Oxford student stabs boyfriend - could be spared jail

Sentence has only been deferred. She may still receive a custodial sentence. The court is entitled to consider whether the level of punishment is proportionate, not only for the "victim" and public more generally, but whether that punishment is proportionate to the accused person. Notwithstanding the serious nature of the offence, and whilst it clearly would deserve a custodial sentence, the judge has looked at it and considered that he might be persuaded not to jail her when she's back in court given her age, what she is trying to achieve, and (presumably) her lack of previous offending. I obviously don't know her full background, but it looks like a sensible decision to me.

or maybe the judge found that sentencing her wasn't justified based on the evidence and her character.

Then again maybe it is a huge conspiracy and people are rightly getting angry at a right wing tabloid piece on it

It's fairly well understood that the justice system plays out far better for some than it does for others.

That judge is gonna look aright prick when she's working in McDonald's in the future after one too many drink and drug sessions.

Or she stabs a future lover after one too many Proseccos.

I'm sure that recently a lad escaped prison cos he made out to the judge it would wreck a promising football career - the lad was lying and he was duly sent down. A meringue?

I wonder how she will get an enhanced DBS certificate, something hospital volunteers need let alone a trainee doctor/surgeon, she will have to declare that conviction for at least 10 years.

Have you met medical students? Half of them are lit on coke. Some I used to work with were so perennially fucked they put ivs in themselves overnight to cure the hangovers.

Or a good few lung fulls of oxygen.
Played rugby for Medicals many years ago (as a ringer) and was quite surprised by the levels of drinking from what should have been a sensible group.

Love how the 'drug addict' line is so nonchalantly dropped in. With no explanation how that is the case.

I'm not a drug user but understand there's a difference between recreation and addiction. It's a little inflammatory.

A violent drug addict?

No previous? Training to be a doctor. People do fucked up stuff on the sauce and sniff

Repeat offender bang them away

Danger to society bang them away

This lass? Neither of those I reckon but it's the judge who decides having seen the entire case and I agree with him

What's this got to do with being right wing or left wing? She was off her face on drugs and stabbed someone.

Because right wing tabloids generally like to create or perpetuate moral panics for the permanently outraged

No previous? Training to be a doctor. People do fucked up stuff on the sauce and sniff

Repeat offender bang them away

Danger to society bang them away

This lass? Neither of those I reckon but it's the judge who decides having seen the entire case and I agree with him

Because right wing tabloids generally like to create or perpetuate moral panics for the permanently outraged

with your multiple degrees you should bump off Moyes and be a bigger hero to the board than you already are and escape punishment

She could become the next Shipman, butchering her patients as they lie on the operating table.

And WAD. If she let me buck her I'd happily let her knife me.

Back