One for the oldies here some great pics of Brian clough

Me late fatha was at that match. Bone hard ground obvious serious injury at the time. Everybody distraught for him. SKP was the only player like him before or sense me Dad always said.
Me late fatha was at that match. Bone hard ground obvious serious injury at the time. Everybody distraught for him. SKP was the only player like him before or sense me Dad always said.
*since

Last edited:

Quinnyn came back from the same injury

Cloughy only played one game in the first division

Strangely enough v dirty Leeds his nemesis that game proved he was finished

Great photos. The team photo with Cloughie with a pipe. How may of them can you recognise?_ I got the first team incl Stan Anderson and Ambrose Fogarty. I thought at first the lad next to Monty was Dereck(?) Forster until I got my reading glasses. Dickie Rook was there which might be an unfamiliar name for many. A very young looking Brian Usher too. Don't recognise the lad between Cloughie and McNab- anyone? and a lot of the back row.
This takes me back. I was 12 when Cloughie got injured and had been told that day I wasn't to go to the match but instead I was to go to my Nans in Hebburn for Boxing Day tea. You didn't argue back then but I'd already caught the bug regular attending. When I saw the photos of him injured later ,kid that I was, I felt it was my fault cause he's looking directly where I always used to stand. I thought, 'Cloughies obviously twigged I'm not at the match, thought to himself 'Thats odd' mistimed his challenge as a result and suffered a serious injury.
Think that is what's called magical thinking now. But the guilt followed me around for awhile.

Great photos. The team photo with Cloughie with a pipe. How may of them can you recognise?_ I got the first team incl Stan Anderson and Ambrose Fogarty. I thought at first the lad next to Monty was Dereck(?) Forster until I got my reading glasses. Dickie Rook was there which might be an unfamiliar name for many. A very young looking Brian Usher too. Don't recognise the lad between Cloughie and McNab- anyone? and a lot of the back row.
This takes me back. I was 12 when Cloughie got injured and had been told that day I wasn't to go to the match but instead I was to go to my Nans in Hebburn for Boxing Day tea. You didn't argue back then but I'd already caught the bug regular attending. When I saw the photos of him injured later ,kid that I was, I felt it was my fault cause he's looking directly where I always used to stand. I thought, 'Cloughies obviously twigged I'm not at the match, thought to himself 'Thats odd' mistimed his challenge as a result and suffered a serious injury.
Think that is what's called magical thinking now. But the guilt followed me around for awhile.
The one between Cloughy and McNab has me stumped as well! I think Mel Slack and John O'Hare are also in the back row, and Colin Nelson Andy Kerr and Willie Mcpheat in the middle row are three more perhaps less recognisable faces.

The one between Cloughy and McNab has me stumped as well! I think Mel Slack and John O'Hare are also in the back row, and Colin Nelson Andy Kerr and Willie Mcpheat in the middle row are three more perhaps less recognisable faces.
Well done. Gosh I didn't recognise John O'Hare though I have very many memories of him playing. I remember him getting to be a focus of the boo boys in the Clock Stand and of course then went on to have a very successful career. Taught me a lesson that it can be hard for young players tohave their potential recognised. Wasn't Colin Nelson actually an amateur most of the time he played, a pharmicist if I recall correctly? Then Andy Kerr who had a decent run of games at one point but who could step into Hurleys boots at that time?

Well done. Gosh I didn't recognise John O'Hare though I have very many memories of him playing. I remember him getting to be a focus of the boo boys in the Clock Stand and of course then went on to have a very successful career. Taught me a lesson that it can be hard for young players tohave their potential recognised. Wasn't Colin Nelson actually an amateur most of the time he played, a pharmicist if I recall correctly? Then Andy Kerr who had a decent run of games at one point but who could step into Hurleys boots at that time?
Do you remember that game against Benfica, 63-64, season when O'Hare first came to people's notice? We won 5-3 against a strong Benfica team that contained Eusebio, Coluna, and Simoes.

Yup I do. But my strongest memory of him is chipping a goalie defending the Roker End goal O Harewith his back to the clockstand from some unbelievable distance. I didn't register Eusobio playing though in the 5-3 but in the 66 World cup that was a different story. Goodness and another night match tonight. Jumpers for goalposts, Hot Bovril, memories, haway Cloughie.

Yup I do. But my strongest memory of him is chipping a goalie defending the Roker End goal O Harewith his back to the clockstand from some unbelievable distance. I didn't register Eusobio playing though in the 5-3 but in the 66 World cup that was a different story. Goodness and another night match tonight. Jumpers for goalposts, Hot Bovril, memories, haway Cloughie.
Good to share some memories with someone who appreciates/remembers. Let's hope we come away with some good ones tonight!

Back