Onions,new contract. yes or no

Status
Not open for further replies.

If we look long term, to Ireland's progression to test status, we could release Poynter and McCarthy. They'll be needed in their FC structure and although they would both be a big loss to DCCC for 2018, inevitably they'll be away in 2019. Releases funds to pay for Bunny's new contract.

Richardson has done nowt to nail down a spot since returning this season mind

Marty tweeted this
"According to @DurhamCricket Coach Jon Lewis an offer of a county championship contract has been made to Graham Onions via his agent."

:cool:

Reactions: Bri
Marty tweeted this
"According to @DurhamCricket Coach Jon Lewis an offer of a county championship contract has been made to Graham Onions via his agent."

:cool:
That sounds about right. Basically a contract to cover the cricket he has actually been playing for the last couple of seasons on reduced terms than his last contract.

Marty tweeting he has not been offered the 2 year deal he was looking for.. Guessing he might be off aswell.

I said no last week based on his age and could be holding some younger players back but seems Coughlin and Jennings can't be arsed with Durham, offer him the contract.

I might have said it before is Durham could sweeten the deal by offering him some coaching work. . . . given that he's thinking about life after retiring from playing.

Ambitious asking for a 2 year deal with his injury record.

Be a huge shame to lose him.

This sums my thoughts up too.

No idea what we've offered him but I imagine it'll only be a year.

The bit about Onions' team annoys the fuck out of me - agents didn't do Durham leavers much good in the recent past on a cricket basis - but no doubt some cünt is in his ear who is really only interested in lining his own pockets.

Off to Kent for a two year deal to play or be available in all formats so I have been told
We offered him one year deal for county games only

injury prone? apart from one, albeit very serious, injury he has barely missed a game for us.
Completed 6 games this season. He's had surgery on his back twice. He needs carefully managed-playing only 4 day cricket seems a sensible way to do that. Offer of a 1 year contract doesn't preclude been offered a further one next year.

that's a very good non-denial denial.
It's an admission that they 've got to be very prudent with salary offers.

Last edited:
Completed 6 games this season. He's had surgery on his back twice. He needs carefully managed-playing only 4 day cricket seems a sensible way to do that. Offer of a 1 year contract doesn't preclude been offered a further one next year.

didn't realise he'd played so few for us this year to be honest.

i guess we'll never know as far as management goes, i think he'd have liked to play more white ball stuff for us but we won't know how his body will have responded to it.

i don't disagree with your broad point btw

If Kent are operating on a very limited budget are they likely to give an injury prone 35 year old a 2year contract.
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/sport/walker-plays-down-onions-link-132376/

Christ, has he eaten a few cricketers since he wrapped in playing?!

It's an admission that they 've got to be very prudent with salary offers.

Makes perfect sense. I'm sure if we did only offer Bunny a year, its with the promise that if he plays well and stays fit, we'll offer him another. Seems to have suited Colly fine for long enough.

didn't realise he'd played so few for us this year to be honest.

i guess we'll never know as far as management goes, i think he'd have liked to play more white ball stuff for us but we won't know how his body will have responded to it.

i don't disagree with your broad point btw
Most counties rest their leading red ball seamers from white ball cricket so Bunny's no different in that respect. He should realise that the best way to prolong his career is to limit it to white ball cricket. Nowadays that means 6 weeks playing, 6 weeks off and then a further 6 weeks playing. So long as he maintains his form a rolling contract should be agreed. Why can't he be happy with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back