Opinions on Wheelchair travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attempted to get on the no 20 Go North East bus today in wheelchair.

Already a buggie in wheelchair space but plenty of seats on rest of bus. Driver said space already taken. I said, wheelchair have priority ,that's the law. He said it's not, I said yes it is.

Went round like this for a few minutes and he said I can't hoy off a buggie user for you I explained I don't want them off the bus but to fold up buggie so I could get on. He made half arsed attempt to ask him to move buggie a little, lad refused.

I told him to just go. Researched it online and wheelchair does indeed have priority and the next bus I got had a big bloody sticker next to wheelchair space saying that

Wheelchair spaces on buses must be a priority, court rules | Equality and Human Rights Commission

Complain to Go North East

I've tweeted them, tbey said they are sorry and will raise it with the depot.

Sorry seen that you have - drivers need educating

I can understand it if it was a pram with a very young baby in it, but a kid in a pushchair can sit on their dads lap and the buggy can be folded to allow wheelchair access certainly @foolzy, sounds like the bus was filled with utter selfish arseholes.
I’d take my baby out of the pram if I used buses. Alas, I’m not a bus wanker...

Joking aside, I’d write a formal complaint, a tweet isn’t good enough. Literally nothing will happen as a result of a tweet which means this could happen again.

Shocking treatment.

I’d take my baby out of the pram if I used buses. Alas, I’m not a bus wanker...

Joking aside, I’d write a formal complaint, a tweet isn’t good enough. Literally nothing will happen as a result of a tweet which means this could happen again.

Shocking treatment.
^THIS^ - The driver broke wasn't just being a twat, he actually broke the law. A formal complaint doesn't just require a written response, it requires reporting in their complaints figures and requires some form of corrective / preventive action.

Contact the Disability Support Group North East
Phone 0191 567 8107 - or message via their Facebook Group.

Jobsworths who think they know it all unfortunately mate, unfortunately you got a knacker

Very rare I use public transport these days but I did get asked if the bairn wouldnt mind standing so a woman's dog could have the seat so it wouldn't be scared and piss on the bus a few weeks back :lol:
:lol: Fuckin hell

Already a buggie in wheelchair space but plenty of seats on rest of bus. Driver said space already taken. I said, wheelchair have priority ,that's the law. He said it's not, I said yes it is.

Went round like this for a few minutes and he said I can't hoy off a buggie user for you I explained I don't want them off the bus but to fold up buggie so I could get on. He made half arsed attempt to ask him to move buggie a little, lad refused.

I told him to just go. Researched it online and wheelchair does indeed have priority and the next bus I got had a big bloody sticker next to wheelchair space saying that

Wheelchair spaces on buses must be a priority, court rules | Equality and Human Rights Commission
1st come 1st served, he was there 1st just wait for another bus

I’m only joking, shocking behaviour

Last edited:
Jobsworths who think they know it all unfortunately mate, unfortunately you got a knacker

Very rare I use public transport these days but I did get asked if the bairn wouldnt mind standing so a woman's dog could have the seat so it wouldn't be scared and piss on the bus a few weeks back :lol:
Presumably this was all being said in Czech? So she was actually probably asking if you had change for a CK20 note, you just haven’t integrated into the native culture and should be driving taxis for a living.

If you have a phone with you next time just show the below link.

Wheelchairs and buggies : Go North East

They cant get away with that like. Tag them on Twitter and publicly embarrass them.

Driver might then buck his ideas up.

Last edited:
I used to have a baby, then a small child, who needed to be in a pram or buggy of some variety. The pram was always a fold down.

I've also, for reasons I won't bore you with, grown up around various folk with various disabilities - some more significant than others.

The thought of the bloke who refused to move is utterly f***ing disgusting to me. He can pick up the child. He can fold the buggy. He can be mildly inconvenienced for twenty minutes. If I were the driver, I'd have f***ing ordered him to move or fuck off from the bus. What a f***ing prick.

The thought of the bloke who refused to move is utterly f***ing disgusting to me. He can pick up the child. He can fold the buggy. He can be mildly inconvenienced for twenty minutes. If I were the driver, I'd have f***ing ordered him to move or fuck off from the bus. What a f***ing prick.

I could'nt agree more, I don't use buses but if I'd seen the lad refuse he would have got a crack for sure. Surprised no one said nowt to him.

I could'nt agree more, I don't use buses but if I'd seen the lad refuse he would have got a crack for sure. Surprised no one said nowt to him.
So you would have cracked a lad in front of his child on a bus? Even though the driver had made it clear he didn’t ‘have’ to move?

Welcome to the smb mate your gonna fit right in here.

Feel for you. It happened to my parents too. They thought it would be easier using their free bus passes but if they couldn't get on the bus, they didn't get to appointments on time. People are selfish when a buggy can be folded but a wheelchair can't.

Unless the bus was rammed to the nines, there should have been a solution that worked for both the parent and child and the wheelchair user.

If the bus was rammed, then the wheelchair user should likely have to wait for the next bus, same as anyone else, be it pushchair pusher, wheelchair wheeler, dog walker, joe public etc,

Read this after seeing 30 charvers sat watching a chinese girl struggle on n stand with 2 babies n a suitcase on that shitheap 1pm hpool train to the match.

Dont know what the uk is going to be like in another decade or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back