with mine. Especially my mother.
Families are complicated, You now have a family in it's own right. Although it shouldn't be to the exclusion of both of your extended families the nucleus is what you should concentrate on. (or that's what worked for me, although it was mote the closeness of my wife's family to the exlcusion of in laws rather than any child issues) IMVHO

Me and the boy were talking about his grandad at our last home game v Hull.
My dad had no interest in football but he always said to me and my brother and his son and then my boy...'can't understand why you go all over the country to watch that crap. They never win anything!'

Bless him. He'd have still said that if Palace had won the league, all the cups and strictly come dancing in one season.
So little was his interest in the footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back