Oviedo but

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a fair point. I just think ideally as a league one club the saving of nearly one n a half million quid would be huge. Same if Watmore went really, yes on too big a wage here n all. It might be sustainable now catts and love has gone. But Oviedo leaving would be the icing on the cake.

Maybe we would manage fine with him, we'd manage even better without him. It's not as if he over achieved last season, yes he's a good international player. But maybe he should be performing better given the quality of player he is in league one terms. He did well last season, but that's the minimum to be expected.

On the smaller squad, I'm certain one out one in won't work.. Who's going to want the remainder of our players? Oviedo perhaps so that means we would be getting one more player. If Oviedo goes we need three, if he stays we need two.

Icing on the cake for who though? As fans we'll probably end up seeing a poorer product next year.

I'd like to say we'd manage fine without him but then at the same time Hume is a young player that's had knee problems so worth considering too imo.

I don't think it will work either but seems to be the way it'll be. They'll end up paying Loovens off to get in another CB imo. As i said above I still think we need a CM & a 10 but the chance of shifting 2 midfielders is slim.

Robson for Cattermole, Embleton for Gooch, Gooch for James

But that's not 1 out, 1 in, is it?.....and by your reckoning we've replaced our best CM of last season with someone who got 4/10 in the match report against a B team.

Who were the replacements for Cattermole and James?

People are expecting 2/3 players in if Oviedo leaves and it simply isn't going to happen and hasn't been happening when high earners have left. if we're playing 352 we need someone like him too. Sure Hume has pace but Oviedo actually has ability on the ball.

Think the craving to get rid of Oviedo stems from an idea it'll kick off transfer activity and the likes of Maddison will come in. I think those that think that are sadly mistaken and we won't even be in for him.

Icing on the cake for who though? As fans we'll probably end up seeing a poorer product next year.

I'd like to say we'd manage fine without him but then at the same time Hume is a young player that's had knee problems so worth considering too imo.

I don't think it will work either but seems to be the way it'll be. They'll end up paying Loovens off to get in another CB imo. As i said above I still think we need a CM & a 10 but the chance of shifting 2 midfielders is slim.

CM and no. 10 are the only two positions we should be focusing on tbh. I can live with that defence this year, its been improved on last season no matter how you look at it.

If we don't get a no 10 or a winger in then we may struggle for goals again.

People are expecting 2/3 players in if Oviedo leaves and it simply isn't going to happen and hasn't been happening when high earners have left. if we're playing 352 we need someone like him too. Sure Hume has pace but Oviedo actually has ability on the ball.

Think the craving to get rid of Oviedo stems from an idea it'll kick off transfer activity and the likes of Maddison will come in. I think those that think that are sadly mistaken and we won't even be in for him.

Spot on mate. I'd rather retain his services than the alternative you highlight.

Absolute rubbish. You're wrong on this one mate and Oviedo does not deserve to be made a scapegoat, nor does he deserve to be hounded out.
We’ll have to disagree. The money saved by getting him off the books could totally rebuild the team. He knows the position the club is in, has made a packet and should be willing to sit down and sort a move out. People saying any monies saved would not be spent on team rebuilding are just speculating.
He was unavailable for a long period last season wasn’t he? Funny how that happened after his proposed move to WBA fell through.
Yes I get it we offered him the contract it’s our fault but getting him off the books would imo make a massive difference to our first team line up.

I think we will make use of the loan market, but probably after teams have registered their first team squad. That's when players will know they won't be playing and start looking for other options.

I'd me more inclined to go with Watmore, Maguire or Kimpioka than continue to rely on the stagnant duo of Grigg and Wyke. Ideally we manage to cut our losses and get rid of one allowing us to replace them (unlikely though and very much wishful thinking). Some still think we'll be in for Marquis, although he'd warrant a fee which goes against what Ross has said of late (could be a smokescreen mind). I'm unsure if he'll be any better, he surely can't be any worse.

Hopefully we do, at least we have an extended period in the transfer window.

I'd like to see us move Wyke on, simply doesn't fit the way we play or how we want to play. He's a big lad but his touch/hold up isn't there. Not sure if we even scouted Grigg but he also doesn't seem to fit into the way we want to play. Would suggest we watched his best of on YouTube when we heard he was available.

