Old photos of Sunderland

I was interested to see it as a comparison to how the site looks now with the ski slope and Sainsburys..makes you realise how big the pit must have been.
The Parkrun must have been interesting back then!
It must have been a massive clean up when Silksworth Colliery closed. I know that they must have used some of the colliery waste for the ski slope, but where did the rest go to? I didn't realise that the colliery only closed in 1971.

I'm only familiar with how it looks today as the Silksworth Sports Complex, and even though I knew it was once a colliery site, I had no idea it looked like that. To think that years later, David Beckham would play on that very site, as part of the Man United youth team. It does look grim, but it's still a cracking picture.

My sister used to live in the high rise flats at Farringdon and I have very vague memories of being able to see the pit lit up at night. It's surprising how few photos seem to exist of places like this.

A young lad keeps an eye on the deck chairs in 1976 during the pre climate change heatwave.

https://pin.it/3p8GBFU
The summer of 76, I remember it well. The six weeks school holidays were amazing, with glorious sunshine everyday. Up every morning, watch the Banana Splits show, and then out playing all day until it got dark. It’s strange to think that at the time, the scientists were warning us that an ice age was looming. Then along came that summer with it’s record temperatures, and then later global warming.

The summer of 76, I remember it well. The six weeks school holidays were amazing, with glorious sunshine everyday. Up every morning, watch the Banana Splits show, and then out playing all day until it got dark. It’s strange to think that at the time, the scientists were warning us that an ice age was looming. Then along came that summer with it’s record temperatures, and then later global warming.

Youtube appears to have buried the full video but this Short of Leonard Nimoy in 1978 gives you the gist of it.

Charles Hawtrey in front of the empire

Logon or register to see this image
November 1976.
He was appearing in the pantomime’Snow White’. His co-star from the Carry On films, Sid James, famously died on stage at the same theatre earlier that year.
Spotted in the crowd at a Sunderland football match are film stars Ben Lyon and Bebe Daniels.
21/03/1938
Hollywood comes to Roker Park. I wonder how they ended up watching the Lads. I checked Statcat, and the match was possibly against Chelsea. I’d never heard of either of them previously, but apparently it was Ben Lyon who discovered a young actress called Norma Jean Dougherty, and changed her name to Marilyn Monroe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers, that’s excellent that.
It's class that. Love to see more of them

Only thing I can't work out is that I thought the ski slope was put on the old slag heap, but the top of the ski ramp looks to be right in the middle of the colliery buildings. Was the heap put there after the pit was demolished?

Back