Not been ageist. But . Should over 80s Be banned from drivving cars 🚗

you can have all the training in the world but all you need to do is follow the highway code and you'll not go far wrong. there's far too many folk think it's just something to read before passing a test and forgotten about. did your blue light training tell you that as long as you indicate it's fine to pull out? perhaps these 'agressive arseholes' were just people who couldn't pull out because they would've wiped someone out or do you want that to happen? would you like them to come to a stop on a busy dual carriageway and have someone go up their arses just to let someone out who hasn't a clue how to drive?
I know the difference between someone not being able to pull over or having to slam the anchors on to let someone out over someone actively accelerating to get in front. The worst sliproad was the one coming out of Crowther to join the 1231 which was approaching a roundabout. so what the excuse for accelerating like twats towards it other than to not be inconvenienced by a learner driver? I await your tedious answer.

"Not been ageist. But..." am now?

I also spot some "not misogynistic. But..." here

Just waiting on "I'm not racist, one of my best friends is black. But...' for House!

People of all ages and genders do some quite idiotic things while driving. The thing is, it's individuals, there aren't absolute truths. My biggest irritations tend to be super confident, mainly men, but quite a few women, of all ages, driving BMW/Audi/Mercedes (just the most obvious cars because I have no interest in or knowledge of the rest of the favoured 'I'm a great driver' cars), there is frequent agression, weaving in and out, gratuitous use of the horn, parking in disabled bays, cutting up, 'racing' on motorways and running red lights.

I think the data should be studied to determine if elderly drivers are disproportionately involved in accidents.

If so, maybe a refresher test should be on the cards once you hit a certain age. Something that ensures that a person's eyesight, coordination and reaction times are still sufficient for the road.

I'll hoy my tuppence worth in, just for the hell oif it. 17/18 year old drivers.....it's too young. There needs to be (in my opinion) some kind of scheme where they are limited to a 1.1 engine for three years after passing. Conversley, there seems to be a lot of old fuckers now driving Quashquais with no idea how to manouvre or park them. So maybe restrict the pensioners to smaller cars too? That then leaves the middle aged cokeheads to race around in overpriced/overpowered German cars. There is no real solution other than for people to just stop being absolute cockends on the road?

good luck with that, but you do know there is only one answer if she says no.

I hope she has family that will guide her and persuade her, that the next injury she causes may well be to herself
Well I think our minds are already made up, hopefully she hands in her license and we don't need to take it any further.

I know the difference between someone not being able to pull over or having to slam the anchors on to let someone out over someone actively accelerating to get in front. The worst sliproad was the one coming out of Crowther to join the 1231 which was approaching a roundabout. so what the excuse for accelerating like twats towards it other than to not be inconvenienced by a learner driver? I await your tedious answer.
tedious answer?
i've already said there's no excuse for twattish driving but i'm not the one teaching someone to drive who isn't teaching them how to use slip roads correctly or being under the impression that putting an indicator on gives them carte blanche to do what they want. why did the lad not slow down, let tge dickhead crack on and merge when safe?
i hope you don't drive as aggressively as you sound on this thread.
i only commented originally on the thread to relay that it's not just older drivers that are lacking standards.

Last edited:
Accident yesterday outside my local shops . 85 year old bloke tried to do U turn on busy road . Young lass crashed into him . Both cars wrote off . Bloke had to be cut out of car by fire brigade. There could of been bairns in that lasses car . Police have suspended 85yr old blokes licence allegedly. Should there be an age limit where your not allowed to drive no more
Maybe spelling tests as well for posters ! See op ! 😂

tedious answer?
i've already said there's no excuse for twattish driving but i'm not the one teaching someone to drive who isn't teaching them how to use slip roads correctly or being under the impression that putting an indicator on gives them carte blanche to do what they want. why did the lad not slow down, let tge dickhead crack on and merge when safe?
i hope you don't drive as aggressively as you sound on this thread.
i only commented originally on the thread to relay that it's not just older drivers that are lacking standards.
Your original comment was calling learner drivers for lacking standards, Who would have thought learners, possibly on their first ever time using a slip road might be a bit shite at it :lol: Jesus Christ man it’s why they use L plates ffs.

Oh and never once did I say people with L plates indicating gives them carte blanche to pull out I said it’s completely ignored or a catalyst for shite driving. When I see a learner indicating to come off a slip road I’ll adjust my speed or switch lanes safely to allow them to join the faster road. Never once have I had to swerve or slam the anchors on. I make allowances for the fact they’re not great drivers due to the fact they’re f***ing learning (which you clearly have no tolerance for) What I don’t do is remain in the inside lane and hoof past them cos I might get stuck behind them for a few seconds.
Oh and as for aggressive driving I passed first time in 1989. Not one speeding ticket in almost 35 years and the only 2 bumps I’ve had were people hitting me while I was stationary. I suggest you stop fuming at learner drivers not having high standards :lol: cut them a bit slack, and concentrate on not driving your truck right up someone’s arse which seems to be all the rage these days with HGV drivers 👍

Like everything else it should be assessed on an Individual basis, if your good enough and vision ok then why shouldnt you be allowed to drive.

Your original comment was calling learner drivers for lacking standards, Who would have thought learners, possibly on their first ever time using a slip road might be a bit shite at it :lol: Jesus Christ man it’s why they use L plates ffs.

