Onions,new contract. yes or no

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobody on here is going to say no. [except now deliberatly to spite me]

but nobody would have said no to signing top players back when we ended up with a bloated squad and ended up in financial difficulty partially as a result of that - although obviously ground devlopment and the cost of hosting internationals was a far bigger drain on resources.

assuming it is financially viable yes of course we should, if it came at a cost of releasing arshad & a.nother for example then it is a tougher question.

Nobody on here is going to say no. [except now deliberatly to spite me]

but nobody would have said no to signing top players back when we ended up with a bloated squad and ended up in financial difficulty partially as a result of that - although obviously ground devlopment and the cost of hosting internationals was a far bigger drain on resources.

assuming it is financially viable yes of course we should, if it came at a cost of releasing arshad & a.nother for example then it is a tougher question.
Agree with a lot you say there spot on.

A 2 year CC contract but at a realistic price for a 35 year old. Whatever that is, agreeable for both sides. I suppose Bunny has to look at what is on offer and think of the alternatives, upheaval of family etc if he goes elsewhere. Personally, if it meant releasing 1 or 2 of the fringe bowlers, based on what I've seen in the last 2 games, it's worth it. He may even play for 3 or 4 years and contribute enough.

Sensible compromise is to give him a 1 year contract payable over 2 years. In that way he minimises the amount deducted at 40% tax rate.

He's still (one of) our best new ball bowler(s).

Plus in a year where our change bowlers really haven't excelled, or even done any sort of job*, I think we need to keep hold of him. It's quite clear he'll be capable of steaming in next year - with a strong possibility he can do it in 2019 too.

*Potts is exempt from that because he's been a fantastic find, I'm talking more about the lads who should be kicking on now - Coughlin, McCarthy, Weighell, Arshad, Carse, etc. Granted injuries play their part.

Last edited:
If we look long term, to Ireland's progression to test status, we could release Poynter and McCarthy. They'll be needed in their FC structure and although they would both be a big loss to DCCC for 2018, inevitably they'll be away in 2019. Releases funds to pay for Bunny's new contract.

He's still (one of) our best new ball bowler(s).

Plus in a year where our change bowlers really haven't excelled, or even done any sort of job*, I think we need to keep hold of him. It's quite clear he'll be capable of steaming in next year - with a strong possibility he can do it in 2019 too.

*Potts is exempt from that because he's been a fantastic find, I'm talking more about the lads who should be kicking on now - Coughlin, McCarthy, Weighell, Arshad, Carse, etc. Granted injuries play their part.
McCarthy actually has ... he's got the best wickets/match ratio ... sadly he's only played 5 matches because of Ireland duty.

Yes we should offer him a contract but only for red ball cricket. We should also look to offer him a role as a bowling coach within the club.
He has shown his loyalty to DCCC by staying with us throughout his career. It is now time to pay him some loyalty back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back