***Official 2019 C2C Thread***

Just a general question about the C2C, how much of a challenge would it be to do it in two days? And, where would you break at the end of day 1?

I am looking to do it over the summer next year and was planning on starting very early on the west coast and ending the day with the climb from Stanhope to the Waskerly Way. It looks just shy of 100 miles, which is no problem for me with some training, but living down south, we tend to have soft, southern shandy drinking hills. A 2 mile 600 foot climb is the usual down here. I am a little concerned that I might be a bit knackered to complete the days ride and should maybe stop at Allendale, then restart the next morning. I will be on a road bike rather than a hybrid or mountain bike. Cheers.

Alston is about half eay - we don't kick off til 12ish so only get as far as Graystoke The last day we used to do Nenthead - Sunderland so that bits pretty easy.

Just a general question about the C2C, how much of a challenge would it be to do it in two days? And, where would you break at the end of day 1?

I am looking to do it over the summer next year and was planning on starting very early on the west coast and ending the day with the climb from Stanhope to the Waskerly Way. It looks just shy of 100 miles, which is no problem for me with some training, but living down south, we tend to have soft, southern shandy drinking hills. A 2 mile 600 foot climb is the usual down here. I am a little concerned that I might be a bit knackered to complete the days ride and should maybe stop at Allendale, then restart the next morning. I will be on a road bike rather than a hybrid or mountain bike. Cheers.
You’ve got your proportions a bit wrong I think. You want to stop much earlier than Allendale, and you also need to take into account where you can stay. Not a lot at the waskerley way, plus you can do that to Roker in about 3 hours. I would say the best place to stay is Nenthead. Traditionally, people seem to like staying in Penrith, but thats only about half an hour beyond our day 1 stop, and it means you still have the 4 of the 5 big climbs on day 2. At Nenthead you’ve done 3 of them on day 1.
Mind, saying that, I can’t imagine doing it in 2 days. We are normally spent by greystoke. The thought of the torturous ride to Hartside on top of that makes me shudder.

On a road bike..say Whitehaven to Sunderland about 125 miles....very doable in two leisurely days

You’ve got your proportions a bit wrong I think. You want to stop much earlier than Allendale, and you also need to take into account where you can stay. Not a lot at the waskerley way, plus you can do that to Roker in about 3 hours. I would say the best place to stay is Nenthead. Traditionally, people seem to like staying in Penrith, but thats only about half an hour beyond our day 1 stop, and it means you still have the 4 of the 5 big climbs on day 2. At Nenthead you’ve done 3 of them on day 1.
Mind, saying that, I can’t imagine doing it in 2 days. We are normally spent by greystoke. The thought of the torturous ride to Hartside on top of that makes me shudder.
Thanks for that Dave. As me Mam lives in Hexham, she’ll pick me up from the Waskerly Way as it’s where we scattered me Dad’s ashes.

On a road bike..say Whitehaven to Sunderland about 125 miles....very doable in two leisurely days
Day 1 should be very leisurely. I’ll be starting very early, so hoping to be 50 miles in by lunchtime. Then slow slogs up the climbs.

Thanks for that Dave. As me Mam lives in Hexham, she’ll pick me up from the Waskerly Way as it’s where we scattered me Dad’s ashes.

Day 1 should be very leisurely. I’ll be starting very early, so hoping to be 50 miles in by lunchtime. Then slow slogs up the climbs.

Can’t remember the way we did it...but fairly sure you will hit some climbs before 50 miles. Nothing too steep but earlier than that

While since done it mind

2 day normally stops somewhere in the Alston area.

Comfortablish day. Haven't done it for a while next year?

Last edited:

Dunno if it’s any help, but as a fat lad on an mtb my actual moving times this year were 4.5 hours Whitehaven to greystoke, 4.5 greystoke to Allenheads and 4 hours Allenheads to Roker.

Charity fundraiser, like? If it’s after 22nd I might be persuaded, although I guess I’d have to learn how to ride a bike again after half my life not riding one. :eek:

2 day normally stops somewhere in the Alston area.

Comfortablish day. Haven't done it for a while next year?

Maybe....having done it twice now with topper support I’d be loathe to do it any other way....and wouldn’t mind doing it in decent weather mind

Back