Old photos of Sunderland

I love this. Big Bertha on Clarks Farm in Grangetown. Big Bertha is the gun, not the woman's nickname 😄

Just been reading that an anti aircraft battery was also on the field that is now the garden nursery. I had no idea.

Logon or register to see this image
I never knew that lasses were manning the gun batteries. It’s incredible the contribution young lasses made to the war effort. I can’t imagine that there’d be many young lasses these days who’d be keen. They’d probably be too busy taking a zillion pouty lips selfies, before they got ‘the one’ deemed good enough for Instagram, to notice the German bombers going overhead!

I never knew that lasses were manning the gun batteries. It’s incredible the contribution young lasses made to the war effort. I can’t imagine that there’d be many young lasses these days who’d be keen. They’d probably be too busy taking a zillion pouty lips selfies, before they got ‘the one’ deemed good enough for Instagram, to notice the German bombers going overhead!

I read the other year that there was going to be a statue dedicated to the women of sunderland who contributed to the war. it's a great idea and I hope it happens

I read the other year that there was going to be a statue dedicated to the women of sunderland who contributed to the war. it's a great idea and I hope it happens
Absolutely agree. Their story needs to be told and their contribution recognised. I knew they worked in shipyards and armaments factories etc, but as I say, I never knew about the gun batteries. A statue would be a fitting tribute to all of those brave young lasses.

Absolutely agree. Their story needs to be told and their contribution recognised. I knew they worked in shipyards and armaments factories etc, but as I say, I never knew about the gun batteries. A statue would be a fitting tribute to all of those brave young lasses.

Found it. It's dedicated to the hundreds of women who kept the shipyards going while their brothers, dads and husbands were fighting in the war.

Found it. It's dedicated to the hundreds of women who kept the shipyards going while their brothers, dads and husbands were fighting in the war.

Winnifred the welder
But please think about it’s lication
That vaux dray beside the courts is in completely the wrong location
Should of been in the other side of the road

Nowadays, young women have the opportunity to pursue a career, become a sports woman, or even become a social media influencer, to flourish and quite rightly reach their full potential. I suppose that back in those days, it was difficult for a young woman to make anything of her life unless she was from a wealthy back ground. For most women in those days, their lives were very much mapped out, they’d go to school, get an education, learn cookery and needlework because they were the only skills they would need later. They’d leave school, work in a shop or an office for a few years, get married and raise a family. That was essentially the ‘blue print’ of their lives. Imagine being a young woman working in an office, and someone literally saying to you, ‘’you see those dainty little hands that you have, and those slender fingers that you type with’’, ‘’well we’ve got another use for them, you’re going to work in a shipyard and build ships with them instead’’. It must have taken some courage for them to come to terms with that, having followed the ‘blueprint’ of their lives, for it to be suddenly 'torn up', and be sent to work in the shipyards. It’s hard to imagine how they must have felt on their first days down there, with the noise, fumes and the danger. It was obviously in stark contrast to the clean, safe and quiet environment that they were used to, and nothing like anything they'd been expecting to do in their lives.
Brave lasses.

Back