Oh and never once did I say people with L plates indicating gives them carte blanche to pull out I said it’s completely ignored or a catalyst for shite driving. When I see a learner indicating to come off a slip road I’ll adjust my speed or switch lanes safely to allow them to join the faster road. Never once have I had to swerve or slam the anchors on. I make allowances for the fact they’re not great drivers due to the fact they’re f***ing learning (which you clearly have no tolerance for) What I don’t do is remain in the inside lane and hoof past them cos I might get stuck behind them for a few seconds.
Oh and as for aggressive driving I passed first time in 1989. Not one speeding ticket in almost 35 years and the only 2 bumps I’ve had were people hitting me while I was stationary. I suggest you stop fuming at learner drivers not having high standards :lol: cut them a bit slack, and concentrate on not driving your truck right up someone’s arse which seems to be all the rage these days with HGV drivers 👍
i'm not fuming at learner drivers at all. you're seeing and imagining something that isn't there.
it's the people who are not learning them to drive correctly that are at fault.
you also seen to have an angry vendetta against hgv drivers.
also, fwiw i passed my bike licence in 1983, car in 1984 and hgv in 2000. not one accident-touch wood.

No idea ofthe situation in the. UK but all the folks saying test every x years, kids here are waiting 9 months plus for their first test due to a lack of examiners. How we going to fit them all in?

i'm not fuming at learner drivers at all. you're seeing and imagining something that isn't there.
it's the people who are not learning them to drive correctly that are at fault.
you also seen to have an angry vendetta against hgv drivers.
also, fwiw i passed my bike licence in 1983, car in 1984 and hgv in 2000. not one accident-touch wood.
Are you suggesting the people learning them (sic) are at fault if their students are not perfect at joining the flowing traffic smoothly and in perfect synchrony from a slip road first time???? Jesus Christ :lol:

Oh I do have issues with HGV drivers and I’m also one, I’ve also seen first hand the devastation caused in a van v’s Hgv collision (vans fault, one gruesome body recovery) and every single day I see tailgating by arsehole HGV drivers (not all but an increasing amount) They’re clearly too thick to realise they’re a split second away from a death by dangerous driving charge and infinitely more dangerous than learners or doddery old bastards.

Are you suggesting the people learning them (sic) are at fault if their students are not perfect at joining the flowing traffic smoothly and in perfect synchrony from a slip road first time???? Jesus Christ :lol:

Oh I do have issues with HGV drivers and I’m also one, I’ve also seen first hand the devastation caused in a van v’s Hgv collision (vans fault, one gruesome body recovery) and every single day I see tailgating by arsehole HGV drivers (not all but an increasing amount) They’re clearly too thick to realise they’re a split second away from a death by dangerous driving charge and infinitely more dangerous than learners or doddery old bastards.
how do you know it was their first time?
their instructor should assess wether they're up to a standard and are fully aware of the highway code rules regarding slip roads before they do so. obviously the one's in my example and yours weren't and it's obviously down to poor guidance.
i really hope your angry attitude on this doesn’t transfer onto the roads.
i've had enough, drive safely.

"Not been ageist. But..." am now?

I also spot some "not misogynistic. But..." here

Just waiting on "I'm not racist, one of my best friends is black. But...' for House!

People of all ages and genders do some quite idiotic things while driving. The thing is, it's individuals, there aren't absolute truths. My biggest irritations tend to be super confident, mainly men, but quite a few women, of all ages, driving BMW/Audi/Mercedes (just the most obvious cars because I have no interest in or knowledge of the rest of the favoured 'I'm a great driver' cars), there is frequent agression, weaving in and out, gratuitous use of the horn, parking in disabled bays, cutting up, 'racing' on motorways and running red lights.
Ageist isn't really comparable to the other two though is it. Its a load of nonsense really some things declared Ageism are just common sense, not sure how it's creeping into the conversation with racism etc

If over 80's are banned will under 80's drive them about so they don't become completely housebound? My mam doesn't drive and doesn't get out of the house unless someone takes her.

On the flip side my neighbour, who had had a stroke and was suffering early dementia, nearly killed a cyclist at the Villa Real roundabout. It's about assessing suitability to drive on an individual basis.
No idea ofthe situation in the. UK but all the folks saying test every x years, kids here are waiting 9 months plus for their first test due to a lack of examiners. How we going to fit them all in?
UK: my daughter failed the practical test in December and the next slot she could get was March. Theory slots took about four to six weeks for her multiple attempts iirc.

All well and good raising standards but there'd need to be more examiners

Last edited:
Should be a full test at pension age , then 5 yearly .
I'm 66 still rate myself as a good driver , drive abroad etc but i know i have little lapses by my standards i would never have had 20 years ago . Balanced against that is the reduced general risk taking of course .

Good post
They keep changing the pension age. So one day this full test could be on your 90th birthday. :lol:

I used to blow a fuse almost every time I was sitting in with the boy when he was learning to drive. There are some fuckíng grade a arseholes out there, people speeding up in the inside lane to get in front when he was trying to join quicker roads was my biggest fury point, he nearly ran of of slip road a few times because of ignorant fuckers doing this. A prick taxi driver whose son goes to seta buzzed him a few times coming up the slip road to join the 1231. I’m convinced it was on purpose. I was going to have a word with him but he’s lucky my lad didn’t want to cause a fuss. I probably would have dragged the twat out of the window and throttled him.
Was teaching my son the other week on a trading estate. This utter kernt gets out of a factory, views us coming along the road n gets in van. I say its alright son hes seen you. Screetches out at us in reverse n speeds off the tosser.

Utter shit drivers of all ages. Im not sure how many on roads have passed a test tbh.

Accident yesterday outside my local shops . 85 year old bloke tried to do U turn on busy road . Young lass crashed into him . Both cars wrote off . Bloke had to be cut out of car by fire brigade. There could of been bairns in that lasses car . Police have suspended 85yr old blokes licence allegedly. Should there be an age limit where your not allowed to drive no more
Happened to me about 35 years ago. Old bloke in a micra U turned out of a lay by at top of Cold Blow Lane in Gateshead . Front of his Micra disappeared as he sat looking confused.

Back