NUFC thread 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some of you are a very strange lot. Note I wrote some, I'm not tarring you all with the same brush, like some of you lot do.

Is it really that outrageous to question Newcastle's ambitions when a significant event happens, such as Leicester winning the FA cup?

In the 50+ years since we last bothered a trophy engraver a whole host of clubs have won something, even you lot, some of them operating on significantly smaller budgets. It's only reasonable to ask the question why we seem to be incapable of doing the same. For our size we are far and away the most consistent underachievers in the league.

I'm sure some of you might question that claim given your current predicament. If we are going to follow the advice that some of you imply then not only should Newcastle fans just accept that a life of perpetual battles against relegation is what we somehow deserve, then you lot should just accept that you will spend your time hovering around the upper reaches of the third division.

Or you can use the examples of others as a catalyst for change.

Some of you are a very strange lot. Note I wrote some, I'm not tarring you all with the same brush, like some of you lot do.

Is it really that outrageous to question Newcastle's ambitions when a significant event happens, such as Leicester winning the FA cup?

In the 50+ years since we last bothered a trophy engraver a whole host of clubs have won something, even you lot, some of them operating on significantly smaller budgets. It's only reasonable to ask the question why we seem to be incapable of doing the same. For our size we are far and away the most consistent underachievers in the league.

I'm sure some of you might question that claim given your current predicament. If we are going to follow the advice that some of you imply then not only should Newcastle fans just accept that a life of perpetual battles against relegation is what we somehow deserve, then you lot should just accept that you will spend your time hovering around the upper reaches of the third division.

Newcastle fans delusions of grandeur far outweigh our expectations, I think we are reasonable to think we are better than the upper reaches of League One (though we’re there so🤷‍♂️) I personally think it will be a long time before NUFC are anywhere near the upper echelons of the Premier League a goal that many of your fans think you’re entitled to.

Newcastle fans delusions of grandeur far outweigh our expectations, I think we are reasonable to think we are better than the upper reaches of League One (though we’re there so🤷‍♂️) I personally think it will be a long time before NUFC are anywhere near the upper echelons of the Premier League a goal that many of your fans think you’re entitled to.
This

Stopped reading at "even you lot"
Who the fuck do you think yous are like?

he wants the 100 odd million the club owe him
Right, never disputed that, and he purchased the club for about £130m. He's asking £300-340m.
That he's loaned them interest free for the entire time he's been there. And it's been way more than that over the years too, to cover the cost of things like rafa and shearer relegating them.
No, we've incurred those costs as a club.
That is total rubbish. The price, according to a well known model, is c350m. I understand the Saudi price was 300m against the backdrop of an uncertain tv deal and no fans. Now the tv deal has been rolled over and fans are allowed back 300m is cheap.
Burnley went for £200m.

Last edited by a moderator:
But you're a massive klerb, how much do you think you're worth?
It's hard to say but likely around that £2-250m mark. We have a greater resonance than Burnley due to the 90s and things like Goal and Alan Shearer, but £300m for a club that's been relegation threatened for over 10 years isn't feasible. We also have incredibly poor facilities. You can talk about the intangibles like 'size' but these buyers look at cost of upgrade too. If you wanted to get us to the level of most clubs off the pitch you're spending a few hundred million.

Newcastle have the 10th highest income:

And the 6th highest support by attendance(should be a factor again next season):

Therefore top half is par. These just above relegation finishes were ok when first coming up but not once established. Lower bottom half is below realistic ambition.

why havent spurs, everton, villa won the league? its because you havent spent any money on players iirc
That isn't right IMO as we stuck out a bit going from £373.2M to £1.012BN but Coventry even more. They have Coventry down as spending £51.2M yet it would be £446.5M today.

Even if they spent that in 1992 (they were in PL for 9 seasons), the inflation calculator has it down as £108.4M from 1992 to 2020. I guess they're using something else to work it out as it certainly isn't today's money compared to 1992's money.

Well if the club owe him 140 mill then that's correct
The issue I have with this theory is that some of our debt is because of his actions. I could make the argument he didn't examine the books so any debt he inherited is his issue, but the club clearly needed the money so happy to satisfy that. He's then added another 30-40m on there due to relegations suffered through his bad decisions.

I hear a lot on here about how we should thank St Michael for putting his money into the club to get us up. He has loaned us that money, and the only reason he's done so in the first place is because it's in his best interest financially for us to be a Premier League club. We get more money, he gets more brand exposure. He can't be thanked for putting money in if he's also then going to take it out in a sale. As for interest, sure, he could charge interest, but it's already an unrealistic price at £300-350m so why make that fact even more ridiculous?

Ashley not only wants the money he put in at first (fine) he also wants someone to pay for his mistakes and present him a profit of between £60-100m. For what? We're not in a better position since he took over. Nothing has improved from an infrastructure set up. The ground looks like shit, the training ground is bordering on League One level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Entirely reasonable to think a club of NUFC size would win something real in the last 66 years, I wonder how many clubs that have spent that time around the upper end of the game have zero output. It's not delusional nor unrealistic when you look at it long term.

That is entirely different to thinking that a top 20 club should be in the Champions League and winning 'something' every season that passes with outrage every season of 'failure' including the bizarre idea that a decent home crowd somehow 'merits' a trophy.

Entirely reasonable to think a club of NUFC size would win something real in the last 66 years, I wonder how many clubs that have spent that time around the upper end of the game have zero output. It's not delusional nor unrealistic when you look at it long term.

That is entirely different to thinking that a top 20 club should be in the Champions League and winning 'something' every season that passes with outrage every season of 'failure' including the bizarre idea that a decent home crowd somehow 'merits' a trophy.
I don't think you "get it" mate.

I don't either 🤔🤔

I don't even know what I don't get.

If you "get it" can you explain it to me?

Last edited:
It's hard to say but likely around that £2-250m mark. We have a greater resonance than Burnley due to the 90s and things like Goal and Alan Shearer, but £300m for a club that's been relegation threatened for over 10 years isn't feasible. We also have incredibly poor facilities. You can talk about the intangibles like 'size' but these buyers look at cost of upgrade too. If you wanted to get us to the level of most clubs off the pitch you're spending a few hundred million.
Goal! It’s bad enough citing the 90s and Shearer but Goal? I’m off for a sustained bout of uncontrollable laughter.

Goal! It’s bad enough citing the 90s and Shearer but Goal? I’m off for a sustained bout of uncontrollable laughter.
Look, it surprises me, but the number of Americans (mostly males) I speak to who know where I'm from or the team I support because of that film is undeniable. If you're into football chances are that's how you know us, not from Shearer or the 90s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back