Nissan

More bumps in the road ahead?

There has been big disruption at the Sunderland plant this month because of this. We have only done 4 days production in the last two weeks and there are more none production days next week.
They must be doing okay as I saw them advertising for staff on Facebook the other day.
New model Quasqai coming into production next month. Doesn't look as though it's going to be a smooth launch though due to the semi conductor shortage.

Last edited:

It's part of the reason I got the job! We're spending crazy money on air freight to maintain JIT. Hand to mouth is an understatement.
Bad timing to launch a new model , it’s usually build build build mode, but clearly they can’t now.
Plus sitting on a shit load of parts in warehouses costing millions.
Must have a huge affect on suppliers also with a cut in build numbers.

Had a letter this morning saying I'm going on to flexible furlough. Load of bollacks. Coming in for a few days a week. Cost more in fuel.

i was in nissan on friday and it seemed very quiet, usually see a fair few folk milling about outside unless i was up when they were working and not on breaks-about 9am. haven't read most of this thread, are some on furlough?

So a shortage of parts supply is a viable reason to fund the company via the public funds?
Realise COVID has created a demand for home PC usage that was unprecedented for semi conductors.
So does this mean it’s linked and therefore allowed, for now.
By all accounts it will take months to sort this shortage, so I doubt furlough will be available at some point.

Had a letter this morning saying I'm going on to flexible furlough. Load of bollacks. Coming in for a few days a week. Cost more in fuel.
When are you off then
All furlough is flexible now. Its to the point where it can be measured in hours per day rather than days per week
So a shortage of parts supply is a viable reason to fund the company via the public funds?
Realise COVID has created a demand for home PC usage that was unprecedented for semi conductors.
By all accounts it will take months to sort this shortage, so I doubt furlough will be available at some point.
The shortage is caused by the pandemic, therefore deemed "furloughable"
Huge companies like Nissan, Caterpillar and Komatsu would find it very difficult to pull the wool over HMRC's eyes if it were not covid related.

Last edited:
Sort of a tax refund as I see it, I am funding my own wages being a tax payer in a sense.

Back