O'Nein - Dobson - McGeough in Midfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exactly fellas.

I think that is a formation which has potential, but JR doesn't want to experiment with it for some reason. He's tried loads. The so called jigsaw puzzle might just be capable of being assembled if he studied the pieces he has in the bloody box. Grrrrr
Rather power than mcgeoch. Then it would be the 3 most mobile midfielders
Don't disagree, but McGeough does add a neat steady passing string to the team. Power has goals in him but for me a great option, with say Embleton, in the second half.

Last edited:
Is that a 4-3-3 you suggest with Gooch dropped?
Until we are tracking at less than 2 points per game, I’d stick with 4-4-2.
In midfield I think our 2 DMs are Leadbitter and McGeouch. I think our 2 AMs are Dobson and Power. To be honest, I think it’s any one from two in both pairings. At a push we have Onien and Embleton as support.
I think my only worry is that with 442 we are hoping that McGeady and Gooch stay fit. Maguire is less effective out wide and we simply don’t have any other cover on the wing. Onien could do it as could Embleton but they would be no where near my 1st choice.

Is that a 4-3-3 you suggest with Gooch dropped?
Until we are tracking at less than 2 points per game, I’d stick with 4-4-2.
In midfield I think our 2 DMs are Leadbitter and McGeouch. I think our 2 AMs are Dobson and Power. To be honest, I think it’s any one from two in both pairings. At a push we have Onien and Embleton as support.
I think my only worry is that with 442 we are hoping that McGeady and Gooch stay fit. Maguire is less effective out wide and we simply don’t have any other cover on the wing. Onien could do it as could Embleton but they would be no where near my 1st choice.
But having tried variations of that theme for a season and a bit doesn't the evidence indicate we need to be a LOT more direct, then shut up shop ? We have many options in midfield and we must try and unlock the magic formula. So I would support a change of plan, yesterday's plodding was painful. But as finishers, we have the personnel. So, it's just surely a case of looking for the right blend. Hey, no two blokes in a pub will agree on owt, so we've got nee chance on here :p
Dobson was man of the match for me yesterday. However he was getting played almost like a third centre back at times. We were 3-1 up against Accrington and people wonder why folk are frustrated with Ross.
100 %

Last edited:
Gooch is a few goals in, gives us pace and grafting hard to be fair to him. He probably needs a bit of wisdom so he makes better choices with the ball but as it stands I think he’s earned a place ahead of O9
i like Gooch....have always defended him...he's frustrating but does create / score. His loyalty to the club is profound. So I'm not against this at all, just frustrated at the lack of pace/creativity/imposing/in your face type of play we should be capable of delivering. If Gooch or O'Nein can close down, harry the opposition & burst out quickly, that's a tick from me.

Point is - the formula is not right, so try these combinations until we turn a team or two over properly imo.
McGeough and creativity - do not belong together.
I think he's a good footballer and has vision and skill. Maybe he's not getting the run of games or partners he needs to demonstrate that. opinions

Last edited:
It’s probably what I’d do. Been saying for years that 4-2-3-1 is a formation for lazy wankers.
Agree Just need to use our assets in a better way. Surely they’re not all crap
Or we resign Summerbee and Johnstone and go down the wings. Happy days.

Last edited:
With Maguire - Mcnulty - Mcgeady up top

Creativity and eagerness is the issue, so is this the answer ?

Nah.

09 hasn't shown anything to suggest he deserves to start in midfield. He's been below average at best at RB these last few appearances. Don't get me wrong, I love the lad's attitude but no way in hell should he be starting in the middle and certainly not taking Gooch's place in the team.

With Maguire - Mcnulty - Mcgeady up top

Creativity and eagerness is the issue, so is this the answer ?
No.
Nah.

09 hasn't shown anything to suggest he deserves to start in midfield. He's been below average at best at RB these last few appearances. Don't get me wrong, I love the lad's attitude but no way in hell should he be starting in the middle and certainly not taking Gooch's place in the team.
He's awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back