Non-natives - North East slang that means something different where you are

I always understood the word Canny to be a local word meaning pleasant or ok when referring to a person,
as in Canny Lad.

However I get the impression that in recent decades it’s been picked up in other areas of the U.K. and given an entirely different meaning as in clever, smart or worldly wise.

Comments ?
Or meaning someone being careful. Canny with their money. Gan canny with the petrol.

Or meaning someone being careful. Canny with their money. Gan canny with the petrol.

Maybe not careful, but "good". As I said in a previous post, my grandad in Bishop used Canny to mean "good", usually to do with an amount of something rather than an emotion.

"That's a canny walk" it's a good/long walk
"There's a canny few in the club" there's a good few/A lot of people in the club.

Don't remember him ever using canny to mean a positive. I don't think he ever described a good cricketer As a "canny cricketer" or that he ever said it was a "canny day out with a canny bunch of lads"

Correct, gan canny along this road fatha, it’s full of potholes.
Canny good is often used locally these days as well.

Much different to the Southern meaning, clever or crafty.

Maybe not careful, but "good". As I said in a previous post, my grandad in Bishop used Canny to mean "good", usually to do with an amount of something rather than an emotion.

"There's a canny few in the club" there's a good few/A lot of people in the club.

Don't remember him ever using canny to mean a positive. I don't think he ever described a good cricketer As a "canny cricketer" or that he ever said it was a "canny day out with a canny bunch of lads"
Gan canny with what you say, gan canny how much you use, gan canny when you go out tonight, gan canny who you pick on, all mean be careful where I was brought up in Sunderland.

Surely referring to someone as a Canny Lad as commonly used in the N.E. is a positive remark.

Back