Oxford student stabs boyfriend - could be spared jail

What if a male doctor stabbed his missus? Does he get away with it because of his profession.

Is this why certain members of the BBC and certain politicians get away with the commonly known crimes that have taken place?

No previous? Training to be a doctor. People do fucked up stuff on the sauce and sniff

Repeat offender bang them away

Danger to society bang them away

This lass? Neither of those I reckon but it's the judge who decides having seen the entire case and I agree with him

Because right wing tabloids generally like to create or perpetuate moral panics for the permanently outraged
No previous? Training to be a hairdresser at a local college, stabs boyfriend after a row while being pissed and high, crime or let off?

Okay, I'll give you an example. Person I dealt with in the past week or so.

Accused person pleads guilty to being in possession of an offensive weapon, namely a hammer, and a second charge of causing fear and alarm by brandishing the hammer and making threats.

Normally, that would be deferred for three or four weeks to get background reports. Because of the very particular circumstances of the offence and background, I persuaded the Sheriff to defer sentence for six months. That was a very unusual outcome, given the brandishing a hammer, but the papers, if they'd reported it, would have been along the lines of "Hammer thug walks free from court."

The bottom line is that the lad was going through serious problems, the people he was "offending" was his family, they phoned the plod because they were worried about him and not themselves. They were all in court and supported him to the hilt.

Be careful what you believe, folks!

Accused person pleads guilty to being in possession of an offensive weapon, namely a hammer, and a second charge of causing fear and alarm by brandishing the hammer and making threats.

Normally, that would be deferred for three or four weeks to get background reports. Because of the very particular circumstances of the offence and background, I persuaded the Sheriff to defer sentence for six months. That was a very unusual outcome, given the brandishing a hammer, but the papers, if they'd reported it, would have been along the lines of "Hammer thug walks free from court."

The bottom line is that the lad was going through serious problems, the people he was "offending" was his family, they phoned the plod because they were worried about him and not themselves. They were all in court and supported him to the hilt.

She stabbed him. She didn't threaten him with a knife. She actually stabbed him.

No previous? Training to be a doctor. People do fucked up stuff on the sauce and sniff

This lass? Neither of those I reckon but it's the judge who decides having seen the entire case and I agree with him

Because right wing tabloids generally like to create or perpetuate moral panics for the permanently outraged

While I understand what you're saying (and would agree that a non-custodial sentence is probably appropriate - we send FAR too many people to prison) I have to say I find it pretty shocking how much of a role class can play in sentencing. There was a university professor up at Durham Crown Court who during sentencing had comments made to the effect of "your fall from grace and ending your career in shame is punishment enough".

I really struggle with the fact a "career" and "aspirations" has, at times, resulted in people getting lesser sentences based on class and education. It should be entirely on, as you say, likelihood of reoffending, seriousness of the offence etc. I suspect many judges (clearly from a particular background, generally) tend to treat offenders from a similar background as them more lightly.

There's a slight difference mind!

Her wanting to be a doctor is irrelevant, I can't see her surviving a fitness to practise case for entry into the profession.
I presume they are thinking along the lines of the contributions she will make to research/ advancing treatment given she's already having her work published as a student. Still I don't think that should matter when you stab someone

Last edited:

Aggravating factor when it comes to sentencing, not an excuse.

Looking at the Sentencing Council guidelines, I'd have put this is Category 2, lesser harm but higher culpability (although we don't know how badly he was injured, if it was particularly bad you could push it to Category 1).

That gives a starting point of 1 year 6 months with a range of between 1 and 3 years total. Using aggravating (alcohol and drugs, use of a weapon, sustained attack, domestic violence case) and mitigating factors (isolated incident, good character, no previous), on the balance I'd say it would go up the scale beyond 1 year and 6 months.

Then there's time off for a guilty plea, assuming it was done at the first opportunity you'd probably fall under a two year total sentence which is low enough for it to be suspended.

Will he suspend it? Maybe. Should he suspend it? Maybe. Is sentencing consistent across race, gender and class? Definitely not.

According to the article she's currently in either Barbados or Italy.

I'm sure that's perfectly normal as well.

Not sure about Barbados but Italy would seem to be, in this case. The article says that she attended a Milan based British school, which would suggest that she grew up in Italy and her family live there.

Not sure about Barbados but Italy would seem to be, in this case. The article says that she attended a Milan based British school, which would suggest that she grew up in Italy and her family live there.

There was a photo in one of the papers of her boarding what looked like a private jet. I'd imagine it's fair to say she had a privlidged upbringing

No previous? Training to be a hairdresser at a local college, stabs boyfriend after a row while being pissed and high, crime or let off?

he's got form for defending splits that use lethal weapons before thinking better of it, defended an antifa activist using broken bottles a while ago after she'd bragged about going to take 'nazi scalps' - it's misguided just virtue signalling.

Back