Our view of Lee Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

A mixed bag
Only time will tell but he will know fairly quickly whether he is doing badly here
its not for the faint hearted when it goes tits up
Parky was lucky - he would have been gone weeks ago if we had crowds
Good luck to him

Probably a good thing. I'd just gotten over throwing my toys out of the pram and they're back out again! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
With us having a SD in place the main thing I want to know is how he sets up to play. If its front foot attacking football then hopefully that is the blueprint the SD wants and the identity they want to give us

He irritated the **** out of me but I wish him luck and Sunderland fans have suffered enough so I hope he gets them up
Although I think he overrates himself and needs to get some basics right I think he’s probably more of a understandable appointment than their new director of football who has spent the last 12 years in charge of Birmingham’s academy
Will be something very interesting to watch - I’d be shocked if he can’t get them in the top 6 at least.

Wish him all the best. Whilst IMO he was probably with us a season to long and I didn’t enjoy the football that was being played. He done a lot of good things at our club . I personally reckon he will do well at Sunderland. Huge club

He gave his all for City I don’t think anyone can doubt, so I wish him all the best genuinely

Good luck to LJ, never wanted him as manager and pleased when he went, but I think he always loved the club and gave his all. Despite some of the negative comments on here, generally he did a very good job, we progressed under his tenure whilst also selling our best players.

Facing Steve cotterill in a league one game at Shrewsbury the same year he said he’d be in Europe with us. What a world

Johnson and Speakman sound very much aligned in their styles and views.
The hiring makes a lot of sense, other than LJ not having the proven ability to take a team up. That could be the sticking point.

Wish him the best. Whatever one thinks of LJ his work ethic at City was second to none and he helped in our ongoing transition to genuine promotion candidates from this division - not a place in which we’ve spent much of our history.

Appointment just described by 5Live as a ‘coup’ for Sunderland and that LJ wouldn’t have taken any other League One job.

I was delighted when he left. No bitterness against the bloke though. I liked him as a player. As a manager his manner grated but it couldn't be denied that he did his best...it just wasn't good enough. Should have been shown the door long before - in my opinion.
Now he's in a job where there's no whiff of nepotism. He has a chance to prove himself on his own terms. Sunderland are a big club...it's a great opportunity for him.

We’re going to see a lot of our players sent there.

Decent overall then.

I’m pleased.
I got the opposite impression. A lot of negative assessment with a few mixed positive opinions thrown in (the footballing equivalent of an Amazon 3 star rating “Looks nice enough for the price but overall it’s a bit rubbish and started falling apart after a week, so I’m a little bit disappointed.”)

If he was actually good, their fans would all say so. Literally none of them do.

Last edited:
Traits of football managers are strange. A reluctance to change when things arent working is odd to me and dont understand why they dont adapt. If they learn from mistakes it would probably make them better managers however there are so many that become stubborn under pressure and it's my way or nothing. Parkinson was an extreme of this. I'm not overly confident that this will be any different as I think his opinion of himself outweighs an acceptance that he will get things wrong but not change.
Onwards and sideways.

Sounds like another shite appointment.
its the "overthinking" comments that get me. Ross, Coleman and Parky did that.

I just want a manager who keeps it simple, buys a balanced squad and has an intent to score more than one goal every game.

This bloke doesnt sound like it.

Traits of football managers are strange. A reluctance to change when things arent working is odd to me and dont understand why they dont adapt. If they learn from mistakes it would probably make them better managers however there are so many that become stubborn under pressure and it's my way or nothing. Parkinson was an extreme of this. I'm not overly confident that this will be any different as I think his opinion of himself outweighs an acceptance that he will get things wrong but not change.
Onwards and sideways.
No worries of that with Johnson. It's the changes to formation when you are playing extremely well that will annoy you.

Strange thing to do.
Taken from OTIB.

"Another thing I've thought of @Mackem33, and when it doesn't pay off it will be infuriating, but Johnson is not afraid to try unusual formations.

We went away to Fulham and played a strikerless formation, and put in an outstanding performance (I think this was 2017-18), we also went with an odd 4-2-2-2 formation against WBA at home, with a CB playing in midfield and tore them apart for a half when they were in great form, though their manager adjusted at half time and they came back into the game and got a deserved goal back. But because the formation had been so effective in the first 20-30 minutes it was a pretty comfortable win in the end.

There were also times where the team would change 3 or 4 times in a game, sometimes these tweaks paid off, other times they seemed to almost confuse the players and hampered the performance."

we have had the likes of O'Neil, Moyes, Bruce, Advocaat etc etc and not got what we expected, so why should we be worried about this guy, he, and us, have nothing to lose lets just see what happens

Bruce was exactly what i expected. Decent in the transfer market, sometimes pulls someone amazing out of left field (sessegnon i think was him) but mostly a shit tactician and tries to buy his way out of problems

I got the opposite impression. A lot of negative assessment with a few mixed positive opinions thrown in (the footballing equivalent of an Amazon 3 star rating “Looks nice enough for the price but overall it’s a bit rubbish and started falling apart after a week, so I’m a little bit disappointed.”)

If he was actually good, their fans would all say so. Literally none of them do.
Guess we’ll see come end of the season how well he’s done for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back