Non League Football

Looking at the fixtures:

Guiseley: Tranmere (H), Bromley (A), Solihull (H)
York: Wrexham (H), Woking (A), Forest Green (H)
Woking: Chester (A), York (H), Dageenham & R (A)
Solihull: Macclesfield (A), Easleigh (H), Guiseley (A)
Braintree: Torquay (A), Barrow (H), Aldershot (A)
Torquay: Braintree (H), Dover (A), Nth Ferriby (H)

Technically, the teams on 52-53 points could be dragged into it but it's unlikely so I won't list their fixtures or North Ferriby's as their goal difference means they're effectively down. Already relegated Southport have the top 3 still to play so only Torquay have an already relegated side left.

You'd think Torquay need at least 7 points to have a hope really. As for York, they really have to beat Wrexham on Monday.

Some interesting fixtures. York vs FGR and Braintree away to Aldershot look tough games but they could be dead rubbers for the opposition, or in FGR's case a certain position is secured and they rest players for the playoffs. Torquay could (and probably should) get 6 from those, i hope they do beat Braintree. You wouldn't necessarily say any of those teams have 'easy' run ins, York and Woking's are similar but Woking have home advantage in that crucial 6 pointer.

It will be York manager Gary Mills against one of his former clubs vs Wrexham, but whatever happens, 6 wins from 9 has been outstanding from York considering they won just 5 of their first 34 league games and they were well adrift in February.

Stockton Town won Northern League division 2 today, 2nd successive promotion.
Billingham Synthonia clinched promotion back to division one with a 2-0 win against Willington but due to financial problems today was the last game to be played at their stadium,They will play at Norton for the next 2 seasons while trying to relocate to Billingham if they can find an affordable site for a new ground.

Does that mean that, if Darlington finish top 5, the side in 6th get the final playoff spot?

It will do. They're appealing against the decision to not let them play but it won't make any difference, it's their own fault really. Massive shame though.

Some big non league games tomorrow:

National
Aldershot vs Dover - direct battle for 5th and final playoff place, realistically Shots will have to win to have any chance of making them.
Gateshead vs Lincoln (BT Sport, 3pm) - dead rubber now for the Heed, but Lincoln will win the title (and promotion) if they win and Tranmere fail to win at relegation threatened Guiseley.
York vs Wrexham - York have won 6 of their last 9 but are till just out of the relegation one on goal difference. Their easiest remaining game on paper so hopefully they make it 7 wins from 10.
Torquay vs Braintree - Massive game, 2 sides in the relegation zone, both really need the win.

National North
Darlington
vs FC United - not much riding on with the news Darlo can't make the playoffs but should be a good crowd there tomorrow.
3 matches involving relegation threatened sides vs Playoff chasing ones

EvoStik Premier
Penultimate round of fixtures:
Blyth vs Whitby - Blyth have obviously already secured promotion, but a big game for their reasonably local opponents who need the win to boost their playoff hopes. I hope they do win
Frickley vs Spennymoor - Spenny will need 1 point to secure their top 5 place, but hopefully they get all 3 against their struggling opponents to help their cause for 2nd place.
Nantwich vs Workington - I'll include this as well as Workington is reasonably local to me and it is 3rd vs 6th and between 2 sides who will probably make the playoffs. Hopefully Wukkie will win to boot their top 5 hopes but also to strengthen Spenny's quest for 2nd.

There's also Billingham Town vs Billingham Synthonia in the Northern League Division 2 as well as a couple of games in Division 1.

Looking at the fixtures:

Guiseley: Tranmere (H), Bromley (A), Solihull (H)
York: Wrexham (H), Woking (A), Forest Green (H)
Woking: Chester (A), York (H), Dageenham & R (A)
Solihull: Macclesfield (A), Easleigh (H), Guiseley (A)
Braintree: Torquay (A), Barrow (H), Aldershot (A)
Torquay: Braintree (H), Dover (A), Nth Ferriby (H)

Technically, the teams on 52-53 points could be dragged into it but it's unlikely so I won't list their fixtures or North Ferriby's as their goal difference means they're effectively down. Already relegated Southport have the top 3 still to play so only Torquay have an already relegated side left.

You'd think Torquay need at least 7 points to have a hope really. As for York, they really have to beat Wrexham on Monday.

Just saw that you can get 7/1 for York to go down :eek:. I know they are in fine form but those are crazy odds IMO. They should finish above Torquay so just need to finish above one of Braintree, Solihull, Woking or Guiseley. You can get 5/1 on Wrexham to beat them tomorrow so while it's expected they win that one and then they'll be in a great position, if they don't, then the Woking game becomes pretty much must win and those 7/1 odds will shorten massively.

Last edited:
Prefer to ground hop but like to go when Shildon are the visitors. Watch Shields as well cos of my lad. Will be at Mariners Park this weekend with my lad and grandaughter in the Vase and we'll also be there next weekend at the Shildon game.

I would have expected you to be a Wetherfield supporter Roy

Pools 2-1 down now, looking like they may well be in non league next season.

Grim. There's some big / wealthy clubs down there, you'd think it might take a while for them to come back should they drop.

Definitely, bigger clubs than Pools have gone down and struggled to make it back!

Best I've seen Darlo play all season, should have scored more than four. That first goal is guaranteed goal of the season, absolute screamer from thirty yards into the top corner from David Ferguson. Beaut.

So, Lincoln need a win to officially seal the National League, although the way they won today has effectively done that.

Big steps to safety for both Woking and Solihull. Looks like two from four to go down. This article doesn't paint an optimistic future for Torquay regardless of what happens:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ear-relegation-losing-home-96-years-plainmoor

The owner has a history of buying stadiums for redevelopment purposes.

Back