Nicknames given to mates when deviating from the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

There was a kid round out way whose name was “the hideously deformed kid from Coleridge avenue”. Not too pithy but it stuck.

Slight nickname tangent but when I was in the cubs in the seventies there was a lad who had a massive Afro. (He was white!) - one day he showed up and had been absolutely razzed almost to the bone so we were calling him ‘Croppie’ (“kiss your barley crop!”). Somehow this mutated into ‘Crombie’.

Years later he moved in round the corner from me and we would occasionally stroll to school together. Some lad shouts at him ‘Ow Crombie!’ - I asked him how come they call him that and he had nee idea. Somehow it had stuck. Strange addendum was that his two kid brothers inherited the name. Both remain completely clueless as to how!

He’s a lovely lad mind, started behind the bar in the Labour Club and did a lot of volunteer work before getting into college for Social Work and I think he’s a counselor in Morpeth now. MLF anarl. Some off here may know him.

Slight nickname tangent but when I was in the cubs in the seventies there was a lad who had a massive Afro. (He was white!) - one day he showed up and had been absolutely razzed almost to the bone so we were calling him ‘Croppie’ (“kiss your barley crop!”). Somehow this mutated into ‘Crombie’.

Years later he moved in round the corner from me and we would occasionally stroll to school together. Some lad shouts at him ‘Ow Crombie!’ - I asked him how come they call him that and he had nee idea. Somehow it had stuck. Strange addendum was that his two kid brothers inherited the name. Both remain completely clueless as to how!

He’s a lovely lad mind, started behind the bar in the Labour Club and did a lot of volunteer work before getting into college for Social Work and I think he’s a counselor in Morpeth now. MLF anarl. Some off here may know him.
:lol: Not heard that for years.

A bloke from the yards who had one leg shorter than the other - sniper’s nightmare.

Lads who won’t take no for an answer from the ladies - wilmott-brown
I can't get that 1st one out of my head now.

Saw another last night.... Radio Craghead for anyone late with news.

Goes back to when we used to stand next to a group of less from Stanley in the Fulwell End. One of our lot listened to Radio5 all the time, one of theirs listened to Metro. Our lad would announce one of our rivals score.... 5 mins later the Stanley lad would break the same news so we decided he was listening to Radio Craghead

Someone with money who shows it off - Flash Harry.
Pah... Seb

Fancy Dan

Big stocky lads - Mongo

Last edited:
Couple of gadgees up Morpeth.....

Davey ‘Two Heeds’

and the well thought out

Davey ‘Three Heeds’

Three heeds had a proper micey side mind - that was his third heed

One of my mates is called “The Pallion Pouncer!” as he touched up one of the strippers giving the lads lap dances on my stag do. For my treat I was getting whipped by another stripper - as you do - at the time. Exit stage left with me trousers down round my ankles followed by the bouncers.

His excuse - “I was just helping her onto my lap” by way of grabbing her wabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back