Pain never goes away...

He's always in your heart @Rokerparkpies my love, big hugs to you and the missus ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜˜
Keep howld ๐Ÿ˜” xx
โค๏ธ
My dad died just short of 70 years old. I was away on holiday and was told on my return the following day. Heโ€™d just gone for a walk and was sat on a garden wall in Town End Farm opposite Ferryboat Lane when he just keeled over and died.
Heโ€™d fought in North Africa and worked hard all of his life and was a genuinely smashing dad and grandad.
I never feel sad when I think of him, especially at this time of year, and always remember him with a smile! R.I.P. Dad. ๐Ÿ™‚
Miss my parents alot..I come from a strong Catholic family( I've lapsed a little over time) but still go to 'midnight mass' and light a few candles for family who've passed away..but I now look at my boy who is flourishing...luckily Sporty and academic ( from his Mam I suspect๐Ÿ˜„)...and loves SAFC obviously!
But in times of sorrow he's a shining light when things are tough.

Last edited:

I can relate to the op, that type of pain is with you forever. It comes and goes in waves for me personally.

Regarding the meningitis part of the op , the boy had it in January. I didnโ€™t think for one moment a 24 year old big strong boy would be floored with meningitis, it come from nowhere.
First time in my life I put my hands together and prayed out loud for him to wake up. Terrifying.

Lucky he made a full recover and Is back 100% with no issues.

Hope the op and his Mrs have a decent Xmas . Goes for everyone tbh.

I can relate to the op, that type of pain is with you forever. It comes and goes in waves for me personally.

Regarding the meningitis part of the op , the boy had it in January. I didnโ€™t think for one moment a 24 year old big strong boy would be floored with meningitis, it come from nowhere.
First time in my life I put my hands together and prayed out loud for him to wake up. Terrifying.

Meningitis is a terrifying disease..largely gets forgotten about...time is of the essence if contracted especially if its Meningococcal Septicaemia..it mutates rapidly and is sometimes very hard to diagnose...
So glad your son made a full recovery...it absolutely terrifies me

He has been very lucky mate, never really considered what my parents when through when I was ill with it until I was a parent myself.

My mate's bairn died from it. Thing is they went to their GP and were sent home - he died 6 hours later. He could've been saved. They got ยฃ10K compo - 10k for a life that could've been saved.

I joined the SMB in July 2007, roughly a month after my infant daughter died. The community and perspectives given by this board have been a consistent help for me since but the pain never disappears.

Every year a couple of weeks before her anniversary I can feel myself withdrawing and sink into a depression until the date passes. A non-descript couple of weeks in May and June is bad enough but to have that period covering Christmas is far worse.

My sympathies are with the OP and anyone else mourning a loved one at this time of year.

No idea how you both carried on after that. You have a strength I hopefully will never understand. Christmas can be hard for many hope you make the best of it you can mate.

20 years ago today we lost our 1st son to that Abhorrent disease Meningitis...absolutely cuts me in half seeing the wife upset...wish I could dis-invent that bastard thing!
๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”

I am deeply sorry for your loss.

When I read your post I was in the back of a car, sitting next to my son. I just stared at him, welling up a bit, trying to imagine my world without him, and I just couldn't.

In Robert Webb's book, "How not to be a boy", he goes through how his mum died when he was a kid, and says:

"One way of imagining life is that itโ€™s a competition between love and death. Death always wins, of course, but love is there to make its victory a hollow one. Thatโ€™s what love is for."

I always come back to that whenever somebody passes away. It made me blub when I read it and still moves me whenever I think of it.

Take care. Reach out if ever you need to talk.

I am deeply sorry for your loss.

When I read your post I was in the back of a car, sitting next to my son. I just stared at him, welling up a bit, trying to imagine my world without him, and I just couldn't.

In Robert Webb's book, "How not to be a boy", he goes through how his mum died when he was a kid, and says:

"One way of imagining life is that itโ€™s a competition between love and death. Death always wins, of course, but love is there to make its victory a hollow one. Thatโ€™s what love is for."

I always come back to that whenever somebody passes away. It made me blub when I read it and still moves me whenever I think of it.

Take care. Reach out if ever you need to talk.
Thank you for your very kind words.
I'll be honest...myself and my wife have had some very dark days..
The grief we felt/still feel is real to this day.

As the years have passed we manage to deal with it( for want of better words)...but it always there.
It really.. at times tested our marriage to the brink but we found a way through it...then to compound things I lost my mam...then my brother in law within a couple of years.

Please don't think this is all about us..there are hundreds and hundreds of families around the country who are going through the same terrible tradgedy.

I/we would just like to ask people to be aware of Meningitis..its an absolutely Abhorrent disease!!
Our son died within 8 hrs of contracting it...and anyone who has been affected by it..our hearts absolutely go out to them.

But to present day...we have a wonderful 15 old lad..a good lad..Sporty.. bright..kind..but leaves his bedroom messy!๐Ÿ˜„

Finally..I would like to thank everyone for thier kind words..
This forum is brilliant and is a good source of conversation and laughter..
Merry Christmas and a happy new year...stay safe everybody!!
๐ŸŽ…๐ŸŽ…โ›„๏ธ๐ŸŒฒโ›„๏ธโ›„๏ธ๐Ÿฅ‚๐Ÿฅ‚๐ŸŽ…๐ŸŽ…

20 years ago today we lost our 1st son to that Abhorrent disease Meningitis...absolutely cuts me in half seeing the wife upset...wish I could dis-invent that bastard thing!
๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”
Ah mate Iโ€™m so sorry for you.

I lost a good mate to it 30 years ago. A strapping healthy football loving lad.

I couldnโ€™t get my head round how quick it was, he woke up at 9 feeing hung over and was dead at 3.

Awful illeness.

Back