Painting doors

Hate gloss paint.

Eggshell all the way and because it’s not shiney it’s hide the mistakes.

I actually like painting. It’s one of the more relaxing DIY jobs tbf

Or more specifically, glossing them.

Any tips? Don’t mind having a go at a bit of painting and decorating, and I generally do ok, but I genuinely despise glossing doors. Always seems to leave a paint ‘line’ in parts, no matter which way round I do them. Is it the paint I’m using? Using quick dry gloss due to the presence of kids, though I would prefer to use ‘proper’ gloss if I could.

Quick dry gloss is awful. It always seems to have brush strokes in it no matter how careful you are with it.

Got banned years ago, only seen water based for donkeys years.

You can still get solvent based gloss. Dulux Professional Liquid gloss is one. Takes ages to dry between coats but it gives a nice finish.

Use a foam roller, you get a smoother finish. Thin the paint down too.

Either paint it flat or at least take the door off and lean it against a wall and chock it up off the floor so you can roll top to bottom in one continuous, even motion.

The tips you'd have been easier googling 5 hours ago?

Haway man, this was a cry for attention. Let's not pretend.

Utterly bizarre comment. RTG is my go to place for many things and queries.A fella off here has just sorted my bathroom for instance (and did a bloody good job).

I did also google tips, ta!

You could’ve just ignored the thread like.

Undercoat, gloss, gloss. Rub down between each coat. Rails and crosses before panels. Work paint in well before laying off.

Used to be a painter and decorator but always hated glossing doors. They show up any imperfection.

Wash your letterbox.

Seriously nee one mentioned cleaning them first? One of the main causes for a bad paint job. Soapy water.
Thank me later.

Undercoat, gloss, gloss. Rub down between each coat. Rails and crosses before panels. Work paint in well before laying off.

Used to be a painter and decorator but always hated glossing doors. They show up any imperfection.

I was once working in some high end flats in Chelski years ago and the painting foreman reckoned he had once painted the doors to No 10 Downing Street. I asked him how they got that astonishing high gloss finish and he reckoned that they actually removed the doors, suspended them from a scaffold parallel to the ground and then painted them from below. He reckoned it was the perfect way to lay off the brush stroke. I never tried this myself but wonder what you make of it? Have you heard anything like this before?

Or more specifically, glossing them.

Any tips? Don’t mind having a go at a bit of painting and decorating, and I generally do ok, but I genuinely despise glossing doors. Always seems to leave a paint ‘line’ in parts, no matter which way round I do them. Is it the paint I’m using? Using quick dry gloss due to the presence of kids, though I would prefer to use ‘proper’ gloss if I could.

Make sure you've got the heating on in the house to save you putting two coats on

I was once working in some high end flats in Chelski years ago and the painting foreman reckoned he had once painted the doors to No 10 Downing Street. I asked him how they got that astonishing high gloss finish and he reckoned that they actually removed the doors, suspended them from a scaffold parallel to the ground and then painted them from below. He reckoned it was the perfect way to lay off the brush stroke. I never tried this myself but wonder what you make of it? Have you heard anything like this before?

BBC News - Why is the door at 10 Downing St so shiny?

Back