Old photos of Sunderland

November 1976.
He was appearing in the pantomime’Snow White’. His co-star from the Carry On films, Sid James, famously died on stage at the same theatre earlier that year.

Hollywood comes to Roker Park. I wonder how they ended up watching the Lads. I checked Statcat, and the match was possibly against Chelsea. I’d never heard of either of them previously, but apparently it was Ben Lyon who discovered a young actress called Norma Jean Dougherty, and changed her name to Marilyn Monroe.

They do look very glamorous, I wonder what the backstory was how did they end up in Sunderland watching football? ⚽🤔

I wonder does @harryCLSsafc dad know? 🤞

They do look very glamorous, I wonder what the backstory was how did they end up in Sunderland watching football? ⚽🤔

They might have been in town to attend a red carpet night at a cinema up Holmside like!
I like the following from his Wiki page; ''In 1925, a writer for Photoplay wrote of him, "Girls, Ben Lyon looks harmless but we have reliable information that he's irresistible, so watch your step. Besides he's a mighty fine actor and if the ladies must fall in love with him he can't help it." Even I'm looking at him and thinking, ''he does have something about him like'!''.😍

I've checked the Wiki page of Bebe Daniels, and apparently they spent a lot of years on and off, living in London. Perhaps they were guests of the Chelsea directors, as they appear to have been the most likely opposition around the date that the photo was taken.

Last edited by a moderator:
They might have been in town to attend a red carpet night at a cinema up Holmside like!
I like the following from his Wiki page; ''In 1925, a writer for Photoplay wrote of him, "Girls, Ben Lyon looks harmless but we have reliable information that he's irresistible, so watch your step. Besides he's a mighty fine actor and if the ladies must fall in love with him he can't help it." Even I'm looking at him and thinking, ''he does have something about him like'!''.😍

I've checked the Wiki page of Bebe Daniels, and apparently they spent a lot of years on and off, living in London. Perhaps they were guests of the Chelsea directors, as they appear to have been the most likely opposition around the date that the photo was taken.

It’s so interesting 👍

Last edited:
Are you using a pro/ paid for version of Google earth? It’s a very good technique to see both old and new.

I got my invitation approved for Google earth studio. Have t really used it yet. I want it to mainly make animations that go from place to place but I'm not quite sure it's what I want

Are you using a pro/ paid for version of Google earth? It’s a very good technique to see both old and new.
I just use Google Maps in a browser as you click on the Layers option then scroll down and select Globe View and deselect labels to get them out the way. You then click on the 3D button in the bottom right. Find the best matching angle view, screenshot and hoy both into Photoshop and match layers to make 2 images. Then hoy them into ezgif website and choose the crossfade option. Surprised that it doesn't take that long to do but it's interesting to see how it changes.

Google Earth is now free as I also have that installed but the browser is simple and quick enough. I was going to look at that colourful high quality Roker Park image next that also shows the beach etc once I find it 🙃

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
I got my invitation approved for Google earth studio. Have t really used it yet. I want it to mainly make animations that go from place to place but I'm not quite sure it's what I want

I’ve not used Google earth app for a few years. There was a function in the free version which allowed you to upload a .gpx file and it would animate the route as a fly-by. Quite cool.

Another one with Roker Park

I'm not sure if this was the colourful image of Roker Park I was thinking of but I did it anyway

As an aside, are you aware of the National Library of Scotland (NLS) side-by-side online mapping service?

It provides an overlay of two OS maps of varying ages (of your choice) and a slider to fade between the two. Very good for seeing what used to be in a location compared to now.

As an aside, are you aware of the National Library of Scotland (NLS) side-by-side online mapping service?

It provides an overlay of two OS maps of varying ages (of your choice) and a slider to fade between the two. Very good for seeing what used to be in a location compared to now.

Aye used something similar in the past, not sure if it was earlier in this thread or an older thread.

It's crap how places you knew as a kid have changed so much now but you can't hardly remember owt and you get to see the odd old photo of something that reminds you a little. Whereas these days, Google is recording everything and in time older people can go back to their youth to see what places used to be like.

I love this. Big Bertha on Clarks Farm in Grangetown. Big Bertha is the gun, not the woman's nickname 😄

Just been reading that an anti aircraft battery was also on the field that is now the garden nursery. I had no idea.

The concrete building from the army barracks were still there into the sixties.
We used to play on them.

Didn't they find a pop up anti aircraft gun emplacement complete with gun still in place at Usworth Airport in the early 80's? It was left over from WWII and everyone forgot it was there because it was underground.

Back