Not letting a car cut in

Merge in turn but it's not clear who should have to give way in this case. It takes two to have an accident so he was lucky not to meet " himself" in the other car.

Heading to the town bridge along past the new City Hall..the number of cars who try and cut in to go over the bridge..when you’re coming along there you’ve got plenty time to get in the correct lane..JUST GET IN THE RIGHT FKN LANE.
as a cyclist I am very aware of a lack of lane management by drivers as it puts cyclists at massive risk, on a regular cycling commute you quickly recognise the hot spots where drivers never get the right lane and cause nonsense

Heading to the town bridge along past the new City Hall..the number of cars who try and cut in to go over the bridge..when you’re coming along there you’ve got plenty time to get in the correct lane..JUST GET IN THE RIGHT FKN LANE.

I've noticed that as well. They use the right lane to try and get ahead and then pull into the middle lane for the bridge.

Sometimes it's the opposite as well. Cars will use the middle lane to get ahead of the queue in the right lane and then stop with their indicators while stopping everyone else from continuing across the bridge.

Really selfish

I think if the car in the lane that requires to merge is ahead of you then you have to allow them across. A lot of people don't know this and results in massive queues in road works when you have a merging lane but no one uses it as it's seen as pushing in. If people used all the available lanes and merged correctly the queue wouldn't be anywhere near as long.

If you cross a dotted line, any dotted line then YOU must give way but not really sure there was a dotted line in catryans case but the other vehicle was changing lanes, not catryan who was driving in a straight line, I think a dashcam would have supported catryans insurance claim but a he said, she said, then probably not.

That Barnes area is dodgy mind heading past the pub towards Thornhill, loads of cars speed up to get 2 metres further ahead by pushing in. Heading down past Bede college as well where the camera is. Saw some knob in a golf doing about 40mph and just as it goes down to one lane and theres an island there, he swerved left with about 5 metres to spare before ploughing into the railings.Didn't even try to slow down. Hope he got done by the camera (if it was on).
Last week, driving past Burn park heading towards Eden vale. I was in the left to go straight on heading towards the Barnes. Some black Audi decides to do about 50mph past Burn park then with a second to spare, cut in and went up Eden vale way. Deserved to hit the island in his way and go through the screen. Probably no camera either even though a sign reckons there is.

as a cyclist I am very aware of a lack of lane management by drivers as it puts cyclists at massive risk, on a regular cycling commute you quickly recognise the hot spots where drivers never get the right lane and cause nonsense
Absolutely..being a cyclist now myself i've become very aware very quickly where to be extra cautious.
I've noticed that as well. They use the right lane to try and get ahead and then pull into the middle lane for the bridge.

Sometimes it's the opposite as well. Cars will use the middle lane to get ahead of the queue in the right lane and then stop with their indicators while stopping everyone else from continuing across the bridge.

Really selfish
Oh when they do that..suddenly decide to go into town rather than over the bridge and block the middle lane off..these are cars that have come all the way down past City Hall..ffs..get in lane.

Last edited:
My experience of driving in central London is that the normal rules / etiquette of driving simply don't apply and the best thing you can do is just not stress and use your indicators and hands more than usual.

So in answer to your question, just let it go!

Reminds me of a Jo Brand joke about how London traffic light rules are different to the rest of the country.

Green means Go
Amber means Go
Red means Go on then just three more cars

I tend to not care if someone pulls in front unless I have to hit the breaks with a degree of urgency. On the other hand, I find issue with people who seem to go ballistic when you've changed lanes and gone in front of them even though there's 50 yards space and no consequence to them at all.

Cutting across lanes to nip in - cheeky
Using both lanes and merging in turn - proper driving

OK so you have felt in polite to queue up behind everyone else. Don't get arsey because someone uses the lanes correctly.

I flash and wave them to indicate they can pull over in front of me , as I don’t really care either way , does nark me a bit if I do that and get no acknowledgement in return.

I’m a great believer in using both lanes and merge in turn , I think merge in turn signage should be compulsory when lanes reduce.

Nothing worse than seeing 600 yards of traffic waiting in one lane , then those at the front refusing to let other drivers merge in turn.

I think if the car in the lane that requires to merge is ahead of you then you have to allow them across. A lot of people don't know this and results in massive queues in road works when you have a merging lane but no one uses it as it's seen as pushing in. If people used all the available lanes and merged correctly the queue wouldn't be anywhere near as long.
It's quite scary how few people understand how merging works.

They see a sign saying this lane is closing in 400 metres, shit themselves, and move straight over.

One place that gets a lot of cutting in is around the Wessington way, Stoney lane area as you go around then go over the Alex bridge. Loads of cars zooming along Wessington way then stay in right lane but at the last minute cut in to go over the bridge. Other version is cutting in to then go down Kier Hardy way. Best to just slow down so they can't get in.

One place that gets a lot of cutting in is around the Wessington way, Stoney lane area as you go around then go over the Alex bridge. Loads of cars zooming along Wessington way then stay in right lane but at the last minute cut in to go over the bridge. Other version is cutting in to then go down Kier Hardy way. Best to just slow down so they can't get in.
That isn't a very well designed bit of road mind.

Strangely, at the Barnes as you go straight on past Durham road into Barnes park road, the middle lane next to the garage where the lights are has positioning for two cars to go straight on, but within about 3 metres its one lane. Never been in a position where two cars have ended up ready to go straight on there but not the best laid out bit of road.

Old story but shows the area I'm on about.

Last edited:

Back