Online Chess

I played the 15 minute games whatever that is. I tried the 3 minute ones but it just made me question life. The way that Magnus bloke’s mind works is incredible.

I remember first learning that dodgy opening where you checkmate them in 3 moves or something, I forget the name, but it was like a mental orgasm catching someone with it
Scary isn't it.

Annoyingly he's constantly really good at fantasy football too.

Came 11th in the world a few seasons back IIRC

I played the 15 minute games whatever that is. I tried the 3 minute ones but it just made me question life. The way that Magnus bloke’s mind works is incredible.

I remember first learning that dodgy opening where you checkmate them in 3 moves or something, I forget the name, but it was like a mental orgasm catching someone with it

Scholar's mate: Scholar's mate - Wikipedia

There is also Fool's mate: Fool's mate - Wikipedia but you have to be a real fool to fall for it.

I cant play online for longer than 3/5 minute blitz games or 2/1 Bullet tournaments as amount of players awol kills me a bit inside.

I cant play online for longer than 3/5 minute blitz games or 2/1 Bullet tournaments as amount of players awol kills me a bit inside.

I can't even following Bullet when watching it never mind play it. 10 or 15 min games are about right for me.

Most daily tournaments have a 1 or 3 day control. Those can be annoying if you have a opponent who always takes the maximum amount of time even if there is only one legal move. The time control is a maximum not a target.

I started a Chess Club at the local primary school. A few turned up. Then I talked to the others who are in the footy and cricket clubs and reminded them that the size of the trophies for chess competitions was far bigger than the other sports. The next session's attendance increased significantly. (They still did footy and cricket!)

However, that and the Science Club that I did on a different evening just became a creche for the not-right ones. Free child-minding and giving their parents an extra hour of time without having to look after them. I had 5 pupils with EHCPs and the others were also quite lively. It became an after-school special needs class and the school didn't give me any support. In the end I just told them I wasn't going to continue doing either.

Hopefully it got a few of them into chess though.

I started a Chess Club at the local primary school. A few turned up. Then I talked to the others who are in the footy and cricket clubs and reminded them that the size of the trophies for chess competitions was far bigger than the other sports. The next session's attendance increased significantly. (They still did footy and cricket!)

However, that and the Science Club that I did on a different evening just became a creche for the not-right ones. Free child-minding and giving their parents an extra hour of time without having to look after them. I had 5 pupils with EHCPs and the others were also quite lively. It became an after-school special needs class and the school didn't give me any support. In the end I just told them I wasn't going to continue doing either.

Hopefully it got a few of them into chess though.
Helps them stay one step ahead of the law.

My daughter started playing in august so I got roped in to play against her. I won the first few games so she did that obsessive thing only kids do and went off on a learning campaign. She’s bought loads of chess books, made the chips restart a chess club and walks around talking endlessly about openings and gambits.
In the space of 2 months I can’t get near her on the board. She’s beating me in 4 moves and that. Will I ever get any better just playing games or do you need turn into a theory geek to get past a certain point.
I’m shit btw, before anyone asks for a game.

My daughter started playing in august so I got roped in to play against her. I won the first few games so she did that obsessive thing only kids do and went off on a learning campaign. She’s bought loads of chess books, made the chips restart a chess club and walks around talking endlessly about openings and gambits.
In the space of 2 months I can’t get near her on the board. She’s beating me in 4 moves and that. Will I ever get any better just playing games or do you need turn into a theory geek to get past a certain point.

I've never been one for learning openings off by heart but follow a few basic principles nobody should be losing in 4 moves even against the world champion.

I have been playing for about 9 months now a few times a week and really enjoy it. Great way to wind down. Haven’t watched/ read much but have just found myself naturally getting better the more I play.

I've got a lot better just playing games. I've watched some streams on twitch but haven't went on YouTube to learn any openings or gambits so I've just learnt through repetition and getting beat a lot.

Started off at 600, went down to 250 within about 10 days and got schooled a lot and now worked my way back up to about 550. Mind you, I pay a tenner a month so I can review my games and plenty of other stuff and this has probably helped bring my game on quite a lot. It tells me what my ELO should be based on how I play each game and it ranges anywhere from 150 to 1200 so I'm still very inconsistent.

Spent ages stuck at about 550, but finally got above the 600 threshold this afternoon. Took my sweet arsed time getting there, but I've become more consistent doing the grind. Slow and steady usually doesn't win the race, but it seems to be here.

On a side note, this is the first hobby I've had in years where I haven't just given it up after a few weeks and grinded at it for months to get better. That for me is an achievement in itself.

Spent ages stuck at about 550, but finally got above the 600 threshold this afternoon. Took my sweet arsed time getting there, but I've become more consistent doing the grind. Slow and steady usually doesn't win the race, but it seems to be here.

On a side note, this is the first hobby I've had in years where I haven't just given it up after a few weeks and grinded at it for months to get better. That for me is an achievement in itself.
I’ve never been able to breach 600, given up on it a few months ago, think I’ll go back to it

Back