We’ll have to disagree. The money saved by getting him off the books could totally rebuild the team. He knows the position the club is in, has made a packet and should be willing to sit down and sort a move out. People saying any monies saved would not be spent on team rebuilding are just speculating.
He was unavailable for a long period last season wasn’t he? Funny how that happened after his proposed move to WBA fell through.
Yes I get it we offered him the contract it’s our fault but getting him off the books would imo make a massive difference to our first team line up.

I honestly don't think it would. In fact, if he's staying, I think Ross should be devising a formation that can allow for both Hume and Oviedo, there's no reason why Oviedo can't play further forward, his creativity and control of the ball is as good as anyone at the club, bar McGeady and possibly Maguire. He's also one of a few players that we have that aren't actually afraid to have a shot from outside the box.

Spot on mate. I'd rather retain his services than the alternative you highlight.

I totally understand his wage is an issue and he's not physically the strongest so his abilities doesn't naturally lend itself to playing full back and doing so at this level. However the criticism of him is way over the top seemingly in part because of his wage and he's made for 352 and the Wingback role and early last season when we played a version of it he was one of our most creative players.

We're not going to rebuild the team though?

Several players could replace Cattermole as he was surplus to requirements (Leadbitter, Power, O'Nien, McGeough)
McLaughlin would be for Matthews but again with James, surplus as we have Hume and Oviedo.
Both CM & FB positions were overloaded with players.

Cattermole was our best CM by a mile though and if Oviedo is persuaded to leave that's 3 LB's down to one....who isn't that good as things stand.

Would you move from a very lucrative contract just to save a few quid for your multi-million quid worth employer?

He’s got no loyalty to us, so why should he?

I’ll remember him as a decent footballer, who always gave 100 % and was professional when many round him weren’t.

I do expect him to leave this summer mind.

If he was giving 100% last season then I wonder how he ever managed to play in the Premier League.

Okay, do you think what he is doing is okay ?
Do you not wish he would negotiate a deal to leave ?
If your answers are yes and no you are definitely daft.
If your answers are any different just pack in your attempts at a wind up.
Oviedo is a leech.
Djilobodji was a leech. N’Dong was a leech. Roswell was a leech. Darren Gibson was a leech. To a lesser extent, Kone was also a leech.

Oviedo is not a leech.

As has already been pointed out, SAFC offered Oviedo a contract that included commitments regarding his remuneration. You might think that his salary is generous, but at the time it was probably in line with what a Premier League footballer would earn. It was and remains the club’s responsibility to ensure that it had the wherewithal to meet the commitments it made.

Oviedo has generally discharged his contractual obligations. He turns up, trains and plays. Has he been very good ? Well that is a matter of opinion, my own being that he has been OK. Not exceptional, but OK. He always seems to try his best, it’s just that most of the time that ‘best’ is only fair to middling.

But the suggestion that Oviedo should volunteer to forego millions of pounds, essentially donating this to SAFC, is ridiculous. For supporters, SAFC can be a passion; for Oviedo it is an employer. The relationship is fundamentally different.

If he was giving 100% last season then I wonder how he ever managed to play in the Premier League.
Giving 100% doesn’t make you a superb footballer I may add...if I played for Sunderland I’d give 100%, but I’d still be f***ing woeful!!!

Taking away the financial aspects of it does anyone think if he does go will his replacement be as good? I seriously doubt it

No. But they may show more energy, be cheaper, and fit where we are better.

Like Cattermole we could rebuild the entire back line by freeing up his wage. Not the players fault, but a fact nonetheless.

We hamstring ourselves via contractual stupidity.

But that's not 1 out, 1 in, is it?.....and by your reckoning we've replaced our best CM of last season with someone who got 4/10 in the match report against a B team.
Both 'new' players have come into the squad since the end of last season so yes its 2 in 2 out.
Your second point is valid; however I think Robson will average more than 4/10 per game and Cattermole did have one or 2 shockers.

He is bleeding us dry. If you think otherwise you are daft. He must have other options and could negotiate with us and he knows fine well his wages are feckin us up.
If you think what he is doing is fine, more fool you.
He is a leech.

You are daft and naive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back