Online Chess

Registration open for the 2024 Chess.com daily championship. Time control of one move per day, no minimum ELO. A good chance to play against people of all different abilities.

I got the app and was addicted for a brief period. Found once I got to a certain level I’d have to become a full nerd to progress so stopped. When you come against people that can plan a few moves ahead and spot patterns it’s a different ball game
I stopped when I started memorising attack plans and finishing moves. Got quite good. The game sucks so much mental energy out of you, I had nothing left for anything else. I had to stop lol

Hit 650 for the first time today and played a game with 95% accuracy and said it was a game that a 1500 rated person would do. Starting to get a lot more consistent and our lass got me a Harry Potter chess set for Christmas and has promised me a few games as long as I show her how to play instead of taking the piss.

I've said it before, but I've never grinded something for as long as I have with this. Little by little I'm getting better and I love it!

Hit 650 for the first time today and played a game with 95% accuracy and said it was a game that a 1500 rated person would do. Starting to get a lot more consistent and our lass got me a Harry Potter chess set for Christmas and has promised me a few games as long as I show her how to play instead of taking the piss.

I've said it before, but I've never grinded something for as long as I have with this. Little by little I'm getting better and I love it!
Nice that.

Love a good game of chess! Played online for a bit, got to a rank of around 1200 then realised I couldn't progress much further without actually learning more opening moves, counters etc. Might give YouTube a go and see where things go.

Love a good game of chess! Played online for a bit, got to a rank of around 1200 then realised I couldn't progress much further without actually learning more opening moves, counters etc. Might give YouTube a go and see where things go.
I'm only at 650 but that is without learning any openings barring the bog standard ones and no endgames at all. I think if I put some effort into that, then I'll go up in leaps and bounds. Until then though, I'll just play by feel.

1200 is pretty good for casual player. You need to start putting some effort in to recognise patterns. The main difference is that above 1200 blunders become rarer though still happen due to time pressures. I wouldn't get too hung up on learning openings by heart, more important to understand the underlying principles.

Gotham Chess is one of the best YouTube chess channels. A lot of the others seem more interesting in becoming celebs rather than providing educational content.

A reminder that the chess.com open daily tournament starts tomorrow: Tournament: 2024 Chess.com Daily Chess Championship

Last edited:
1200 is pretty good for casual player. You need to start putting some effort in to recognise patterns. The main difference is that above 1200 blunders become rarer though still happen due to time pressures. I wouldn't get too hung up on learning openings by heart, more important to understand the underlying principles.

Gotham Chess is one of the best YouTube chess channels. A lot of the others seem more interesting in becoming celebs rather than providing educational content.

A reminder that the chess.com open daily tournament starts tomorrow: Tournament: 2024 Chess.com Daily Chess Championship
Yeah there aren't many Chess YouTubers that actually go in depth about the details and principles and how to analyse the board properly. Mostly I would have to read books and books just don't engage me anywhere near as much as video content if I'm honest.

Gotham Chess is really good and watching live streams where GM Daniel Naroditsky or Danny Rensch are commentating are easier for me to understand. Some of the GMs sound like they are speaking a different language with the technicalities so I just want to hear it dumbed down a little bit for the level I am currently at.

Taking some over my derby day frustration out on the chess board. In the space of a week, I've went from 650 to 751 and won 35 out of my last 50 games with lots of 1000+ rated games according to game review.

Everything just seems to have clicked into place for now. I know once I get to about 1000-1200, the standard of players will drastically improve and it will become a lot harder to improve my ELO, but at least my game is coming on leaps and bounds in the meantime.

Oh and yeah....FTM

Are you taking the piss? He's the worst. Can't stand him.

John Bartholomew/GingerGM/Agadmator all way better for the lower ratings. Bartholomew should be required watching for anyone thinking of playing.

Just watch his Climbing the Rating Ladder playlist and you'll be over 1000 in no time.

Are you taking the piss? He's the worst. Can't stand him.

Fair enough. There are dozens of chess channels so there will be someone with a style who works for everyone.

John Bartholomew/GingerGM/Agadmator all way better for the lower ratings. Bartholomew should be required watching for anyone thinking of playing.

Just watch his Climbing the Rating Ladder playlist and you'll be over 1000 in no time.

I'm already over 1500, thanks.

Back