Oxford vaccine

The markets don't lie. AstraZeneca's share price is falling.

Their vaccine is not comparable to Moderna or Pfizer's.

Americans won't settle for 2nd best, they want the best healthcare that money can buy.
You are right. Pfizer and Moderna are using mRNA technology and the Oxford/AZ is plain old adenovirus vaccine which means they completely incomparable.

Also nowt to do with their healthcare system or the share price which isn't a great mover either way

Last edited:

Americans won't settle for 2nd best, they want the best healthcare that money can buy.

Share price will be affected by a number of things

- They may have factored in the vaccine - AstraZenica pricd has increased a couple of times on early reports
- The UK economic outlook was anticipating a slower recovery (2022)
- Although people are rightly excited by the vaccine because AZ have indicated they will not make huge profits - this is great for us but not great for shareholders as there will not necessarily be a huge dividend paid as a result - therefore the return to shareholders although great in health terms will not necessarily increase the share price

Transparency and thorough scrutiny is in everyone's interests. I hope when they do the final analysis they provide more clarity in what they release to the public to address some of these questions

Of course all questions and murkiness will be resolved before we get to the point of mass delivery. ..

These are unusual Times and it's not normal for the Pharmaceutical industry to start flagging up positives in their drug trials- but companies and Governments are spinning the positivity on all of this as they know we need good news

I feel pretty confident that all 3 of these vaccines will be good to go when the fat lady has sung.

Also maybe even the Sputnik vaccine

- don't forget about that one- half the cost of US pharmaceutical products apparently.

They have agreed to sell 20m doses to Argentina

You are right. Pfizer and Moderna are using mRNA technology and the Oxford/AZ is plain old adenovirus vaccine which means they completely incomparable.

Also nowt to do with their healthcare system or the share price which isn't a great mover either way

One benefit of adenovirus vaccines ( Ox-AZ + SputnikV) is they can be stored in standard refrigerators, rather than needing very cold freezers .....and that’s a big plus in terms of rolling it out across poorer countries.

Durability , deliverability and lower cost might count for more than pure efficacy in this case

Last edited:
British press starting to report it now

They seem determined for it to fail for some reason

Apparently there is legitimate confusion surrounding the data, including efficacy in the over 55 years age group.

I think their data is to be submitted for peer review within a few weeks, so you'd expect conclusions to be drawn then.

There are also some unusual practices from this trial, such as data being combined from the UK and Brasil trials, but to my untutored eye I fail to see how that would statistically compromise the results.

Time will tell.

Let me guess. Was it mild concern at the prospect of a lifesaving vaccine trial programme not going as smoothly as we all hope?

Or more the fact ever since this pandemic began the papers in this country every time something remotely positive happens they try and put some kind of negative spin on it.

Why would their share price spike when they’re working at cost?

Share prices spike when the markets smell a profit.

I don't understand the issue.

If the vaccine is safe and at least 50% effective it should get approval even if the data doesn't back up their 90% claim.
The issue seems to fundamentally boil down to a lack of clarity and transparency about the AZ trial. In short, people with credibility who have delved into it in detail have suggested that something doesn't really add up based on the fragments of info they've pieced together from press release, statements and trial protocol. For various reasons related to that, it means there are fears that the numbers released might not be the full picture so what we think we know about the efficacy might not be all it seems.

At best, it's confusion bred by a lack of transparency and poor communication that can be solved by the opposite, at worst it's dodginess that could affect approval of the vaccine.

At the moment we don't know, and hopefully when the Phase 3 data are published in the next couple of weeks it is much clearer and more convincing

The issue seems to fundamentally boil down to a lack of clarity and transparency about the AZ trial. In short, people with credibility who have delved into it in detail have suggested that something doesn't really add up based on the fragments of info they've pieced together from press release, statements and trial protocol. For various reasons related to that, it means there are fears that the numbers released might not be the full picture so what we think we know about the efficacy might not be all it seems.

At best, it's confusion bred by a lack of transparency and poor communication that can be solved by the opposite, at worst it's dodginess that could affect approval of the vaccine.

At the moment we don't know, and hopefully when the Phase 3 data are published in the next couple of weeks it is much clearer and more convincing
And that is the danger of people making assumptions without full text data available for analysis and peer review.

I dont think full data has been released for any of the 3 vaccines yet have they?

f***ing shambles. Hopefully other candidates get their shit together or AZ figures their shit out. That's a first-year university trial level fuckup and would still be considered unworthy there. God this year f***ing sucks.

And that is the danger of people making assumptions without full text data available for analysis and peer review.

I dont think full data has been released for any of the 3 vaccines yet have they?
No. Fingers crossed it comes very soon for all three and there's radical transparency across the board so legitimate questions can be answered.
Another interesting piece on the three vaccine trials by a statistician: A Dose (or more) of Positivity - Reading into AstraZeneca's Interim Analysis Results

Last edited:

Back