Non-natives - North East slang that means something different where you are

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's crap is either "rubbish" or "made badly", to "have a crap" is as you detailed above (London) .

Twat has a different meaning from up north too - it is rarely used down here but could likely have the same meaning as twit.

I grew up in the south east and the anatomical meaning of twat was vagina, and as an insult it would rank a lot higher than twit!

I still can’t get my head around the SMB referring to “gadgies” as if it’s a good thing. Up here the term “gadgy” is what you lot would refer to as a “scratter”.

Any more?

When I was only about 8 a Gadgie was a night watchman on a building site but for some reason we called him the Garcie! :eek:

Somewhere in the Midlands or the Peak District blokes call each other "Love".

Been called Hinny by blokes from Chester le Street loads of times.

Youve made this up

When has anyone from Sunderland pronounced table as chebble?

Chabble mebees!

Last edited:
I always understood the word Canny to be a local word meaning pleasant or ok when referring to a person,
as in Canny Lad.

However I get the impression that in recent decades it’s been picked up in other areas of the U.K. and given an entirely different meaning as in clever, smart or worldly wise.

Comments ?

Youve made this up

When has anyone from Sunderland pronounced table as chebble?

Chebble is NW County Durham. As us Byuk (book), skyul (school) etc. And Thoo (you)

Took me years to get out of it. Well, a week, if I’m being honest.

I always understood the word Canny to be a local word meaning pleasant or ok when referring to a person,
as in Canny Lad.

However I get the impression that in recent decades it’s been picked up in other areas of the U.K. and given an entirely different meaning as in clever, smart or worldly wise.

Comments ?

It always did mean that. Recent decades my arse. It’s in the bliddy dictionary man.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back