***Official 2019 C2C Thread***

Can’t remember the way we did it...but fairly sure you will hit some climbs before 50 miles. Nothing too steep but earlier than that

While since done it mind
“Nothing too steep” apart from the 2nd steepest climb in the ride at Whinlatter:lol:

It looks like this:

Day 1
Logon or register to see this image

Day 2

Day 3

Charity fundraiser, like? If it’s after 22nd I might be persuaded, although I guess I’d have to learn how to ride a bike again after half my life not riding one. :eek:
You can do it for charity if you like. Most of us don’t bother anymore cos it’s turned into a glorified pub crawl.

I'd imagine it's a lovely ride in the sun
Yes and no. It’s been glorious the last two years, but this leads to problems on the climbs for the more well upholstered among us. More weight requires more power which equals more work from your muscles, which generates more heat. You can’t sweat it out fast enough and you have to drink shit loads.
I emptied my camelbak on hartside 2 years ago, and by the night time everyone was too wiped out to party.

Last edited:

Wear suncream and drink water every time you get to the van. (a couple pints at the pubs will take the pain out your legs, but have a coke too if its hot)

“Nothing too steep” apart from the 2nd steepest climb in the ride at Whinlatter:lol:

It looks like this:

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

You can do it for charity if you like. Most of us don’t bother anymore cos it’s turned into a glorified pub crawl.

Yes and no. It’s been glorious the last two years, but this leads to problems on the climbs for the more well upholstered among us. More weight requires more power which equals more work from your muscles, which generates more heat. You can’t sweat it out fast enough and you have to drink shit loads.
I emptied my camelbak on hartside 2 years ago, and by the night time everyone was too wiped out to party.
Was your speed in km/h?

It looks like this:

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

All relative....Not that long or steep..or certainly on a road bike.

Far harder climbs in the UK never mind abroad

Just my opinion of course

Wear suncream and drink water every time you get to the van. (a couple pints at the pubs will take the pain out your legs, but have a coke too if its hot)

Was your speed in km/h?
What are you trying to imply?

All relative....Not that long or steep..or certainly on a road bike.

Far harder climbs in the UK never mind abroad

Just my opinion of course

But you’re a proper cyclist. To your average C2c punter it’s a killer. Plus I dunno what roads you ride if you think it’s not steep. Granted, it s not as bad since they changed the route, but that first bit is almost as steep as the first bit of garagill, which is the steepest road ive ever seen. If you stop you can’t get back on without pulling a wheelie :lol:

Also, why is climbing easier on a road bike? Apart from the weight and drag? Surely MTB has lower gearing for that very reason? On most of the C2c climbs I’m down the bottom of the granny and spinning at about 3mph. I wouldn’t have the legs to push a bigger gear .

Last edited:

But you’re a proper cyclist. To your average C2c punter it’s a killer. Plus I dunno what roads you ride if you think it’s not steep. Granted, it s not as bad since they changed the route, but that first bit is almost as steep as the first bit of garagill, which is the steepest road ive ever seen. If you stop you can’t get back on without pulling a wheelie :lol:

Also, why is climbing easier on a road bike? Apart from the weight and drag? Surely MTB has lower gearing for that very reason? On most of the C2c climbs I’m down the bottom of the granny and spinning at about 3mph. I wouldn’t have the legs to push a bigger gear .
That if its MPH I'm canny impressed

Maybe....having done it twice now with topper support I’d be loathe to do it any other way....and wouldn’t mind doing it in decent weather mind
Yes I think if I did it again it would be a lot later in the year.

Owt over 20 on a mountain bike
I got just under 40 on mine yesterday, carrying about an extra stone of continental beer and food helped as @dave mentioned.

It looks like this:

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Riding in extreme heat is a lot easier on a roadie than an MTB the better speeds tend to keep you cooler. IMO

Last edited:

The poster asking was on about a road bike I think...been on the ale so could be mistaken.
Looked back at Strava and the road Segment on internet links and suggested av gradient ( road bike of 4 ish %) which is not that bad tbh

Not many long climbs locally but the ones I do that spring to mind are Buttons Bank, Peth and a few round Cornsay way...very short but with 15% + stretches.
On C2C even allowing for further into ride, I think Crawleyside is harder than Winlatter.

As for differ3nce between climbing on road or MTB I’m not sure...always been a roadie, guess lighter bike set off by generally bigger gears ...dunno really

Could do with shedding a bit timber myself mind :eek:

The poster asking was on about a road bike I think...been on the ale so could be mistaken.
Looked back at Strava and the road Segment on internet links and suggested av gradient ( road bike of 4 ish %) which is not that bad tbh

Not many long climbs locally but the ones I do that spring to mind are Buttons Bank, Peth and a few round Cornsay way...very short but with 15% + stretches.
On C2C even allowing for further into ride, I think Crawleyside is harder than Winlatter.

As for differ3nce between climbing on road or MTB I’m not sure...always been a roadie, guess lighter bike set off by generally bigger gears ...dunno really

Could do with shedding a bit timber myself mind :eek:
Me and the bike are over 20 clem like. That’s a lot of calories just to get over a speed bump.

Done the C2C unassisted twice in three days on a 29 HT MTB. Want to do it in 2 days next year but my mate is a bit of plodder. I figure Renwick just before hartside would be a good stopping point day1. It's all kind of over once you get to Parkhead so to speak ... at least it's downhill anyway.

I'm in the fat dad category but getting better ... I think.

Also want to do the W2W ... not sure if it's harder than C2C but think it would be a 3 day job first time.

Anyone done W2W?

Aye. I reckon it's about the same as the C2C but the lads who did it a few years back thought it was harder. I did find the last day tough but that was probably because I'd been drinking until about 6 in the morning.

Done the C2C unassisted twice in three days on a 29 HT MTB. Want to do it in 2 days next year but my mate is a bit of plodder. I figure Renwick just before hartside would be a good stopping point day1. It's all kind of over once you get to Parkhead so to speak ... at least it's downhill anyway.

Also want to do the W2W ... not sure if it's harder than C2C but think it would be a 3 day job first time.

Anyone done W2W?
It’s awful. Don’t bother.

Anyone done W2W?
W2w is harder, a wee bit longer and less picturesque than the first part of the c2c. The stop off at tan hill was canny mind. Worth doing as an alternate if you haven't been on the route before, but now I've done both, I'd pick c2c as the better option.

Awful as in hard or awful as in a ride round Southwick?

There's a variation on the C2C ... wiggos way ... looks interesting.
The scenery is way worse than the C2c. Day 1 has 1 climb and is otherwise flat; day 2 seemed to be endless little steep climbs and we got lost; day 3 we spent most of the day lost in Durham housing estates.

What are we looking like for numbers?
25 or so. If anyone else is interested they need to tell me now or they are going to miss out. There won’t be loads of spare beds this year unless people drop out.

Last edited:

Back