Oxford vaccine

not Like America to knock something that puts Their ability to make money at risk is it!
The author is Australian.
there seems to be an awful of comments beginning with "presumably" and "perhaps". I reckon this person hasnt seen any Oxford data to actually substantiate their hypothesis
I think that's part of the point though isn't it? The murkiness.

But that aside, at least some of the parts that are knowable that she's talking about are a bit...well they're at the very least a bit odd.

Put it this way, right now I wouldn't assume it's a given that this gets through the regulators

Last edited:

I think that's part of the point though isn't it? The murkiness.

But that aside, at least some of the parts that are knowable that she's talking about are a bit...well they're at the very least a bit odd.

Put it this way, right now I wouldn't assume it's a given that this gets through the regulators
Without saying too much I dont think its murky and I dont share your scepticism about its potential licensing based on her article

Most the criticism of the Oxford vaccine is coming from US big pharama because they are pissed off that they are not going to make a killing on their own vaccines which cost between 15 and 25 dollars a shot. The Oxford one is 3 dollars. The agreement the Jenner Institute has with Zeneca is that they produce the first lot for 3 dollars a shot for everyone in the world, then later they keep it at 3 dollars for low income countries and they can charge what they like in rich countries.

Oxford is a not for profit outfit. No US company were interested in taking up the manufacture unless they had world distribution rights which the Jenner Institute was not willing to do.

There is an interesting back story about Dr Adrian Hill, Director of the Jenner Institute who has made it his life's work to work on vaccines for third world countries, inspired so by a visit to Africa when he was a medical student. From that work he did, all his research was based on developing vaccines that were cheap and didn't need special control conditions so that they could be easily distributed in countries that had little or no infrastructure to do so.
Its still good, but the 'not for profit' is only while the pandemic is going on, which they have declared that to be July iirc.
After that they can charge what they like.

Without saying too much I dont think its murky and I dont share your scepticism about its potential licensing based on her article
Ok, that's fine. I'm not saying it's murky to imply something nefarious - opaque might be more appropriate. I would think the regulators would want to (and should) thoroughly investigate all of the data mentioned being collected in the trial protocol, not only that from the two subgroups they mentioned in the press release.

Ok, that's fine. I'm not saying it's murky to imply something nefarious - opaque might be more appropriate. I would think the regulators would want to (and should) thoroughly investigate all of the data mentioned being collected in the trial protocol, not only that from the two subgroups they mentioned in the press release.

And they will check it all. Listen to Prof. Adrian Hill on the subject.

Its still good, but the 'not for profit' is only while the pandemic is going on, which they have declared that to be July iirc.
After that they can charge what they like.

Yes, in rich countries they can charge what they like, but it is still going to remain affordable for less well off countries. This interview explains the relationship between academia and big pharma.
Transparency and thorough scrutiny is in everyone's interests. I hope when they do the final analysis they provide more clarity in what they release to the public to address some of these questions.

When a trial on the monkeys was done earlier, the US rubished the Oxford vaccine without actually looking at the detail of how the trial was conducted. (From what I recall, the monkeys were injected with a large dose of the actual virus into their noses). The monkeys got a mild dose of Covid 19, so the yanks wrote it off. I remember reading an article at the time where they said that the viciousness of the attack made by US scientists was really unusual.

The Oxford team are working with the UK regulatory body and the EU Medicines Board, not the US FDA. This may also piss them off as well. Its all about the money. They even say in that article that AstraZenica's share price went down which only means that AstraZenica isn't expected to make a huge profit from the distribution of the vaccine.
Transparency and thorough scrutiny is in everyone's interests. I hope when they do the final analysis they provide more clarity in what they release to the public to address some of these questions

Seriously, do you really think the UK regulators or the EU regulators would the vaccine be used without thorough testing. FFS, the EU won't allow chicken to be washed in chlorine!

Last edited:
Seriously, do you really think the UK regulators or the EU regulators would the vaccine be used without thorough testing. FFS, the EU won't allow chicken to be washed in chlorine!
Honestly, I think that's the wrong question.

Ultimately, all I'm going to say is that I hope for all of the vaccines that all of the data are submitted, that there's clear explanation of the methods and analysis that accords with what is set out in the trial protocol, and the scrutiny of all of this is thorough. Believe it or not all those conditions are not always met.

Yes, in rich countries they can charge what they like, but it is still going to remain affordable for less well off countries. This interview explains the relationship between academia and big pharma.

When a trial on the monkeys was done earlier, the US rubished the Oxford vaccine without actually looking at the detail of how the trial was conducted. (From what I recall, the monkeys were injected with a large dose of the actual virus into their noses). The monkeys got a mild dose of Covid 19, so the yanks wrote it off. I remember reading an article at the time where they said that the viciousness of the attack made by US scientists was really unusual.

The Oxford team are working with the UK regulatory body and the EU Medicines Board, not the US FDA. This may also piss them off as well. Its all about the money. They even say in that article that AstraZenica's share price went down which only means that AstraZenica isn't expected to make a huge profit from the distribution of the vaccine.

thats the article youre on about

There is every right to have some reservations or the right to know more data but that Wired article just seems to come across as very bitter. Listen to the people who know what they are talking about Sarah Gilbert, Andrew Pollard etc.

Last edited:
I can’t believe that Astrazeneca and Oxford would do anything during the trials that was not absolutely by the book. Theses are not 2 bob organisations. Some of these articles are suggesting they are incompetent.

New York Times running an article. What have AZ/Oxford got to gain from releasing data that is incorrect. If it isn't up to standard as it seems from the USA they think it is then it doesn't get authorised. Seems to be a lot of bitterness coming from the Americans on this.

No way would you have the people behind this vaccine going to the Downing Street press conference or appearing on virtually ever major UK News programme this week if what they know about this vaccine was incorrect. If the US don't want any of this vaccine then tell them to fuck off and give it to people/countries who need it most.

Last edited:
New York Times running an article. What have AZ/Oxford got to gain from releasing data that is incorrect. If it isn't up to standard as it seems from the USA they think it is then it doesn't get authorised. Seems to be a lot of bitterness coming from the Americans on this.

No way would you have the people behind this vaccine going to the Downing Street press conference or appearing on virtually ever major UK News programme this week if what they know about this vaccine was incorrect. If the US don't want any of this vaccine then tell them to fuck off and give it to people/countries who need it most.

well don't give them any if they come cap in hand( or charge them extortionate amounts ) - the reports loaded from the start, describing process as ' cheap ' .

Giving the wrong dose is a bit weird, they are leaving themselves open to scrutiny to be fair not that we know much about the others.

Seems like every time we get some good news or hope, there has to be someone or a media company desperate to put a dampener on things

It will take time to get it out but we've had three vaccines showing they work and we could be literally days from some of them getting into people and tonight I read articles like ones on here and there is Tim Spector claiming a third wave is likely.

thats the article youre on about

There is every right to have some reservations or the right to know more data but that Wired article just seems to come across as very bitter. Listen to the people who know what they are talking about Sarah Gilbert, Andrew Pollard etc.

Are you saying you'd take the word of a bunch of Oxford Professors who just happen to be some of the world's foremost experts in their field over some American rag like........

The markets don't lie. AstraZeneca's share price is falling.

Their vaccine is not comparable to Moderna or Pfizer's.

Americans won't settle for 2nd best, they want the best healthcare that money can buy.

Last edited:

Back