One for the oldies here some great pics of Brian clough

Again, it makes you wonder how many goals he would have scored for us, and where it would have taken us.
And where might we have been had we allowed him to "crawl over broken glass" to become our manager.
Probably where we are now and Cloughie would be just another failed manager. I bet Shankly was glad we never offered him the job either.

Aye Cloughie never forgave him for accusing him of acting injured, 'codding' I believe was the term used which was a new one on me.
Bob said that he met Cloughie several times over the years and always apologised and offered his hand but Clough would have none of it. Bob was so well known for being such a decent man its hard to think why Clough believed that Bob wasn't being absolutely sincerer about something that happened in the heat of the moment years before.

Ironic to think that both of them are to this day great Sunderland heroes and both of them despised that man Don Revie (another former SAFC player by the way) with a vengeance

Again, it makes you wonder how many goals he would have scored for us, and where it would have taken us.
And where might we have been had we allowed him to "crawl over broken glass" to become our manager.

Really doesnt bear thinking about

Takes me back to days spent outside Roker Park getting autographs from players as they arrived before training. Always tried to get Cloughy's, but he was an awkward so-and-so and rarely stopped to give them...certainly not for me!
Still worshipped him though, and as I've said so many times before, the best out and out goalscorer I've ever seen.

I think if said it before but my dear old dad said cloughie and Jimmy Greaves were the best strikers he had ever seen.both hero's of his

I think if said it before but my dear old dad said cloughie and Jimmy Greaves were the best strikers he had ever seen.both hero's of his

Thing was greavsy did it in the 1st division Cloughy in the 2nd
I read somewhere that Stokoe told him to get up, claiming he was play acting. This led to a life long dislike of each other

CloughY could hold a grudge look at the daft falling out he had with Peter Taylor for signing John Robertson for having the audacity of not telling Cloughy first

Last edited:

Back