Parents - love them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drifted from my mam but still love her more than anything. Work with my dad so spend every day with him and couldn't be any closer, he's the best.

Me Dad's 87. His knee's are fucked. He was a joiner for 50 years. My mam died 6 years ago. He's been over this afternoon to supervise me and me brother putting some decking down. Great fun. Every opportunity for him to pick up a saw, chisel, hammer....he's f***ing brilliant. What a great day
My dad was a Joiner and my childhood memories of those years of him showing me how to work wood are wonderful and precious to hold.

Me Dad's 87. His knee's are fucked. He was a joiner for 50 years. My mam died 6 years ago. He's been over this afternoon to supervise me and me brother putting some decking down. Great fun. Every opportunity for him to pick up a saw, chisel, hammer....he's f***ing brilliant. What a great day
Hope ye poured the big fella a whiskey once you downtooled' for the day..

That's so sad mate. Regrets are utterly grim. Best bet is to assume that she understood absolutely everything you thought.....she was your Mam so she would have known how cool you thought she was. Mam's know whats going on in their son's heads

Oh, I know. I was almost certainly a little prick in my teenage years but I'm the youngest of four boys, so I'm sure she put up with much more shit than I gave her. But, yeah, I kind of made up for it in her final few months (better later than never). I mentioned on here once before how it was actually a beautiful moment when she died. It was something like 4 in the morning, but the room was full of people that she loved. & they loved her. I had made a promise to myself when I got the phone call that I would hold her hand until the time came, but I finally had to go for a piss & she nearly clogged it. Anyway, I got back & there was still a pulse there. I actually held her hand for her last breath. I'm the only person that can ever say that.

Without sounding cheesey, if anything, I would hope that I would learn to appreciate my son more (another child on the way) & teach him the value of family & how important it is. Sadly, in most cases, you just don't know what you have until it's taken away from you.

My dad has dementia. It is horrible what he is going through. It is indescribably gut wrenching to state how you feel when your dad asks you who that is with you. 'My bairn, dad. Your grandchild.'

My dad has dementia. It is horrible what he is going through. It is indescribably gut wrenching to state how you feel when your dad asks you who that is with you. 'My bairn, dad. Your grandchild.'

I don't want to sound depressing, but I'm sorry to tell you that watching someone with dementia is horrific. It's absolutely heartbreaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back