Painting doors

Or more specifically, glossing them.

Any tips? Don’t mind having a go at a bit of painting and decorating, and I generally do ok, but I genuinely despise glossing doors. Always seems to leave a paint ‘line’ in parts, no matter which way round I do them. Is it the paint I’m using? Using quick dry gloss due to the presence of kids, though I would prefer to use ‘proper’ gloss if I could.

Or more specifically, glossing them.

Any tips? Don’t mind having a go at a bit of painting and decorating, and I generally do ok, but I genuinely despise glossing doors. Always seems to leave a paint ‘line’ in parts, no matter which way round I do them. Is it the paint I’m using? Using quick dry gloss due to the presence of kids, though I would prefer to use ‘proper’ gloss if I could.
My advice would be to not gloss them. Looks nice for a shirt while then the inevitable discolouration comes.

Also, if you’ve got kids, make sure they’re out of the house when you do it. Not because of the fumes, but last time I did some ‘glossing’ they learnt all sorts of new words.

I was doing it in the garage earlier. I f***ing despise it, but I’ve done a few doors a while back so I’ve got to see it through. Those were proper gloss as opposed to the quick dry stuff.

Lay it on then lay it off. (Put a stripe coat on then spread it out thinly in the opposite direction with the brush)

Do the panels first then the inside rails and finish off with the outside rails.

They're really not that difficult

...and don't use quick dry paint

Back