NUFC thread 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I agree, however that's not what will happen hence I will reserve my celebrations.

That may be the case but that doesn't mean we can't all hope and want better.
The point I'm trying to make @Sabre Mag is a large majority of your support (I.e. 1992ers) fully expect after the Keegan years (which almost bankrupted you) to be dining at the top table. The obsession with Rafa, (who won things at other clubs) is bizzare as he relegated you and wanted to take you back down the big spending route. Ashley runs you extremely well. You're natural place, as is ours, is mid table PL and a pop at the Cups.

The way some of your lot gan on as if you've been a European Super Power and that's how you should be viewd is ridiculous. You've won nowt of note for nearly 70 years so again it's a bizzare view. We would love to be where you are and are an example of how quickly things can go tits up. Twitter Mags are hilarious.

I don't think for 1 minute Ashley is a willing seller. Why take £300M when he can get that back in 3 years by doing zilch?

Yes I'd love to see us win the PL and Leicester have proved it can be done. I was 5 when we won the Cup in '73 and have been there for lost Cup Finals since. If you asked supporters of I'm guessing any other club how they saw NUFC fans likely everyone of them would say "good day out, deluded support". So I'm not saying don't wish for better, I'm saying aim for triumphs in the Cups and a comfortable league placing.

The point I'm trying to make @Sabre Mag is a large majority of your support (I.e. 1992ers) fully expect after the Keegan years (which almost bankrupted you) to be dining at the top table. The obsession with Rafa, (who won things at other clubs) is bizzare as he relegated you and wanted to take you back down the big spending route. Ashley runs you extremely well. You're natural place, as is ours, is mid table PL and a pop at the Cups.

The way some of your lot gan on as if you've been a European Super Power and that's how you should be viewd is ridiculous. You've won nowt of note for nearly 70 years so again it's a bizzare view. We would love to be where you are and are an example of how quickly things can go tits up. Twitter Mags are hilarious.

I don't think for 1 minute Ashley is a willing seller. Why take £300M when he can get that back in 3 years by doing zilch?

Yes I'd love to see us win the PL and Leicester have proved it can be done. I was 5 when we won the Cup in '73 and have been there for lost Cup Finals since. If you asked supporters of I'm guessing any other club how they saw NUFC fans likely everyone of them would say "good day out, deluded support". So I'm not saying don't wish for better, I'm saying aim for triumphs in the Cups and a comfortable league placing.
I don't do twitter so miss lots of the nonsense on there, but the lads I go with, Rafa isn't talked about anymore, we don't expect to win anything etc. I agree re Ashley, he has no need to sell. One day he will but its his club and he has the right to wait for a price he sees fit. Simple as. I can only say the fans I know and spend time with are far from deluded, and it's certainly not delusion (as you say) to want and hope for better.

I don't think fans of any club should accept this "natural position" nonsense that's being talked of. I would never dream of saying Sunderland fans should accept where you are. You absolutely shouldn't. And I don't think we should celebrate survival, because its not an achievement in my eyes.

I don't do twitter so miss lots of the nonsense on there, but the lads I go with, Rafa isn't talked about anymore, we don't expect to win anything etc. I agree re Ashley, he has no need to sell. One day he will but its his club and he has the right to wait for a price he sees fit. Simple as. I can only say the fans I know and spend time with are far from deluded, and it's certainly not delusion (as you say) to want and hope for better.

I don't think fans of any club should accept this "natural position" nonsense that's being talked of. I would never dream of saying Sunderland fans should accept where you are. You absolutely shouldn't. And I don't think we should celebrate survival, because its not an achievement in my eyes.
47 years supporting Sunderland mate and followed them all over for years. Its hope rather than expectation. With 1992ers, who seem to be the deluded ones, and The Mag contributors, and Twitter warriors it's expectation rather than hope. They divvunt help themselves the way they gan on.
And btw I know lads who've been going to Newcastle for years before the self entitlement set in and they seem to be a lot like your mates in terms of their expectations.

