Onions,new contract. yes or no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most counties rest their leading red ball seamers from white ball cricket so Bunny's no different in that respect. He should realise that the best way to prolong his career is to limit it to white ball cricket. Nowadays that means 6 weeks playing, 6 weeks off and then a further 6 weeks playing. So long as he maintains his form a rolling contract should be agreed. Why can't he be happy with that?

I suspect he probably would be if he had decent advisors...... Seemingly though, he's got a load of greedy bastards that are putting their own gains before his needs.

To uproot your family at the age of 35 for what appears to be a few quid seems very odd to me. I'd be surprised if he chooses to move away.
Worse still I suspect at least one of the kids is already at school so it won't be a case of uprooting but leaving them for 6 months. Can't see Bunny doing that.

Worse still I suspect at least one of the kids is already at school so it won't be a case of uprooting but leaving them for 6 months. Can't see Bunny doing that.

Could always do what Gidman has been doing. Keep the family up here and commute for training/games/team activities.

I want Bunny to stay and hoped he would be offered another contract but assumed, given his age and injury problems, it would be for 1 year and if all went well it would roll on same as Collys. Expecting a 2 year deal is far too ambitious. As for playing white ball cricket his fielding is not up to the required level and he would have to be hidden, which isn't really on.

If say Kent signed him on a 2 year deal to play all formats I reckon they would be chucking money away.

I'm led to believe the issue is that we only want a deal for 4 day cricket, which is obviously financially worse

I think it's fair enough. He isn't playing white ball cricket

He won't wanna uproot his family but if he wants to for a better deal then no problem with him, good luck to him

Great guy

Maybe with all the goings, we could offer him a bit of white ball cricket? A few T20's should hurt his fitness and wellbeing too much, it's only 4 overs after all.

With Coughlin and Arshad going, the cupboard is becoming increasingly bare anyway bowler wise. We could need all the resources we can get!

I suspect he probably would be if he had decent advisors...... Seemingly though, he's got a load of greedy bastards that are putting their own gains before his needs.
His advisors are looking for the best deal for him, he wants a 2 year deal, Durham are offering a 1 year deal, how is that putting their own gains before his needs?

His advisors are looking for the best deal for him, he wants a 2 year deal, Durham are offering a 1 year deal, how is that putting their own gains before his needs?

Because it's likely the one year deal will include an option of more if he performs - a la Collingwood's recent deals. I'd imagine Durham are thinking how best to use Bunny to guarantee his body holds up - which is why they're only looking at four day cricket.

Whereas his advisors will be looking for the biggest payday - which is likely a bigger contract and possibly a move elsewhere.

That's always been the problem with agents everywhere, I would go as far as to say they don't care about his health as such. They likely see this as one last big pay day. It happens in every sport when a player gets to this stage of their career.

Because it's likely the one year deal will include an option of more if he performs - a la Collingwood's recent deals. I'd imagine Durham are thinking how best to use Bunny to guarantee his body holds up - which is why they're only looking at four day cricket.

Whereas his advisors will be looking for the biggest payday - which is likely a bigger contract and possibly a move elsewhere.

That's always been the problem with agents everywhere, I would go as far as to say they don't care about his health as such. They likely see this as one last big pay day. It happens in every sport when a player gets to this stage of their career.

Now given his agent is also a good mate of his, I'm pretty confident he is looking for the best deal which aligns to Onions wishes, the detail of what that is will probably come out at a later date but I certainly wouldn't expect any deal to be done because his agent gets a couple of extra quid.

The facts remain though, if Durham had offered him a contract that met his own valuation he would have signed weeks ago, they didn't, so is looking at other options whatever they maybe.

There is an easy answer here to secure his services for years to come. Offer the player with the most wickets for Durham CCC a player coach role with the club.
His experience and skills could be passed on to our future Players instead of being lost.
Is this just too easy a suggestion???

Reactions: Bri
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back