Not letting a car cut in

CatRyan

Striker
Today I was driving and 2 lanes cut down to one for a bus stop and a driver in the shortened lane to my left sped cut in in front of me, absolutely would not stop.. doesn't really give me road rage but I'm going to let my old banger die and get a new one soon so wondered if I had refused to let them in and they went into my car could I be held responsible in any way?

This is central London in rush hour so not high speed crazy impact... no risk to life or limb

My experience of driving in central London is that the normal rules / etiquette of driving simply don't apply and the best thing you can do is just not stress and use your indicators and hands more than usual.

So in answer to your question, just let it go!

Let them cut in , they’ll be a few yards in front of you , you’ll be five seconds late.

Hardly the end of the world .
That isn't my point... I don't get radgy when driving and always let people in and hold back to let cars through in narrow passes

My question was whether or not I could be held in anyway liable if the driver cutting in wrote my car off. I'm getting a new car soon.
Did he cut in front or just merge into the appropriate lane ?
They aggressively cut in in front of me rather than merging sensibly
My experience of driving in central London is that the normal rules / etiquette of driving simply don't apply and the best thing you can do is just not stress and use your indicators and hands more than usual.

So in answer to your question, just let it go!
I'm not bothered about that like i said i only really drive in London and them cutting in gained them a few inches... nothing to wind me up

I just figured if they went into my car I'd get it written off and it would go towards my new car

Last edited:
Today I was driving and 2 lanes cut down to one for a bus stop and a driver in the shortened lane to my left sped cut in in front of me, absolutely would not stop.. doesn't really give me road rage but I'm going to let my old banger die and get a new one soon so wondered if I had refused to let them in and they went into my car could I be held responsible in any way?

This is central London in rush hour so not high speed crazy impact... no risk to life or limb
According to the highway code, in a situation where two lanes become one drivers should merge, so if you'd hit him as he tried to merge there's a good chance you'd have been the one found to be at fault.

According to the highway code, in a situation where two lanes become one drivers should merge, so if you'd hit him as he tried to merge there's a good chance you'd have been the one found to be at fault.

Right... so I'm in traffic they come up the empty lane that merges and they don't check their speed and are alongside me and just refuse to stop cutting in? So I have to stop and let them in or keep going and they go into me?

Of course I let them in but it just got me thinking it would be handy timing to get my car written off.

Let them cut in , they’ll be a few yards in front of you , you’ll be five seconds late.

Hardly the end of the world .

If only most people thought that way.

There are far too many nobs who think that letting someone in, or not beating them to something at every opportunity, means they're submitting to someone and it makes them feel insecure.

That isn't my point... I don't get radgy when driving and always let people in and hold back to let cars through in narrow passes

My question was whether or not I could be held in anyway liable if the driver cutting in wrote my car off. I'm getting a new car soon.

They aggressively cut in in front of me rather than merging sensibly

I'm not bothered about that like i said i only really drive in London and them cutting in gained them a few inches... nothing to wind me up

I just figured if they went into my car I'd get it written off and it would go towards my new car
I see from your post above tou drive in London- drivers in London are wankers and its they are just as likely to be in the wrong. I always find it best to drive defensively and try to avoid accidents, but lean on the horn to let them know they're being a prick.

Whether your found to be at fault or not, your insurance will increase, so it's always better to try and avoid an accident if you can.

Probably jointly responsible to varying degrees. Very rarely straightforward unless it's a straight shunt up the arse while stationery.

Phil Cool did a great video about this back in the day. “ you’re not gerrin in here , stay there and rot “ 😁😁

Right... so I'm in traffic they come up the empty lane that merges and they don't check their speed and are alongside me and just refuse to stop cutting in? So I have to stop and let them in or keep going and they go into me?

Of course I let them in but it just got me thinking it would be handy timing to get my car written off.
If he came around you on the inside then they're not merging correctly as they should merge in behind. Either way I'd still say it's nest to avoid the accident as you can't be sure that your insurance company will agree there's no fault on your part.
The other party might also be uninsured.

I see from your post above tou drive in London- drivers in London are wankers and its they are just as likely to be in the wrong. I always find it best to drive defensively and try to avoid accidents, but lean on the horn to let them know they're being a prick.

Whether your found to be at fault or not, your insurance will increase, so it's always better to try and avoid an accident if you can.
Yep I always do and am not an aggressive driver in the slightest. In this instance they would literally be turning into me as we were alongside eachother already... had I been in their position which I am not on that stretch as I know it goes to one lane so stay in the right lane, I would have waited for the car alongside me to pass at least before turning in.

In London the narrow roads and weight of traffic means it is a constant give and take and especially during morning rush hour loads of school kids just wandering out so always best to be defensive and let people through.

Similar incident. Diplomats car south Africa 🇿🇦 drove down bus lane . Tried to force way in. I stood my ground he caught my works velchles steps . Damaged posh car . Nowt on my veichle . Driver got out . I told he was on camera and fuck off back to South Africa ya cheeky **** . In a friendly manner . He got bk in car and fucked off. Nowt come of it like 👍

Yep I always do and am not an aggressive driver in the slightest. In this instance they would literally be turning into me as we were alongside eachother already... had I been in their position which I am not on that stretch as I know it goes to one lane so stay in the right lane, I would have waited for the car alongside me to pass at least before turning in.

In London the narrow roads and weight of traffic means it is a constant give and take and especially during morning rush hour loads of school kids just wandering out so always best to be defensive and let people through.
You’ve opened Pandora’s Box here. The smb “merge in turn” brigade will be all over this for hours.

Back