Last edited:
47 years supporting Sunderland mate and followed them all over for years. Its hope rather than expectation. With 1992ers, who seem to be the deluded ones, and The Mag contributors, and Twitter warriors it's expectation rather than hope. They divvunt help themselves the way they gan on.
And btw I know lads who've been going to Newcastle for years before the self entitlement set in and they seem to be a lot like your mates in terms of their expectations.
I agree re hope, and that shouldn't be beaten out of any football fan, or otherwise what's the point. Of course we have a generation of fans who came along just when we were up there, so their expectations are different, and after another decade or so will likely start accepting that those days are unlikely to return beyond a miracle or a mega buy out.

In my group I was probably last to the party as my first game was 1989, which was a pretty bad year haha.

Lads around my age group, early 50s, started going in the early 80s and you were shit but they still went. A few I know defected to you and got shunned by both groups. Some canny lads and the banter is still there after all these years. I'm originally from Washington Village but lived in South Wales for 4 years but when I do get home the craic is still the same. I know in around '88 they were still Protesting as the Magpie group I think and the Stay away campaign. Been doing it as long as I remember and never got them anywhere whether it was McKeag or Ashley.

Lads around my age group, early 50s, started going in the early 80s and you were shit but they still went. A few I know defected to you and got shunned by both groups. Some canny lads and the banter is still there after all these years. I'm originally from Washington Village but lived in South Wales for 4 years but when I do get home the craic is still the same. I know in around '88 they were still Protesting as the Magpie group I think and the Stay away campaign. Been doing it as long as I remember and never got them anywhere whether it was McKeag or Ashley.
Aye our oldest is heading towards 70 now and been going since the late 50s, but he's actually doing more non league now to be fair. To be honest, it's not just football now, younger people in general just have more expectation in general I would say. Long accepted I won't see my club won anything, which is sad, and I wonder what's in supporting Newcastle (or Sunderland) for young fans now in times of instant gratification. The days of it being a birth right are over I think. I just hate that feeling of the match being the worst part of the day!

I stated going with my mates in 1984 after being taken by my Dad for the years. I was 10 first game which was Everton and a 3 0 win, and I was hooked. ( my son is 11 now and well into it).

I got my 1st season ticket for the 3rd Division season in 1988 and ups and downs over the years and you're right, there have been times where the match was the worst part but the craic was brilliant.

Last edited:
I stated going with my mates in 1984 after being taken by my Dad for the years. I was 10 first game which was Everton and a 3 0 win, and I was hooked. ( my son is 11 now and well into it).

I got my 1st season ticket for the 3rd Division season in 1988 and ups and downs over the years and you're right, there have been times where the match was the worst part but the craic was brilliant.
It's good that your son is into it, as its hard to get them away from the more successful clubs now. Perhaps for him growing up now, he sees you at a relatively low ebb and he can celebrate better times moving forward and that should keep him interested.

Undoubtedly it's the meeting your mates that's the main attraction now.

It's good that your son is into it, as its hard to get them away from the more successful clubs now. Perhaps for him growing up now, he sees you at a relatively low ebb and he can celebrate better times moving forward and that should keep him interested.

Undoubtedly it's the meeting your mates that's the main attraction now.
He's got nee chance. His Uncle is season ticket holder and lives in Barnes and I'm still as into it as ever. He's a Goalie for the local team here and Jordan Pickford is his hero ( me and Our lass went to school with his Mam). He has pictures all over his room and signed photos 🤣🤣😉😉

And yes I think it's been like that for many years. Nowt better than a few beers prior and then analyse in the Town afterwards.

Last edited:
I think you need to get out more, the world is full of people who detest your lot.
Oh I don't doubt that, I've been to derbies and elsewhere, but if I take you for example. You don't strike me as someone that hates us more than you love Sunderland. He ONLY seems to post about us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back