Non League Football

@tunstallhill - do you reckon there will be many additions at Spenny over the summer? You could kind of tell who had recently joined from Gateshead, with that trio standing out.

Was just looking on wiki at Gateshead's team and there doesn't seem many at all from the region there these days.

It was put in at the end of March but was only announced 1 week ago, last Sunday.

It's going to be the case more often I expect. Costs are increasing, it's a shame that other non league clubs can't attract effectively their own portion of people now going to watch South Shields. The football in the region would be much more competitive if people were supporting their local club rather than what is fashionable.

@tunstallhill - do you reckon there will be many additions at Spenny over the summer? You could kind of tell who had recently joined from Gateshead, with that trio standing out.

Was just looking on wiki at Gateshead's team and there doesn't seem many at all from the region there these days.

people there reckon there will be quite a few new players coming in, but its difficult to see any stand out weak points in the team. definitely need a better striker as i dont think Dowson is up to it (as third choice).

They reckon that the ground will be getting improved with an extension to the main stand and improvements to the open end terrace, but not sure how quick it can be done if the planning etc... isnt already in place. i know the turnstiles are going to be replaced. theres not much been said about it so far, i imagine this time last year the club couldnt possibly have been planning to be playing Conf North in 17/18 so might be a bit of panic.

theres no more drinking allowed on the away coaches thats for certain. club could get fined for it now. shame really

The National League North will be an interesting watch next season! I think Blyth will be strong with that squad, you'd fancy York to compete as apparently they're staying full-time. Of course as far as Darlo go the summer is critical for them with investment or the budget is being cut. Spenny will recruit again too!

It was put in at the end of March but was only announced 1 week ago, last Sunday.

It's going to be the case more often I expect. Costs are increasing, it's a shame that other non league clubs can't attract effectively their own portion of people now going to watch South Shields. The football in the region would be much more competitive if people were supporting their local club rather than what is fashionable.
How many people go to support Shields that aren't from Shields?

That's what I don't understand. According to some on here there are loads yet I've never spoken to anyone there who isn't from Shields
Pretty much my experience.

I'd imagine initially there was a few for Arca, but most of the faces I see now are 1's I've come across at some point in my life.

Pretty much my experience.

I'd imagine initially there was a few for Arca, but most of the faces I see now are 1's I've come across at some point in my life.

I'm not from Shields but my lad was brought up there. I'm normally there with him and his little girl. They come up from Wakefield they have the Yorkshire Mariners flag which was at Guisborough. It's the grandbairn who's got me into Shields, she loves going and for me it's quality time with the family.

I'm not from Shields but my lad was brought up there. I'm normally there with him and his little girl. They come up from Wakefield they have the Yorkshire Mariners flag which was at Guisborough. It's the grandbairn who's got me into Shields, she loves going and for me it's quality time with the family.
Watch yourself, you'll get grief for jumping on the bandwagon and not supporting your local.

I saw the flag but never came across the owners.
I think there was a lad and his lass from Yorkshire behind us at Guisborough, they were in there late 20's/30's tho. Exiles I assume.

Watch yourself, you'll get grief for jumping on the bandwagon and not supporting your local.

I saw the flag but never came across the owners.
I think there was a lad and his lass from Yorkshire behind us at Guisborough, they were in there late 20's/30's tho. Exiles I assume.

Logon or register to see this image

My lad with the bairn, flag and a trophy. The little one did her 1st Shields game at 3

Logon or register to see this image

Hoooooooooolio

Last edited:
people there reckon there will be quite a few new players coming in, but its difficult to see any stand out weak points in the team. definitely need a better striker as i dont think Dowson is up to it (as third choice).

They reckon that the ground will be getting improved with an extension to the main stand and improvements to the open end terrace, but not sure how quick it can be done if the planning etc... isnt already in place. i know the turnstiles are going to be replaced. theres not much been said about it so far, i imagine this time last year the club couldnt possibly have been planning to be playing Conf North in 17/18 so might be a bit of panic.

theres no more drinking allowed on the away coaches thats for certain. club could get fined for it now. shame really
There were a lot of groans where i was sitting in the first half when that left back Mason was on the ball, people saying 'don't pass to him man' and he he did have a couple of shaky incidents in the second half, i remember him heading it right back into the danger zone, wind must have got a hold of it. But i suppose he is the captain so probably wouldn't be looking to replace him.

What's your thoughts on Graeme Armstrong? Has been prolific over the years and apparently top scorer at every club he has been to bar Spenny. He's played at level 6 before, but he is coming up to 34 - will he have another year in him at that level?

Very interesting times ahead, I've been gripped by the local non league scene above Northern League level and will likely go to either the Darlo, Blyth or York games next season, possibly at least 2 of them.

There were a lot of groans where i was sitting in the first half when that left back Mason was on the ball, people saying 'don't pass to him man' and he he did have a couple of shaky incidents in the second half, i remember him heading it right back into the danger zone, wind must have got a hold of it. But i suppose he is the captain so probably wouldn't be looking to replace him.

What's your thoughts on Graeme Armstrong? Has been prolific over the years and apparently top scorer at every club he has been to bar Spenny. He's played at level 6 before, but he is coming up to 34 - will he have another year in him at that level?

Very interesting times ahead, I've been gripped by the local non league scene above Northern League level and will likely go to either the Darlo, Blyth or York games next season, possibly at least 2 of them.

aye i think out of the forwards only Glen Taylor will cut in in the next level. like i said i think a striker is really important. the defence has been unbelievable this season but mason is a centre half playing a LB on saturday so maybes a proper LB. theres going to be loads of good games between northern teams next season. hopefully all of the 'derbies' will attract a few more people too

Been nothing said for a week now, no idea what's gonna happen this Summer. I know for a fact one player turned down a football league club to be at Darlington last year (my only ever piece of ITK ;)), but if the option came about for some of them now you'd imagine they'd be moving on if the club can't progress any further.

The statement from the supporters group last week about Gray looking for investors himself didn't exactly seem like it was posted in the most positive light - http://dfcsg.co.uk/?x=entry:entry170424-172623

Level 1 - Prem - Newcastle
Level 2 - Championship - Sunderland, Middlesbrough
Level 3 - League One - None
Level 4 - League Two - Carlisle United (Still could get to League One through play offs)
Level 5 - National League - Hartlepool United, Gateshead, Barrow
Level 6 - National League North - Darlington, Blyth Spartans, Spennymoor, York City, Harrogate Town
Level 7 - Evo Stick Premier - Workington, Whitby
Level 8 - Evo Stick North - South Shields, Kendal Town, Scarborough Athletic

Updated with Barrow.

Looking forward to going there next season, they've just built a new ground.

Yeah that's on my list of places to visit as well mate.

Will most probably complete the Scottish leagues in July when the league cup is on (only got 2 left) and will probably need another 2 seasons to knock off my remaining 14 of the 92. But am also looking at the conference (already done a third of it), plus probably the conference North longer term. Still working on the Scottish Lowland league,East of Scotland and South of Scotland leagues as well, but the organised groundhops have been helping with those.

Last edited:

Back