Non-natives - North East slang that means something different where you are

Mickdundee

Winger
I still can’t get my head around the SMB referring to “gadgies” as if it’s a good thing. Up here the term “gadgy” is what you lot would refer to as a “scratter”.

Any more?

It’ll be a tit like anywhere else

Only weirdos stuck on rigs think of cocks @Typhoonftm

I've never heard of a cheb meaning anything other than a cock until I joined this board. I still havnt heard anyone call titties chebs other than on this board.
If the whole cheb/tittle thing is a made up in-joke amongst some of the smb I'll admit I missed that one.

Do explain

Odd one. Always though ‘claat’ In and of itself wasn’t that bad as it’s just the pronunciation of ‘cloth’.

It’s when you call someone a bumbaclaat (arsewipe) that it’s offensive.

In Staffordshire a stottie is a slim attractive female I.e. slim hottie.

Gan’ is to be nosey I.e. have a gander at something.

‘Bairn’ is the least amount of materialistic possessions that bring happiness i.e. the bare necessities.

To have a ‘ganzy’ is to have a look in Norwich slang.

But then they call snails ‘Doddermen’ and ladybirds ‘Bishee Barnabies’ the absolute f***ing freaks.

Devil's Dyke is in Sussex

Sluts Hole Lane in Norwich is a favourite of mine. Nothing rude, back in the day it just meant it was a muddy, dirty track. Still hilarious, like Hot Black Road in the same city.

Last edited:
Sluts Hole Lane in Norwich is a favourite of mine. Nothing rude, back in the day it just meant it was a muddy, dirty track. Still hilarious, like Hot Black Road in the same city.

Jack's Bush is near Bristol I think.

Odd one. Always though ‘claat’ In and of itself wasn’t that bad as it’s just the pronunciation of ‘cloth’.

It’s when you call someone a bumbaclaat (arsewipe) that it’s offensive.

Well that's different.
Clart to mean mud/shite makes sense I suppose

Last edited:

Back